4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

cylinder 1 misfire, need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 06:39 PM

cylinder 1 misfire, need help

Having a problem with a cylinder misfire (cylinder #1). I replaced the plugs about 2 months ago, and when I took it out, I found it was soaked in oil. I replaced it, and it still didn't work. I put in a new coil pack, still missing. Not sure what else to do. Interestingly, when I ran the check engine codes, I got a 0603 and a 0406. 0603 referred to cylinder 6, but I checked all the plugs, and cylinder 1 (near the firewall, closest to the passenger side) appeared to be the problem. the 0406 code is undefined. Any ideas?
Old 11-03-2003, 06:43 PM

Fuel injector?
Old 11-03-2003, 08:47 PM
Always sunny in philly

i had the same problem once i changed the spark plugs...cyliner 1 misfire. but once i drove it down to the garage the code came up and the checks were done, but nadda.

maximas=mysterious
Old 11-03-2003, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by chillinmax
i had the same problem once i changed the spark plugs...cyliner 1 misfire. but once i drove it down to the garage the code came up and the checks were done, but nadda.

maximas=mysterious

Mine worked fine after the spark plugs were replaced. This problem just surfaced about a week ago. I changed the coil pack, but the problem still persists. I'm thinking it has something to do with the oil on the plug. The plug was pretty much covered in oil, but apparently a brand new plug didn't relieve the problem. And I don't believe its the fuel injectors either, though I can't say for sure. I had the injector for cylinder 1 replaced a couple years ago, and I've been using premium fuel and fuel injector cleaners on a regular basis since then.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by dipitydoo
Mine worked fine after the spark plugs were replaced. This problem just surfaced about a week ago. I changed the coil pack, but the problem still persists. I'm thinking it has something to do with the oil on the plug. The plug was pretty much covered in oil, but apparently a brand new plug didn't relieve the problem. And I don't believe its the fuel injectors either, though I can't say for sure. I had the injector for cylinder 1 replaced a couple years ago, and I've been using premium fuel and fuel injector cleaners on a regular basis since then.
Sounds like an injector issue to me. I just changed mine a few weeks ago. Almost changed the coil pack in error too. Mine had the mis-fire, but that disappeared on my drive to the mechanic the next morning. We changed it out anyway and car has been fine ever since.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by 95bluse
Sounds like an injector issue to me. I just changed mine a few weeks ago. Almost changed the coil pack in error too. Mine had the mis-fire, but that disappeared on my drive to the mechanic the next morning. We changed it out anyway and car has been fine ever since.
Are all injectors the same or are they different for the front and rear cylinders? Reason I ask is because if it is the injectors, I can get one for real cheap at a junk yard, but I heard it is a lot easier to pull the front ones as opposed to the rears.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by dipitydoo
Are all injectors the same or are they different for the front and rear cylinders? Reason I ask is because if it is the injectors, I can get one for real cheap at a junk yard, but I heard it is a lot easier to pull the front ones as opposed to the rears.
You can see the front 3 and remove them easily, but for the rear 3 you have to remove the intake manifold
Old 11-04-2003, 05:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you have oil on your plug then check your valve cover gasket.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by slop00
If you have oil on your plug then check your valve cover gasket.
When I did my tuneup, one of the plugs had lots of oil and another had a little bit of oil and the other 4 were fine. How do you check the valve cover gasket?
Old 11-04-2003, 05:30 PM

My car is getting worse now. Today, after fueling up, all cylinders fired up for the first time since my problem started a week ago. After reaching my destination, I turned off the car, and when I tried to restart it, the car would start up, but the rpm wouldn't hold at idle. The car starts, but the rpm would drop immediately and the car would die unless I gave it gas. What gives?