4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What Is Wrong With My Brakes!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 07:11 PM

What Is Wrong With My Brakes!!!!!

I dont know whats wrong with my car, but im not driving it until it gets fixed. Well the other night, I was going to the Toyota dealership to pick up my bros new Solara (that damn car is sweet), but as i was trying to pull out of my driveway, i put the emergency brake down, put it into reverse, and the car wouldnt move. So i put it into 1st, accelerate a bit, and still nothing. So basically, my e-brake was still engaged, but the handle was all the way down. So i was told that if u drive a little bit it the e brake will loosen. Well the e brake loosened, but my rear brake pad fell off of my car. How the hell can that happen? So now i had the car towed to my dealer and they are gonna look at it on monday. Does anyone know what could have went wrong? Was my ebrake locked too tight b4, do i need new brakes, new calipers(i hope not), or new brkae lines? I have never seen anything like that b4. Your inputs would help a lot. THANKS
Old 11-30-2003, 07:58 PM

They'll probably replace the parking brake cables or something
Old 11-30-2003, 08:19 PM

Either your cables were sticking, or the caliper is seizing. You probably either need to lube your e-brake cables or replace the caliper. The dealer is going to want to hose you bigtime if the caliper needs to be replaced.

If it's not too late, find someone on the boards here in the Philly area:

See: http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15

. . .who can help you with brakes & get your car the heck outta that dealership b4 they own your wallet.

Worst case scenario, you need a rebuilt caliper, rotor & pad set for the failed corner.

(This is a a doable DIY job for the novice backyard mechanic with a little guidance.)

Good luck!
Old 11-30-2003, 09:05 PM

I had the same problem in my 240sx. I had to replace both e-brake cables due to one being bad decided to replace both. Then later found out the driver's side caliper was bad too. Just a thought. Nick
Old 12-01-2003, 03:44 PM

well, the dealership just called. They said that I jsut need new rear rotors and new brake pads all around. Thank god, i dont need new calipers or anything else extensive like that. Well, since i worked at a Volvo dealership over the summer, ill jsut take it to them and have them replace my rotors and such there, and not have to worry about the 650 dollar cost. Can you believe that??!!
Old 12-01-2003, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by magneto112
well, the dealership just called. They said that I jsut need new rear rotors and new brake pads all around. Thank god, i dont need new calipers or anything else extensive like that. Well, since i worked at a Volvo dealership over the summer, ill jsut take it to them and have them replace my rotors and such there, and not have to worry about the 650 dollar cost. Can you believe that??!!
This seems to address the repair of the damage, but not the root cause of the problem. . .

Did they not have any comment on why your brakes seized in the 1st place?
Old 12-01-2003, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by magneto112
The stealership wanted $360 just to replace 2 bulbs, the oil pressure switch, and the transmission cooler line

I already replaced the 2 bulbs ($4 for parts). I did my oil change yesterday and couldn't get the oil pressure switch off with the tools I had. Today I got the oil pressure switch socket and replaced the switch in 5 minutes The oil switch and the socket were about $13 total. I just need to replace the cooler line now and I'll be saving $335+

Going to do the cooler line this week. After that I need to do a brake job and replace a front caliper. Hopefully my repairs will end after that
Old 12-01-2003, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by KWheelzSB
This seems to address the repair of the damage, but not the root cause of the problem. . .

Did they not have any comment on why your brakes seized in the 1st place?

i asked them about that, and obviously they said that the lines and everything else is fine, of course the car fixes itself before it gets to the dealership, but imma pay close attention to that.