4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

y-pipes for 4th gens!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2001, 02:12 AM

What are the pros and cons of all the available y-pipes for the 4th gens? thats Stillen,Cattman, Warpspeed for both the aluminized and stainless steel. People with y-pipes on, i need your opinions please!! good or bad. It can be horsepower, noise, quality, looks, price and customer service, warranty/returns.
Old 02-21-2001, 02:27 AM

arent there

nuff posts about these ypipes?
Old 02-21-2001, 02:38 AM

Sorry but

i did a search and didn't get any of the info i'm asking for now.
Old 02-21-2001, 04:54 AM
JMX

Why don't people just answer the the damm questions??
Of course we are going to use the search, most of the time one can't find the right answer to the question. I thought we were a team, sometimes you guys get smart for no ****ing reason. FOR THE RECORD:Those who do can kiss my ***!!
When someone ask for help give it to them, ****, its not hard. WHATS THE BEST OVERALL Y-PIPE?????????????????
Old 02-21-2001, 05:15 AM

i could not agree with you more jmx

i am so sick of seeing that ********, "thats a faq do a search" ******** if you don't have a answer than don't reply. this is suppose to be a community to help one another if i know an answer to something you should reply. i myself will always reply regaurdless how many times the subject has been covered i am glad to see someone else out there feels the same. this board is getting very unfriendly and it should not be that way.....louis
Old 02-21-2001, 06:07 AM

Re: i could not agree with you more jmx

Originally posted by loup1276
i am so sick of seeing that ********, "thats a faq do a search" ******** if you don't have a answer than don't reply. this is suppose to be a community to help one another if i know an answer to something you should reply. i myself will always reply regaurdless how many times the subject has been covered i am glad to see someone else out there feels the same. this board is getting very unfriendly and it should not be that way.....louis
i agree, if u can't or don't want to answer the question just don't reply. the search doesn't work all the time.
Old 02-21-2001, 07:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The search works most of the time, but you have to narrow down your search to find what you want. Everyone is also encouraged to post a topic <i>Relevant</i> to the thread so that you can find the post later on. The people who complain about searching are usually Newbies and Lurkers (notice a trend). Once you've been on the board a while you'll know.

To answer your question:
I just installed a Stillen SS Ypipe on my car last nite, and I love it. My custom exhaust was pretty quiet before, but now it gets a nice deep tone. I got some extra noise, but I wouldn't describe it as "bees in a can". My friend w/ an Integra has "bees in a can", and it's not the same sound. When I put my exhaust on I removed the resonator so I get a little bit of a metal sound w/ the ypipe. There is a hiss at WOT which sounds somewhat similiar to a turbo setup. The ypipe wasn't too hard to put on, but I had some trouble with a few of the bolts. There are 2 bolts on the cat and 3 on each flange of the ypipe. All of my bolts were 14mm on my 99SE (unlike most posts/FAQs I've seen). It's also best if you use a universal socket with a deep socket 14mm attached to a breakover bar or torque wrench. My 6" ratchet just didn't give me enough torque to get the bolts off. The 18" breakover bar did a much better job
The only difference between other FAQs I've seen is that I had 3 or 4 smaller 10mm bolts located in the middle of the ypipe that held it in place after removing the 8 main bolts. It took me a good 10 mins to figure out why the ypipe wouldn't drop down. Also note that I used ramps rather than jackstands.
Hope that's comprehensive enough for ya.
-hype
Old 02-21-2001, 08:24 AM

another thing!!

Another pet peeve of mine is the fact that half the topics on the board do not even relate to the damn title...for example..this one..started out Y pipes..then turns into an argument over why people don't post the answers..really annoying..just my 2 cents...stick to the topics please..

saber
Old 02-21-2001, 11:00 AM

Probably no one really knows for sure because who's had all the different ones on their car, right? We can each give you our opinion of our own.
I bought the Warpspeed because of price, namely. I don't need stainless steel, because the factory wasn't even aluminized! So I feel that aluminized will be more than adequate. The fit was great, sound isn't affected until you floor it and it and I can barely hear it over the POP charger, performance is awesome. My guess is that they'll all perform the same. You mentioned looks, to me it does not matter because even if you were putting it on a show car, the judges would have to have your car 3-4 feet off the ground to even see it. I think the Stillen pipe is the only one marketed as "pretty" although I haven't seen a pic of any y-pipe that I thought was ugly. The welds on the Warpspeed pipe are all uniform and nicely done which to me suggests quality. Although my pipe is aluminized steel, the flex section is stainless steel which is quality to me.
just my two cents
Old 02-21-2001, 03:14 PM

I agree with Bigtexan on the ypipe brand. I probably would have bought a Warpspeed pipe, but I got a Stillen SS for less. Couldn't argue with that
-hype
Old 02-22-2001, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by xHypex
I agree with Bigtexan on the ypipe brand. I probably would have bought a Warpspeed pipe, but I got a Stillen SS for less. Couldn't argue with that
-hype
I'm pretty sure that the stillen Y-pipe isn't Stainless steel. Only the Cattman and the Warpspeed are available in a stainless steel version. I believe that the stillen Y-pipe is mild steel with a protective outer coating.
Old 02-22-2001, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by xHypex
The search works most of the time, but you have to narrow down your search to find what you want. Everyone is also encouraged to post a topic <i>Relevant</i> to the thread so that you can find the post later on. The people who complain about searching are usually Newbies and Lurkers (notice a trend). Once you've been on the board a while you'll know.
Hype, Glad you finally got that ypipe installed. Sorry for a little delay there..Let me know what your plans for the weekend, so maybe we can test it out sometime during the weekend