4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Climate Control Problems...please HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 05:33 AM
Pizda Boy

Climate Control Problems...please HELP.

Very strange but...
I have a 98 auto climate control and when the temp for the heat is set to 85 (which is the highest) it blows hot air which is normal....but when i turn it down one degree to 84 it starts blowing cool air, like in the 70's temperature.... what could be the problem, does anyone know???
I fry when it's set to 85 but freeze when it's set to 84....
Any suggestions are appreciated
Old 11-14-2003, 07:12 AM
Pizda Boy

bump........anyone???
Old 11-14-2003, 02:02 PM
Pizda Boy

bump......don't know if it's the climate control or anything else....help
Old 11-14-2003, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by MaxedOutOfCash
Very strange but...
I have a 98 auto climate control and when the temp for the heat is set to 85 (which is the highest) it blows hot air which is normal....but when i turn it down one degree to 84 it starts blowing cool air, like in the 70's temperature.... what could be the problem, does anyone know???
I fry when it's set to 85 but freeze when it's set to 84....
Any suggestions are appreciated
There's something quirky about it--I have a 98 too. I have had it set to manual, yet somehow when I change the temp, the vent controls changed and it went to ECON. I suspect something flawed in whatever controls its logic.

Can you keep your setting on MANUAL and be able to use the heat properly? Because the only thing that ECON does is choose the vent controls and fan speed.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:19 PM
ivelweyz

Mine is messed up too. I can't get cool air from the dash vents. If I set it for the leg vents it's freezing but the dash vents are not working. MooC take it to an A/C technician, maybe it needs to be charged...

Old 11-14-2003, 06:23 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

MaxedOutOfCash - One of your sensors is probably not working correctly. I suspect the inside cabin temp sensor. When you set the climate control to 85, which is as high as it goes, it basically tells the system to go full hot. If your cabin temp sensor is reporting an incorrect reading of lets say 80 deg, then as soon as you come down to 84 the system starts mixing in cold air.

There is a way to trouble shoot the system and read the values of the various sensors it uses. The factory service manual may have that procedure in it. I think I've even seen it posted here a long long time ago. It might be worth a trip to Nissan to have that system looked at.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:18 PM
Pizda Boy

thanks Tom.....I'll look into it tomorrow....
BTW: Could we meet someday? I want to change my suspension and I think I might go with the setup you have if I like the ride...also i'd like you to do it for me...I live in Wallington so i'm like 5 minutes away....my tranny is being rebuilt on monday for the 3rd time under warranty so possibly next weekend maybe???
Old 11-14-2003, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by MaxedOutOfCash
thanks Tom.....I'll look into it tomorrow....
BTW: Could we meet someday? I want to change my suspension and I think I might go with the setup you have if I like the ride...also i'd like you to do it for me...I live in Wallington so i'm like 5 minutes away....my tranny is being rebuilt on monday for the 3rd time under warranty so possibly next weekend maybe???
I never had the same problem with my '96 auto climate control, but...

I had my radio reserviced. When I pulled out the center console stack to get the radio out to ship it off, I pulled apart the climate control housing. I noticed the cabin temerature sensor was heavily coated with gunk (dust, etc). I cleaned most of it off with a Q-tip and actually noticed a mild improvement in the air the unit commands. Works better than it did when I didn't even think there was a problem.

Best of all, its a free fix... may take you all of 3-4 hours if you're inexperienced at pulling the center console out.

Good Luck

Mike
Old 11-14-2003, 08:58 PM
Pizda Boy

i've pulled it out before...takes all of 15 minutes but thanks for the info.....