4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

cai benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2000, 06:09 AM
Che

i am about to the point of replacing my jwt pop with stock airbox due to loss of low end......is there much loss of low end with pr cai?
Old 09-18-2000, 11:33 AM
KJ

A cold air intake allows denser air to enter vs. hot intake. Since it's cooler than the air in the engine bay your low end shouldn't be hurt compared to the hot intake. And u will still have more power at the upper end.
Old 09-18-2000, 11:50 AM

Could it be that bad???

Che, could it be that bad??? I have a 96 SE bone stock (except for genuine NYC battle scars) and I was considering JWT PoP or Stillen (same thing, I know) as a start for my mods. I thought about PR CAI and I dont know if I like the idea of cutting a hole in the fender. I like to perform any mods that will be done to my ride. Are the cone filters that bad, I thought about underhood air temps. But could it be that bad. Do you really think you're gonna prefer stock intake over a cone filter type of intake??? Is PR CAI easy to install. Any information would be very help... By now I think I'll improve handling this intake thing is way to complicated to really settle on which is best.
Old 09-19-2000, 03:03 AM
Che

2ndmax

yeah it is actually not that great to me. i've had it for about a year now and i drove my buddy's bone stock 96se and his car feels a little punchier in low rpm's.....i think that i am going to have to cut the hole and get pr cai.....if i get it, i will sell you my jwt intake at a good price.
Old 09-19-2000, 11:05 AM
Cloud

Whoa guys.....

>..I installed the Stillen unit...sounded great...lost power...hot (underhood) air is not dense...colder air is...I installed the CAI from Max-Rev...sounds great...more power...don't go the underhood route.

BTW - the quality of the PR unit doesn't equal Max-Rev's.

Pictures if you want them. If you just want to see the finished CAI, I can send that. If you want the complete install sequence I can send that too.

Don't waste time/money like I did finding out the hard way. Believe me, there is a difference.

Old 09-19-2000, 11:12 AM
I'm needing a caw

Can you send them my way too??->

I thought Pr's unit was pretty good?? I would like to see pics and the install too. Thanks.

Originally posted by Cloud
>..I installed the Stillen unit...sounded great...lost power...hot (underhood) air is not dense...colder air is...I installed the CAI from Max-Rev...sounds great...more power...don't go the underhood route.

BTW - the quality of the PR unit doesn't equal Max-Rev's.

Pictures if you want them. If you just want to see the finished CAI, I can send that. If you want the complete install sequence I can send that too.

Don't waste time/money like I did finding out the hard way. Believe me, there is a difference.
Old 09-19-2000, 12:18 PM

Show me the money!!!

I'd love to see pics of the MaxRev's CAI and step by step installation. How hard was it. And what the heck did you use to cut the hole? Where was the hole cut? How big are you supposed to make the hole? By the way October 2000 Sport Compact Car has an ad for AEM in which they advertise an Air Bypass Valve that they claim " eliminates the chance of water ingestion should the filter element become wet..."

Does such a contraption exist for Maxima's CAI. Sometimes I hate Honda because everyone makes parts for them. It turns out that any mods they need are dirt dirt cheap.

Still love my MAX!!!
Old 09-19-2000, 03:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Show me the money!!!

Can you also send pic and info on the CAI. I really need something to go on when I order mine.
Old 09-19-2000, 07:53 PM
Cloud

Re: Show me the money!!!

Originally posted by 2ndMAX
I'd love to see pics of the MaxRev's CAI and step by step installation. How hard was it. And what the heck did you use to cut the hole? Where was the hole cut? How big are you supposed to make the hole? By the way October 2000 Sport Compact Car has an ad for AEM in which they advertise an Air Bypass Valve that they claim " eliminates the chance of water ingestion should the filter element become wet..."

Does such a contraption exist for Maxima's CAI. Sometimes I hate Honda because everyone makes parts for them. It turns out that any mods they need are dirt dirt cheap.

Still love my MAX!!!
You should have the pics in your email INBOX.

Regarding the hole; you'll need a 3.5" hole saw (sharp). You can see the location in the photos I sent you.

Regarding the water issue; if you remember that Maximas are not amphibious vehicles you shouldn't have a problem. The filter cone is protected up in the left front fender well. The fender liner protects it and unless you submerge your Max above the axles you don't need to worry about it. I live in AZ so we don't get frequent rain but when it does rain it comes down all at once. Also, this car get's into other climates often (CO,UT,NM,CA) where I've encountered heavy storms without water problems.

Old 09-19-2000, 07:54 PM
Cloud

Re: Re: Show me the money!!!

Originally posted by 96BLUMAX
Can you also send pic and info on the CAI. I really need something to go on when I order mine.
Send me your email address if you want the pics...you don't have one listed in your profile.

Old 09-20-2000, 05:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can you post the pics somewhere? If not can you send them my way. Where did you get the CAI?