4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Drop resistor mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 12:41 AM

Drop resistor mod

I think that is what it is called N-E-way. My boy Infamous G shoewd me a plug to pull in the Engine bay and it increase the pull in each gear shift, with my automatic. I think he calle dit the Drop resistor mod or something like that. I just wanted to know if this will damage my transmission in the long run. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2003, 12:59 AM
SXN
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yea, it shifts really hard, and is bad for the clutch bands. Some guys put it on a switch and only use it for racing. There is another mod called the "valve body" which gives similar results as the drop resistor, but is good for the transmission, and can actually extend its life. Try looking into a valve body if you have the money.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:23 AM
VQ Wizard

I saw you guys last night at the Circuit $hity but you pretty much kept to yourselves.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:10 AM

O really, what did your car look like and where were you in the parking lot? N-Eway, next time we are there just roll up to us. how much could a valve body job cost and how much work is required?
Old 11-30-2003, 01:19 PM
SXN

its like 450 bucks, but has yielded great results. Some org members dropped .4-.6 in their quarter mile...that is a big big difference. Changing it out isnt too hard, just remove it, stick on a new one...best to have instructions or someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by SXN
yea, it shifts really hard, and is bad for the clutch bands. Some guys put it on a switch and only use it for racing. There is another mod called the "valve body" which gives similar results as the drop resistor, but is good for the transmission, and can actually extend its life. Try looking into a valve body if you have the money.
I thought the resistor mod was good for the transmission, because it takes the slowness out of the shifts, and prolonged the life of the clutch bands??
Old 11-30-2003, 03:14 PM
SXN

nope...its apparently bad for the clutch bands. Some people put it on WOT switches, or just normal switches and use it for racing. If it was good for the trans, why wouldnt every single guy with on auto on the org use it?
Old 11-30-2003, 03:18 PM

I've used this mod before at the track, not bad at all. I enjoyed it. But don't drive around like that, very bad in the long run. I have a friend who did the switch so when if we ever ran into anyone in town at stoplight just "flip the switch". Some people will ask if you're a manual, then just let them know, "automagic".
Oh yeah the valve body is very cool and worth the money, but people have failed to mention that you need to pair that with a Transmission Cooler, because your tranny runs hotter. Don't worry Ironically this mod helps prolong the life of your tranny. I also think you can get the tranny cooler like at Jegs.com

well good luck
Old 11-30-2003, 03:20 PM
SXN

you can get a transmission cooler at kragen or auto zone. cheap, and works just the same

https://maxima.org/shoptalk/sub_modi...er/index.shtml
Old 11-30-2003, 04:20 PM

Cool. thanks guys for the info. The shifting is great and i have rarely seen an automatic car double chirp before, so i think i will only use it a the track.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:23 PM

Yo geeshack heres a link with a lil more info on the "drop Resistor mod" and how to setup a W.O.T. Switch http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=255799

And ya i forgot to tell ya you should get a auto tranny cooler to use, i got the hayden tranny cooler ,think i payed like $50 bucks. it dont come with Enuff hose tho, just tell them when u get it that the package was missin some hardware and they should give ya free extra hardware, worked 4 me.

ya tho we had like 4 or 5 maxima's up at Circuit $hity, nice to see that.
and i seen your car SR20DEN, was lookin 4 ya wanted to see yur mods man, will get up next sat.

Old 11-30-2003, 05:13 PM
SXN

i chirped really bad yesterday going 1-2, with no drop resistor or VB. VB should be ordered and installed soon though
Old 11-30-2003, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by SXN
nope...its apparently bad for the clutch bands. Some people put it on WOT switches, or just normal switches and use it for racing. If it was good for the trans, why wouldnt every single guy with on auto on the org use it?
I don't use it cause its harsh at lower RPM, and considering I don't race I don't need it so that could be why not everyone uses it. But if its bad for it ill take your word for it althought I really thought it was better from reading a loong thread about it one time...
Old 11-30-2003, 09:05 PM
VQ Wizard

My car was the 2002 Sterling Mist SE with the VQ35DE tag.

If you guys want custom tranny work I know of a local shop that will do it. If you guys need installs of all sorts I can do them.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:21 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by phatmax95
I don't use it cause its harsh at lower RPM, and considering I don't race I don't need it so that could be why not everyone uses it. But if its bad for it ill take your word for it althought I really thought it was better from reading a loong thread about it one time...
well, a lot more people would have it if it wasnt bad for the transmission.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:58 AM

SR20DEN, i do remember seeing you out there. Sweet ride, do you have lowering springs or are they still stock? But if you can do any knind of work, do you know how to install struts and springs. I will be buying some soon and there shops are priced very high. If you do let me know.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:37 PM
VQ Wizard

I have Eibach spring on stock Tokicos. And yes I can do virtually anything except auto tranny rebuilds which I would send somewhere else.

Call the guys at Carolina Performance 704-527-0123 to get hardware and install prices. You can search the forums or talk to blubyu2k2 for more spring/strut combo advice. I know most 5th gen owners prefer Tein springs with KYB GR2 struts.

By the way, what are the other shops charging that you would consider too much?
Old 12-01-2003, 01:38 PM

The DR mod is bad for the tranny only when you use it all the time. When you just use it for racing, it actually saves the tranny. Put it on a switch and you'll be fine. DON'T use it all the time.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:54 PM

SR20DEN, the cheapest that I have found are $192.00 just for the front, and then another $192.00 for the back. $400 bucks just for the install! I have friends that know how to do it but prefered a maxima owner do it.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:01 PM
VQ Wizard

I wont have a problem beating a $400 install. However I can't answer for the cost of the parts. Do you know what combo you want?
Old 12-01-2003, 02:27 PM

I planned on buying either Maxspeed springs or the new Tokico springs and pair that with KYB GR2 struts. Would you/ anyone recommend this combo?
Old 12-01-2003, 11:49 PM

um.. back to the drop resistor mod... i got a question to be answered before i go out and do this. can you turn it back on while you are already going? or do you have to be at a stop and then change it from off to on? like for example.. u turn it off so you can have some fun and then while crusing... can you turn it back on so it can shift like normal again? i just dont want to mess up my transmission.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by aznprid972
um.. back to the drop resistor mod... i got a question to be answered before i go out and do this. can you turn it back on while you are already going? or do you have to be at a stop and then change it from off to on? like for example.. u turn it off so you can have some fun and then while crusing... can you turn it back on so it can shift like normal again? i just dont want to mess up my transmission.
You can turn it on and off at any time if you have a manual switch in the car.

However, I suggest a WOT switch as the best method because then it only works at WOT (which is what you want, part throttle shifts are waaay to harsh for normal use).

I used a switch last year racing and kept forgetting to turn it on and off at the track and was rudely reminded when doing part throttle upshifts on the return road and also by the extremely long upshifts on the track when I forgot to turn it on.

This year I went with the WOT switch and it works much better, no turning it on and off and only works at WOT. You could also hook up a switch in series with the WOT to turn it off at WOT as well if you wanted.

The drop resistor mod has been used for 2 years of racing now with no ill effects, people who say it will damage you transmisison are those who haven't and don't use it.

It shifts much faster than any VB Mod and imho is much easier on the transmission. I qualify that with "only if used with a WOT switch"

Anyone who uses this mod at part throttle needs help in other areas that I cannot provide.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:56 AM
SXN

either an in car manual switch or a WOT switch (on a switch )
Old 12-02-2003, 01:52 PM

Jime, so you think doing this drop resistor mod w/ a WOT switch out performs the VB mod? I was planning on getting the VB mod but would rather put the $ elsewhere if you think its just as good if not better and doesn't hurt the tranny......
Old 12-02-2003, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by ohannon7
Jime, so you think doing this drop resistor mod w/ a WOT switch out performs the VB mod? I was planning on getting the VB mod but would rather put the $ elsewhere if you think its just as good if not better and doesn't hurt the tranny......
Yes it will out perform any VB Mod.

All VB Mods give a higher line pressure than stock, some more than others depending on how aggressive they are. Because they are on all the time they are limited in how much pressure they can apply because like the drop resistor, it just wouldn't be driveable under part throttle conditions.

The drop resistor mod is full line pressure all the time. Thats why I don't recommend a manual switch but rather a WOT switch so it will only operate at full line pressure when you are at full throttle, otherwise its just waaaay to harsh and very annoying because of the solid clunk. Probably not good for the drive train at part throttle either.

The more power you put down the slower it will shift at any line pressure. When I run a very large shot it can take 2 or 3 seconds for a shift without the mod, can you imagine what that is doing to the clutches? I would never make another run (spraying) without this mod I believe in it that much
Old 12-02-2003, 04:33 PM
SXN

VB mod and drop resistor are entirely different, effect the transmission different as well. Like Jime said, the drop resistor removes a resistor and allows the trans to get full line shift pressure, thats why its also worse for the transmission than the VB. VB increases the pressure (harder you floor it, the more line pressure the shift gets) by removing the clutch band slip WITHOUT giving full pressure, prevent premature wear on the transmission, and is good for the car.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:11 PM

I know its a little late to ask this and maybe I'm just slow, but what does W.O.T. stand for? Just curious.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:13 PM
SXN

wide open throttle
Old 12-03-2003, 07:37 AM

Well has anyone ruined their transmission w/ a drop resitor mod OR VB mod? I think that would be the true decision making factor. If neither have blown tranmissions than FREE Vs. $450 is an easy choice.........
Old 12-03-2003, 03:19 PM

I heard that, but I have heard others in my area say that is causes more wear on the tranny. SXN, thanks for the info on WOT.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:42 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by ohannon7
Well has anyone ruined their transmission w/ a drop resitor mod OR VB mod? I think that would be the true decision making factor. If neither have blown tranmissions than FREE Vs. $450 is an easy choice.........
...its not a choice between cost. Did you read the thread the difference between the two devices is a good deal. research buddy
Old 12-04-2003, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by SXN
...its not a choice between cost. Did you read the thread the difference between the two devices is a good deal. research buddy

Um, I read the thread. I know you said it is bad for the transmission but I wanted to know if anyone has actually ruined their tranmission by doing it. I havent read anywhere that people have. And if no one has then I would be doin the drop resistor mod not the VB mod b/c like I said, why would I pay $450 when I can get the same results for free. If I did the drop resistor mod I would do the wot switch like Jime said. And like its been said many many times in the past few days/weeks "search is down".
Old 12-04-2003, 05:25 AM
VQ Wizard

Because you can't get the same results for free. The drop resistor mod just allows more line pressure at a lower RPM. It hits very hard down low but at higher RPMs it doesn't make as much of a difference. Modifying the Valve Body is an entirely different animal that allows a balance of harder shifting thorough the entire rev range. It won't hit devastatingly hard down low (unless you want that) but will actually hit harder up top than the drop resistor which is what you want.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
Because you can't get the same results for free. The drop resistor mod just allows more line pressure at a lower RPM. It hits very hard down low but at higher RPMs it doesn't make as much of a difference. Modifying the Valve Body is an entirely different animal that allows a balance of harder shifting thorough the entire rev range. It won't hit devastatingly hard down low (unless you want that) but will actually hit harder up top than the drop resistor which is what you want.

But if I wire the wot switch then it would only be activated at wot, so it wouldnt apply more line pressure at lower rpm's, right? So the tranny would shift normally during everyday driving but when I went wot then the drop resistor mod would activate. I think thats basically what Jime described previously. If not
Old 12-04-2003, 08:49 AM

Why would the WOT switch help at all, by default you get full line pressure at WOT, seems redundant to me.

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/...r03/ask_sarah/
Fourth question down, read.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Skyboarder
Why would the WOT switch help at all, by default you get full line pressure at WOT, seems redundant to me.

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/...r03/ask_sarah/
Fourth question down, read.
You DO NOT get full line pressure at WOT, Sarah was wrong and so was her editor who already admitted it on another thread, seach is down or I would post the link.

I also don't want to get into an argument with anyone but here are the facts.

1. The Drop Resistor mod causes the transmission to shift at FULL line pressure all the time. Full line pressure is full line pressure it doesn't go any higher regardlesss of what you do to the valve body.

2. Valve body mods are a compromise for those who want faster shifts at part throttle as well as WOT but they do not give you as high a line pressure as the Drop Resistor in any throttle position.

If you want maximum performance like I do for racing or anytime you hit WOT the Drop Resistor mod with a WOT switch is the only way to go.

If you want your car to shift quicker at part throttle as well as WOT (still not as fast as the DR Mod) then get the VB Mod. Personally I think they are a waste of money. About the only reason I can think of getting one is that they will save your clutches a bit for normal street driving.

No one puts any more strain on their auto tranny that I do running 12.1 and it holds up just fine.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:56 AM

well said. thanks.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:17 PM
SXN

i told you to research, but noooo. I already said that drop resistor removes the line pressure sensor (in essence) so pressure is at full all the time. VB removes the slip, more daily driver

i said all that already