4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Friendly reminder: There is an Off Topic forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2001, 10:39 AM
The missing moderator

lately, there's been more and more way off topic stuff in there. Please remember that there's an off topic forum.

thanks,
-Shing
Old 02-18-2001, 11:00 AM

One more point...

Originally posted by Shingles
lately, there's been more and more way off topic stuff in there. Please remember that there's an off topic forum.

thanks,
-Shing
Thank you, Shing, for the reminder. Let me add a related point.

Forum participants who originate a thread should strive to make the Subject line meaningful.
For example:
Direction signals don't work
is more useful than
Please help!!!!!
Old 02-18-2001, 11:32 AM

the problem is that some of the other forums are basicly joke forums. People post useless things and serious posts get no attention or responses. People in this forum know about cars, whether it's a 4th gen max or an 87 bmw. They give good advice and suggestions. There are only so many questions strickly about a maxima. I'm not talking about posts that about about baywatch, but i don't mind the occasional question about a stereo system or a friend's car. If the person has a serious question that is somewhat related, why not come here and post?
BTW the subjects should be more descriptive than "please help" or "you gotta hear this"
Old 02-18-2001, 12:36 PM
The missing moderator

Questions about Volkswagon should go in to OT forum.
Questions about Integras vs Preludes, should go in the OT forum.
Questions on how to open a on-line business should go in the OT forum.

a question about stereo, sure...
a questoon about tires, etc sure...

If everyone started to ask questions about their friends Chevy, VW, Ford, etc etc... then why call this place a Maxima forum.

I am just trying to keep the truely irrelevant and OT posts to a minimum.

-Shing
Old 02-18-2001, 12:46 PM

Agreement on the excessive off-topic posts and vague subject lines

Although some posts are excellently done and have good information, sometimes, I agree with Shingles comment that some of the posts are a waste of time in the mechanically related forums. For example (not actualy subject lines but you get the point), What color of cat do you have in your Maxima? How many grey squirrels have you run over? Who has pink 13" tires mounted on Hyundai rims on their car? Who has had an appendectomy and through subsequent GI problems have lipid mal-absorption, resulting in bad flatulence that would put out your next-door neighbor? Or How many people here discreetly pick their nose with their index finger and uses the ashtray to discard their nasal mucous-discharge? Please, use the off-topic forum for these.

Also, I agree w/ Danile B. Martin's comment on the subject line. How frustrating is it when some says "All 4th Gen owners please read. . ." and then thinking it's something important relating to a recall or something very serious with our cars, it's about someone asking whether X woofer is better than Y woofer. Or a post like "opinion?" or "Broke.. .:--okay on what? Your tires, your stereo, your sunroof, or is your car making noises that you don't know what it could be, or is it getting replacement M-brand spark plugs being better than N-brand spark plugs? Seriously, if some courtesy could be used and some thought put into the subject lines, some of us would be more inclined to effectively spend more time in helping out those that really need it. And conversely, you could benefit yourself to get more tailored responses, if your subject lines were clear and concise.

Lastly, although it's improved somewhat, the search engine should be remembered to be utilized to find the information so that we can eliminate duplicate, triplicate, or even one hundred-icate posts on the same topic over and over again.

Just giving my thoughts on this website. I really like that we help each other out and there's plenty of good information out there, but please cut down on the vague and sometimes useless posts in this 4th gen forum. Use off-topic if you can. Have a nice day.