4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Installed new Corbeau Clubman seats. Info and a few pics !

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 02:53 PM
Old Maxima Legend

Installed new Corbeau Clubman seats. Info and a few pics !

I got the new Corbeau Clubman seats in black cloth today. They look pretty good, I had to get the cheap ones in order to get a pair, and still need the harnesses.

I got them from a place in Atlanta, GA called Automods for $595 delivered. Again not to bad.

Im a bigger than average person I guess. 6'4" 225 and of course I was praying I could even fit in these. I was going to test drive a Dodge Neon SRT-4 a month or so back and couldnt even fit in the seat comfortably. Each side of the seat pushed up in the side of my legs which made it painful to just sit.

They look pretty good for the money. You think ?

Anyways, back to the new Corbeau Clubmans. After installing them I took a seat and hey I fit ! It was close of course but not bad at all. I adjusted the steering wheel and pulled up the seat and was ready to roll. These seats have a seriously snug feel and fit compared to the stock, leather lounge chairs.

And speaking of the snug fit. It really made me think about a lounge chair seat will definitely make you feel like your handling is lame. With this new seat it sucks you up in the seat and will not let your body sway while your taking a few curves. That was nice.

Best pictures I could take today.

The two main reasons I got these new seats were (1) weight reduction, (2) my leathers were getting old. As for as the weight, the new Corbeau's feel like they are about half the weight of the stocks. The Corbeau seat itself was light as paper, around 13.5 pounds I think. The brackets (which fit perfectly and totally replaced the stock brackets) were a 100% fit. Installation was a joke it was so easy. So if you are ever wondering how installation would be, its a piece of cake. (4 bolts out, screw those 4 back in)

Overall, im satisfied and happy. If you are smaller than me, then these seats are only going to be better, and if you are as big as me then dont be affraid these will work and you will not feel serious pain or discomfort. Its nothing like the luxury leather as for as comfort not even close, but the leathers cant touch the support and tight as a glove fit these new racing seats give.

Well holla back and let me know what you think. If you have any questions I will give answering them a shot. I will also work on some better photos in a few days for anyone who is interested.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:14 PM

The seats themselves look real nice, especially for the price, but I have the same interior as you and black with tan leather interior? Cmon now! Thats just my opinion however and to each his own... As far as the weight reduction goes, anything to help..Your times are very impressive man...I wish you good luck in what I assume is your Quest for 13's?
They would look great if you had a black interior....
Old 11-26-2003, 03:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Very nice man! You should weigh one of the seats while it's out of your car. I've been wondering the weight for a while now. That's a good price too. Do you mind not being able to recline the seat anymore?
Old 11-26-2003, 03:27 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Man, you're really going all out race spec. I don't think I could ever compromise seat adjustability in my Maxipad. I know what you're talking about with the snug seats = better handling feel. I use to have 94 Prelude VTEC leather seats in my Maxima and the Prelude seats were heavily bolstered. I could throw the car into a turn without my body crashing against the door or center column. I got rid of them because:

1) The were very firm which made the ride punishing over the long haul.

2) I wanted to do my whole interior in leather and wanted a cleaner look.

Adding the seats, a CF hood, and light battery and you could be looking at nearly a 100lb weight reduction. Not bad.

Dave
Old 11-26-2003, 04:48 PM
Old Maxima Legend

Originally Posted by MAXimumHP
Very nice man! You should weigh one of the seats while it's out of your car. I've been wondering the weight for a while now. That's a good price too. Do you mind not being able to recline the seat anymore?

I will weigh them, and pass on the info. I didnt move the back much. I set the seat and never moved it, I would only move it up or back.

Originally Posted by slammed95
You will get tired of those seats.

Should have gone with a seat that has a shell, instead of steel tube frame. Soon you'll be feeling the bars and springs in the back rest. There's a reason it's the most affordable one in the Corbeau line-up.

Makes the interior look better though, and definitely reduces quite a bit of weight.

I agree, being bigger doesnt help. Went for about an hour ride and you do sacrifice for the weight savings. You start to notice the side bars in the legs. To bad I couldnt have gotten better. For now its the cheapies !

They would look great if you had a black interior....

well you may be right ! black seemed the right thing to do versus, yellow, red, and what was it blue ? I have a black console, going to change out my old carpet for black, and will be looking for the black back seat.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:56 PM

BAHAHAHAHAHAH! Ok, knowing that circumstance.... hahaha blacks the better choice... I believe it was Max4Speed i talked to at some point, i could be wrong, but he gets interiors from I30s at a great price, he could do all the carpeting/roofliner/rear seat/ for you, i would contact him.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:59 PM
Old Maxima Legend

Originally Posted by 97blackSE
BAHAHAHAHAHAH! Ok, knowing that circumstance.... hahaha blacks the better choice... I believe it was Max4Speed i talked to at some point, i could be wrong, but he gets interiors from I30s at a great price, he could do all the carpeting/roofliner/rear seat/ for you, i would contact him.
cool ! jc whitney has the interior carpet for 200 and max4speed and can find used stuff i guess for half that i think. your right though it should help out, but never look completely cool.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:04 PM
Ford Only.

Man you are brave, I could not roll in those everyday. I drove a SRT-4 and I would not buy that car due to those uncomfortable seats, I prefer my soft leather...ohhhhh....soft leather...

They sure kick **** in the twisties I bet. looks good too.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by dmontzmax
Man you are brave, I could not roll in those everyday. I drove a SRT-4 and I would not buy that car due to those uncomfortable seats, I prefer my soft leather...ohhhhh....soft leather...

They sure kick **** in the twisties I bet. looks good too.
yea i agree with you i had some sparko non reclinable ones and i had them in for one day and my back and my @@s hurt that very first day, that is what u get for buying some cheap seats, but i got more then i bought them for when i sold them and now im looking for some with more pading.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:45 PM

They are cool looking...but they just don't look right in the Max interior....just my 02. cents.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Odd looking in a maxima, but hey, sacrifices for weight reduction! i smell 13s around the corner ceasar...

As for the SRT-4 seats, man, i guess im one of the few but i absolutely love them! One of my friends has a black SRT-4 and thats one of the main things i love about that car (besides it being fast as hell). Also, you guys do know, you dont have to get those viper/recaro (?) inspired seats in the SRT-4, all you have to do is order side airbags and you get the seats from the R/T neon...

Eric
Old 11-26-2003, 09:37 PM
OG :)

why do you need a harness?
Old 11-26-2003, 09:48 PM
Pizda Boy

There are many good adjustable race seats that are also in the $250-$300 area, best of both worlds...
Old 11-27-2003, 03:23 PM
Old Maxima Legend

Weighed the stock seats out of my 97 SE, both seats were power/leather.

Weigh In:
Drivers + headrest: 47 lbs.
Passengers + Headrest: 42 lbs.

Total: 89 lbs of seats

New seats: 47 lbs

Difference/Weight Savings: 42 lbs

p.s. now to see about taking out the seat belts
Old 11-27-2003, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the numbers man. Those things are heavy, that?s a pretty significant weight savings.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:34 PM
Old Maxima Legend

just took out drivers side and passengers side stock seat belts .
they were 7 lbs. total weight savings: 49 lbs
Old 11-28-2003, 05:23 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by Kenneth
why do you need a harness?
im guessing primarily for look, or to feel cool.

no offense ceasar, but you would never need 4 or 5 point belts. yea you would save weight though.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:29 PM
Old Maxima Legend

im getting 3 point, when you take out stock seats, there is no way to use the stock belts
Old 11-28-2003, 05:38 PM
SXN

yes there is. the 2 points attached to the wall stay. take the last point, remove the plastic on the center counsule, ground to the metal frame there, put the covers back on, secure it with a bolt. A lot of people who change to race seats arent ready for full on race harnesses...its common

also...
Originally Posted by slammed95
The corbeau brackets have a tab to mount the seat belt receptacle.