4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Looking 4 B & M short throw shifter reviews

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 09:18 PM
Old Maxima Legend

Looking 4 B & M short throw shifter reviews

if you have a short throw shifter i would love to hear what you have to say about it. (comparison) im leaning towards the B&M but would get the stillen STS if i had lots of money. Post up some reviews and links if some of you can search.

i hear this is a great mod !
Old 11-30-2003, 02:09 PM
Old Maxima Legend

is a short throw shifter a waste of hard earned money ? Or is it just plain out sorry not to have one ?
Old 11-30-2003, 03:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i love my b&m. I have it mached up with an ACT clutch and i love driving the car with this setup. I does take alittle more effort to get it into gears but you get a better feel that way, i love the click you get going through the gears . I hated that stock truck shifter.

Also keep in mind that the stillen is shorter but the throws are longer that the b&m.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I love my B&M too. I think the B&M is better than stock. I guess it is true that it takes a slight bit more effort, but I don't pull the shifter back with one finger or anything. If you pull it back or push it forward with any kind of authority, you probably won't even notice it. The B&M has very smooth operation. I think replacing that squishy rubber deal Nissan gives you with the urethane spherical bearing makes a big difference. The stick is a little shorter, but not too short. I was pleased with the new height. The throw is quite a bit shorter. At first it was a little tight and the throws seemed really short, but shortly after it loosens up and I was rowing through gears like nothing. I still think it is better than stock, not even considering the shorter throws or height. It's a fine built unit, you will not be disappointed in the quality. That said, the shorter throw does somewhat enhance any notchiness your can may have, but I rarely notice this.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:48 PM
Old Maxima Legend

How about some more awesome reviews, and thanks for the ones so far, great ! Also remarks, and name calling for the stock shifter is welcome. Im still laughing about the truck shifter ! lol
Old 11-30-2003, 04:56 PM

There should be no hesitation when thinking about ordering a B & M. I cannot compare it to anything else besides stock, but I do know that this shifter is incredibe. I never even changed my tranny fluid, and it is as smooth as a babys a$$. The throws are so short, that, in theory, you could take away the rear of the gear box (approx 4 inches?), and 2nd and 4th gears would still not hit the panel.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:43 PM

I bought the b&m and I love it. It is a little harder to put in gear but you get used to it and then you dont notice at all then. Plus you get that cool b&m shifter ball.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:54 PM
Old Maxima Legend

so if you are flying down the 1/4 mile shifting with the B&M, there is a much sportier shift versus rowing the boat ?
Old 11-30-2003, 07:55 PM

with the B&M I can shift with my wrist...I love it.. The only things to get used to is that it can be hard to get into gears, but you get used to it, and the B&M sits like its in 3rd on a stock shifter when its in neutral. But when you get used to driving with that you will hate driving other max's w/o it. Just get it Youll be happy with it.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:12 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I do not recommend this shifter to anyone wishing to race. Here is my unbiased opinion:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hlight=shifter

Dave
Old 11-30-2003, 10:40 PM

I felt a b & m short shifter, and it's really notchy, and hard to get into gears. I couldn't tell which gear I was in, since the shift pattern is so close. I'm sure if I were to drive I would grind a gear, or waste time trying to find the correct one. The only thing that I like is how the shifter sat, nice and low but thats it. I personally have the stillen sts, and it sits like stock with a shorter throw. I always know what gear im in, and the actual shifting is like the stock one.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

pacesetter here. think thats the one. got it from CM. 60 bucks. Nice height, but i never had a stock one to begin with. never missed a gear with this one though
Old 12-01-2003, 06:52 AM

I have a Pacesetter, cut down 2.75" (looks sick). Won't know how it is until I get the car back today or tomorrow as it's almost done being converted. I did get to test it out the other day and the shifts felt nice, little tight but the throw was short as hell. Wasn't hard to tell what gear I was in.

-Tony
Old 12-01-2003, 07:43 AM

I don't see how some of you have problems finding gears? It was confusing at first, but once you drive it for a while It's like second nature. I never miss a gear. I think I can shift faster at the track with the B&M as well??

I can see people not appreciating the position. I'm not that tall 5' 7" and have no problems, but if the seat was moved way back, I could potentially see the reach being an issue.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:50 AM

In general, B&Ms are really good, they make good products in general...many major auto mag project cars use their products. The max one i've heard mostly great things about, they say it takes a bit of getting used to, however, once they get used to it, they love it...even when compared to a Stillen STS and others...Araffio, congrats on the 5sp conversion...once you're boosted, you may well have one of the nicest maximas ever...
Old 12-01-2003, 07:53 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by MAXimumHP
I don't see how some of you have problems finding gears? It was confusing at first, but once you drive it for a while It's like second nature. I never miss a gear. I think I can shift faster at the track with the B&M as well??
The problem is the leverage has completely changed and it's very hard to know if you're securely in the detent. I shift extremely quick and the B&M made me think way too much about if I really was in the gear or not. With my cut shifter I can feel when shifter is in the detent. With the B&M the nothiness and overall resistance of the shifter makes feeling the detents nearly impossible. I did quite a few WOT runs with the B&M and knew there was no way I was going to be quicker with it. The throws are extremely short, but I have no faith in landing the gear. That's something I'm not willing to risk when I can only get 4-5 runs in at the track for $20.

Also, I HATE extremely low shifters. I think it looks stupid, especially in the Maxima's rather large interior. I don't like the truck-like OEM height either, but the B&M is way too low.

Dave
Old 12-01-2003, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dave B
I don't like the truck-like OEM height either, but the B&M is way too low.

Dave

If you think that's low, wait til you see how mine sits....you're really gonna hate it...

-Tony