4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Causes to strange tracking behaviour?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 12:27 AM
Schnell kaputt

Causes to strange tracking behaviour?

I ran a couple of searches regarding "road crown", "loose steering wheel" and "tracking" and dug up some interesting information which seemed to confirm my belief. I'd like to get some confirmation as well as any extended knowledge you could provide, or even if the below conclusions are true/false. Anyways, from the searches, I've found that:

- The Max seems to be more prone to tracking (follow bumps on the road) than other cars on the road
- Tracking tends to get worse with bigger wheels/wider tires
- The Max is very sensitive to road crown compared to other vehicles
- There seems to be a "little" play, maybe a few degrees left and right with regards to the steering wheel

With relation to the tracking issue and the steering wheel play, when I drive on roads which have had uneven patched areas repaired poorly, my Max will shift direction slightly to any side even with a firm grip on the steering wheel. For instance, there's this intersection just after a hill where I drive through everyday to classes. When I go over that patched area, the Max will usually shift either a little to the right or to the left (Usually the right) and cause the Max to go into the other lane gradually unless I correct it. All this time, a firm handle on the steering wheel. Is this the typical tracking that's seen on these cars? On my old car, it seem to do the same thing. And could the steering wheel play have factored into this? I've noticed that my steering wheel is off center and would think that that, along with the possiblity for needing replacement bearings, is what's causing these problems? From the threads regarding the steering wheel play, this is a normal thing with the Max? I've found it quite annoying since I do mostly city commuting and our roads are treacherous.

Thanks in advance.