4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

The definitive spring/strut thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 06:47 PM
MaximaFreak

The definitive spring/strut thread

Okay. I say: "enough". I've seen more "should I use GR2's/Blues with my [insert brand name here] springs" threads in the past few weeks than I ever cared to. All the answers always vary because opinions run strong. I'm going to give you all the most straightforward and accurate answer you will see:

No.

Now, before you are all up in arms. Note the language. I saw threads asking if they "should" use them, not "could". You "can" use anything you want, but it doesn't mean you "should". FACT: Statistically, MOST situations in which GR2's or Tokico Blues are used with any aftermarket lowering spring will result in less than optimal performance, comfort and overall driving experience. Could you get lucky? Sure you could. People win the lottery too.

Most who will say theirs are fine probably will not have anything to compare it to. I used to think mine were fine until I bought my wife a 2001 Max - at which point I had a pretty direct comparison. My car felt like crap. Not riding as a passenger so much, but driving, there was lots of road feel through the steering wheel, speedbumps hurt, dips on interstates kept bouncing and bouncing, all that. I thought it was because I was dropped and was unavoidable and I was flat out wrong - and I can admit that. I was ignorant to how a Maxima should feel in a normal road situation. Sure my car was stock at one point, but we all know that's no comparison - it's like a big rocking and swaying boat around turns.

Get KYB AGX's or Tokico Illumina's or if you already have and hate your blues, buy the king of them all ... the Koni insert and have it fitted to your Tokico body. And for those that will ask, yes, AGX are complained about by some as too stiff in the front. True? I don't know ... I don't own them. I'll let an AGX owner tell you that. But, I'll tell you this: I'm spending the extra $60 and getting Illumina's.

There's no real stats in on this strut and I'm taking a chance on an unproven product, but if price dictates quality in this case, it should perform close to the Koni.

If you don't have the money for them, but have money for GR2's or Blues: Be prepared to possibly waste up to $300 on aftermarket struts that could end up feeling as blown as the stock ones would have if you would have kept your money and saved up ~$200 more for adjustable struts. This is only a warning. I'm openly admitting that you may end up not feeling so shorted because you don't have anything to compare it to, or simply don't mind the diminished ride quality offered by a GR2/blue, but let me just assure you, you are.

In the end, as I step down off my soapbox, do whatever you want. I'm not telling you you have to do anything, nor do I mean this to be offensive to people who currently employ this spring/strut combination. This is a purely informational thread. Hope it helped.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:04 PM
Master Will

it has helped me in my future decisions ..

Old 10-29-2003, 07:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

good thread - you always get what you pay for !!!

had Sprints with KYB AGX - loved it in summer - hated it in winter

now on front Tokico's HPs up front and KYB AGX in rear with H&R springs - love it on smooth roads - it gets bit harsh on bad roads. again things are smooth in summer - now it is getting cold and the car is starting to feel rough again

I will put stock SE springs for winter just to see how things will feal again.

Nick
Old 10-29-2003, 08:08 PM
I'm so hood

I still think people are going to try to worm out on $$$ by buying blues/GR-2s and coupling them with chopped OEM springs...

j/k, but only partially. You can only give people so much information when it comes to them making the choice. It's definitely all out there for them to mull over if they so choose.

If you want to get to talkin about "should"s, I could say a word or two about those tails (yes I know that's more subjective, so don't get offended)
Old 10-29-2003, 08:16 PM

good thread - you always get what you pay for !!!

had Sprints with KYB AGX - loved it in summer - hated it in winter

now on front Tokico's HPs up front and KYB AGX in rear with H&R springs - love it on smooth roads - it gets bit harsh on bad roads. again things are smooth in summer - now it is getting cold and the car is starting to feel rough again

I will put stock SE springs for winter just to see how things will feal again.

Nick
Old 10-29-2003, 08:27 PM
living out of a maxima...

I've got Illuminas with Progress springs, and I am completely satisfied. The ride is very comfortable, relatively speaking, and I mean relative to Tokico\Eibach in my 92 and stock SE and cattman gen 2s in my 99. It's only a little harsher than stock and still handles like a lowered car should.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:36 PM
DoGGy

Man there is no need to even post a thread and try to explain it to people. its simple,

You Get What You Pay For

but i do agree, 2 many people ask suspention questions these days, i guess its just that they are not confident enough about what they are going to purchase, i do give em credit tho, 2 many choices out there and u still know nothing about suspention mods unless u've drove a car with aftermarket shocks and springs, then u know how it feels. words/opinions can never describe how something feels/should feel.

Old 10-30-2003, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by DoGGy
words/opinions can never describe how something feels/should feel.
SO TRUE! SO does anyone in the NY area with a progress/agx setup wanna give me a ride B4 I make my purchase? I'd really apreciate! My car already rides a lil rough with the 18's but my stock suspensions got 92k on it. If u can email/im me croman183@aol.com
Old 10-30-2003, 08:52 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

We already have a definitive suspension thread.

Search works wonders:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=102335
Old 10-30-2003, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by mzmtg
We already have a definitive suspension thread.

Search works wonders:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=102335
Well, that one isn't quite up to date... since we have Illuminas now. I may just be biased, but I prefer: http://maxmods.dyndns.org/?MaximaHandling
Old 10-30-2003, 10:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I bet most people don't pay attention to the bump stops after they lower the car.

The OEM GXE/GLE bump stop in the front is simply too long and too firm for any aftermarket lowering spring and the ride will suffer no matter what strut is used. The SE bump stop is softer and more progressive so it yields a far nicer ride.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:40 AM

Just my thoghts here, since we all live relativele close to on another try hooking up with a few of the guys who have the setup that you are looking for. After a few runs you can come to your own conclusion, as the guys have said, you get what you pay for.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by carlosr
SO TRUE! SO does anyone in the NY area with a progress/agx setup wanna give me a ride B4 I make my purchase? I'd really apreciate! My car already rides a lil rough with the 18's but my stock suspensions got 92k on it. If u can email/im me croman183@aol.com
92k is nothing for a stock suspension... unless your shocks are blown.. if you lower your car your ride will be even firmer