4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I Have Progress Springs,what Are Your Thoughts On Pairing Them W/ Tokiko Illuminas ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 04:23 PM

I Have Progress Springs,what Are Your Thoughts On Pairing Them W/ Tokiko Illuminas ?

what up fellow orgers should I pair my progress springs with tokiko illumina adjustables ??? does anyone have that combo???? will I have too modify the strut or strut housing? is it plug and ride? I,ve been hearing too many negative things about kyb agx 's lately and I live in s.e. ct. where it gets real cold ( well to me anyway) also, should I wrap the springs with something too prevent them from making any unwanted noises
Old 11-24-2003, 04:28 PM

Never heard of anyone complaining about AGX's. I don't see a problem with that set up...go for it! I wrapped my progress with some plastic coil looking stuff that you can get a radio shack. (go..I'm pretty sure you can find it there)Sorry about the cold...is 80 degrees here in Jax!!!
Old 11-24-2003, 06:37 PM
How 'bout them cliffs?

Originally Posted by Capital15
Never heard of anyone complaining about AGX's. I don't see a problem with that set up...go for it! I wrapped my progress with some plastic coil looking stuff that you can get a radio shack. (go..I'm pretty sure you can find it there)Sorry about the cold...is 80 degrees here in Jax!!!
noone complaining about AGX? when was the last time you were here? in the last 2 weeks there must have been at least 4 threads about AGX being too stiff up front, and banging noises in the rear. PAY ATTENTION!!!
Old 11-24-2003, 06:41 PM
living out of a maxima...

I have the Illuminas with the Progress springs and I couldn't be happier. If you want a nice looking drop, good handling, but still with a comfortable ride, get yourself some Illuminas. You won't be disappointed.

As for intalling them, if the coil wrap on your stock suspension is still in good shape (mine was) you can just re-use that.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:37 PM

Sounds good, I myself want the Illumina/Progress setup and I'm going to get it soon. I've heard good things about it, but I would really like to know another orger here in NYC that has that setup to take a ride with. The streets here are really bad, I need to know how bearable it can be. Not everyone has the same tolerance for potholes.

Originally Posted by JeffesonM
I have the Illuminas with the Progress springs and I couldn't be happier. If you want a nice looking drop, good handling, but still with a comfortable ride, get yourself some Illuminas. You won't be disappointed.

As for intalling them, if the coil wrap on your stock suspension is still in good shape (mine was) you can just re-use that.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
Sounds good, I myself want the Illumina/Progress setup and I'm going to get it soon. I've heard good things about it, but I would really like to know another orger here in NYC that has that setup to take a ride with. The streets here are really bad, I need to know how bearable it can be. Not everyone has the same tolerance for potholes.
I really don't find the ride much rougher than stock SE suspension... nothing like the coilivers I had before. You are more than welcome to a ride if you happen to be in the New Brunswick area and believe me there are plenty of potholes to test it out on.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:52 PM

JeffesonM i would like to see your car how the drop and the ride is im close to you i live in Piscataway by river rd. let me know if we can meet. thanks
Originally Posted by JeffesonM
I really don't find the ride much rougher than stock SE suspension... nothing like the coilivers I had before. You are more than welcome to a ride if you happen to be in the New Brunswick area and believe me there are plenty of potholes to test it out on.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by REYMAX77
JeffesonM i would like to see your car how the drop and the ride is im close to you i live in Piscataway by river rd. let me know if we can meet. thanks
I actually work in Piscataway over on Hoes Ln, so I'm real close. Drop me an email and we'll find some time.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:13 AM

I have progress springs an stock se struts..........

Old 11-26-2003, 05:30 PM

cool thanx for the reply jeffersonm how long have you had your setup installed? did you put anything else in suspension wise when you did the install?(dustboots, mounts)
Old 11-26-2003, 05:48 PM

Gee...four threads about bad experiences about agx's...compared to how many positive ones. Pay what???
Old 11-26-2003, 06:14 PM
How 'bout them cliffs?

Originally Posted by Capital15
Gee...four threads about bad experiences about agx's...compared to how many positive ones. Pay what???
four threads not enough? true, it seems a lot of people have no problem with their AGX, however, if you will install yours, and get all the issues, i bet you WILL post your complaints.
ultimately it is up to you which way you go, when i was ready to get the shocks this spring, everyone was on the AGX bandwagon.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:35 PM

I went with KYB GR-2's and TOKICO blues...stiff but overall...good ride.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:18 PM
Who

Originally Posted by dmBK
noone complaining about AGX? when was the last time you were here? in the last 2 weeks there must have been at least 4 threads about AGX being too stiff up front, and banging noises in the rear. PAY ATTENTION!!!

I have had my AGX for 2 weeks now and I have no problems so far. The banging noise that ppl are hearing is the upper spring coils hitting each other in rough roads. At least that is what is happening with mine since I did not insulate the top coils of the springs. Here's a pic of the hose that i used to insulate the bottom coil