4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how to beat a G35

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 08:53 AM

Well I am almost 100% sure you can't twin turbo the Max, and when I asked the guys at PFI they said at 9 psi I would get approx 180 hp. Just check there website, they have a dyno graph on what you would get. Keep in mind it is a T3/T4 Hybrid turbo setup, and they upgrade your ECU as well.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:58 AM

ABK makes some good points.....sorry about the y-pipe and turbo combo, my bad, kinda early here too. I read that boosted engines need larger exhaust piping somewhere around 3 inches. I read it on a study magnaflow did against the issue of engine back pressure (Which is BAD, enough about that).

I have heard about engines kinda busting with that supercharger, I saw someone with their intake manifold buckled under the pressure, but I'm sure when the proper step are taken that should not be a preoblem. Is anyone currently running a supercharger MEVI combo? Would that do the same amout of highend as the turbo Mevi combo, if not more? And should someone get their clutch cryo traeted even if it is aftermarket or is that not possible. Don't know I'm an auto.

But none the less, does anyone disagree with me on my modification combo listed above, what would be better, I'm curious to what others may think.

Thanks

And good luck yet again
Old 12-02-2003, 10:14 AM
ABK

The intake matifold shouldn't fall apart under 9psi, you can hold 15 psi on rubber tubing pretty easily. But for the previous post, 180 hp is kind of low since 4 gen dyno 165 at the wheels stock. I think you mistyped it. Oh my bad about the twin turbo, its a single turbo set up, but it looks kind of wierd. Never seen anything like it. It prolly cost them a fortune to make those headers to the turbo, plus all that piping will result in crazy boost lag even with 9 psi. Still I will stick with supercharger. Plus I don't trust them too much, they say that they run 4 psi of boost and are capable to make more hp then a 10 psi s/c. I don't think 4 psi would yield in massive hp gains (4psi and 270 hp don't know). Wierd
Old 12-02-2003, 10:53 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by SleepyMaxxx68
ABK makes some good points.....sorry about the y-pipe and turbo combo, my bad, kinda early here too. I read that boosted engines need larger exhaust piping somewhere around 3 inches. I read it on a study magnaflow did against the issue of engine back pressure (Which is BAD, enough about that).

I have heard about engines kinda busting with that supercharger, I saw someone with their intake manifold buckled under the pressure, but I'm sure when the proper step are taken that should not be a preoblem. Is anyone currently running a supercharger MEVI combo? Would that do the same amout of highend as the turbo Mevi combo, if not more? And should someone get their clutch cryo traeted even if it is aftermarket or is that not possible. Don't know I'm an auto.

But none the less, does anyone disagree with me on my modification combo listed above, what would be better, I'm curious to what others may think.

Thanks

And good luck yet again
You need to go read the turbo/SC forum. Guys are doing more than you would believe
Old 12-02-2003, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by ABK
The intake matifold shouldn't fall apart under 9psi, you can hold 15 psi on rubber tubing pretty easily. But for the previous post, 180 hp is kind of low since 4 gen dyno 165 at the wheels stock. I think you mistyped it. Oh my bad about the twin turbo, its a single turbo set up, but it looks kind of wierd. Never seen anything like it. It prolly cost them a fortune to make those headers to the turbo, plus all that piping will result in crazy boost lag even with 9 psi. Still I will stick with supercharger. Plus I don't trust them too much, they say that they run 4 psi of boost and are capable to make more hp then a 10 psi s/c. I don't think 4 psi would yield in massive hp gains (4psi and 270 hp don't know). Wierd

Yeah, I meant an additional 180 Hp
Old 12-02-2003, 12:16 PM

Sorry All wrong!!!! Get A 71 Datsun 510 and SR20DET change over+ some mods = 10sec car and one of the best handling.Read one that dusted a Skyline in the tracks.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:29 PM

I agree

Originally Posted by SXN
running enough boost on a maxima to make it faster than a zo6 is a pretty hairy affair
A friend of mine has a 2003 Corvette Z06, and I don't think a max, even with a turbo, will beat it. It has like 410hp, and ridiculous torque. It shoves you hard back in your seat all the way to 130...and you are still not out of 4th. All stock...no mods.
Just supercharge the thing like other are telling you and supporting mods, and you will be doing pretty well. Then you don't have so much money thrown into the thing that you feel guilty, and you can still spank all kinds of stuff on the road everyday.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
A friend of mine has a 2003 Corvette Z06, and I don't think a max, even with a turbo, will beat it.
You sure you wanna stick to that statement buddy??
Old 12-02-2003, 12:38 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
A friend of mine has a 2003 Corvette Z06, and I don't think a max, even with a turbo, will beat it. It has like 410hp, and ridiculous torque. It shoves you hard back in your seat all the way to 130...and you are still not out of 4th. All stock...no mods.
Just supercharge the thing like other are telling you and supporting mods, and you will be doing pretty well. Then you don't have so much money thrown into the thing that you feel guilty, and you can still spank all kinds of stuff on the road everyday.
like i said...i was replying to the guy who said that a boosted max could keep up with a ZO6. It would be way too much for a max to keep up with a zo6
Old 12-02-2003, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by SXN
like i said...i was replying to the guy who said that a boosted max could keep up with a ZO6. It would be way too much for a max to keep up with a zo6

I thought he said it could beat the Z06 in the 1/4 mile
Old 12-02-2003, 12:55 PM
ABK

It's possible. They do what like 12 second and something quatermile. You can do 12s with 280 hp on a max. Plus Z06 lays it down by the sea level and by some highly experienced drivers. Plus there is a video of supercharged automatic on the track sitting on corvetes *** for like 2 minutes, it's somewhere on vqpower.com

Enough been said the guy has to decide either on supercharger or turbo. Close this thread
Old 12-02-2003, 02:15 PM
Lightly modded

y pipe, MEVI, JWT ECU (like Dave said) should be enough, especially if hes auto. if hes stick it will be a close race unless you really know how to drive.

oh yea, get some shocks and springs with 17s and sticky tires. at least you wont get left back in the twisties as bad....
Old 12-02-2003, 04:27 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by IwANnAMaX96
You sure you wanna stick to that statement buddy??
yea, im very sure i want to stick with that. You would have to really well engineer a maxima with a turbo to do it. it would be a crappy daily driver, and have a really hairy boost curve. You could do it, but just any ol maxima with a turbo... no. Close the thread, i can sense its going to start sucking really soon
Old 12-02-2003, 09:00 PM

I wasn't replying to you. Check who I quoted.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:33 PM
SXN

me and him were saying the exact same thing, so why dont you READ THE THREAD
Old 12-03-2003, 12:06 AM

So you're basically saying a maxima with turbo can't take a ZO6?? If so, I really don't know what to tell you. I personally know of a Supercharged maxima that can take ZO6's. FYI, blower+nitrous.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by IwANnAMaX96
So you're basically saying a maxima with turbo can't take a ZO6?? If so, I really don't know what to tell you. I personally know of a Supercharged maxima that can take ZO6's. FYI, blower+nitrous.
does nitrous count? Wouldn't really be legal on the street if you and a guy were reving at a red light. Only good if you guys weren't giving a care about the law anyway and doing 90+ in a 55.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:53 AM

If you want to really smoke a G35 or 90% of the other cars out there for much less than a supercharger go this way:

JWT pop charger
Budget Y-pipe
Nitrous Express wet kit
ACT clutch

out the door you're probably looking at around $2000, but you'll have one bad *** ride....you'll probably need to pick up some new wheels if you want better traction. Of course I've read hundreds of posts about how people plan on spending all this money on their car, if you really go through with it I'd be impressed.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:35 AM

i smoked one off the line going about 25 mph.. it was an old lady driving it.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by maxlinegtr
Sorry All wrong!!!! Get A 71 Datsun 510 and SR20DET change over+ some mods = 10sec car and one of the best handling.Read one that dusted a Skyline in the tracks.

Ok, a sr20det has a starting horsepower of 205 in the series of motors, and the highest hp is the s15 motor with aprrox 250-260 hp. You wanna tell me why the datsun will win? Plus to even get an s-15 motor, you'll be dumping almost 6 g's.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by BudLizard101
hey. i have a 5 speed '99 SE-L stock. my friend recently got a g35 and i was wondering if i could do anything to beat it?(cornering, 1/4 mile, everything)... i have around 7k$ to spend.. is that enough for make a 99 SE-L 5 speed better then the G35? any help is appreciated
--Mike
I find it ridculous that you are a new member and come on here to try and
Are you wanting to post a "kill" later on and make you a big man on the 'net.
If your "friend" would have gotten an M5 you you try to "beat it" too
In the end you'll still have a 99 wRong Wheel Drive, so calm down noob.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:23 AM
ABK

Originally Posted by DaddyMac
Man that's lame
if you such a pesemistic **** you should even go on this forum.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I find it rediculous that your even speaking....

As for beating a G35, i mean with a few mods it wont be that hard. Typical Y-pipe, exhaust, intake, B-pipe, MEVI (for highway purposes) and your all set. That should yeild you some mid 14s and it would just be a drivers race from there. Cmon now, a g35 (stock) is nowhere near fast enough to need FI/nitrous...

Eric
Old 12-03-2003, 12:03 PM

Remove the seats, spare tire, speakers, etc. and a big shot of nitrous. Won't cost you 7k and you can outdrag him
Old 12-03-2003, 12:08 PM

say what you will, I knew this was coming since you all have Maximas and want to defend it. As they say the truth hurts. No hard feelings just pointing out the facts. Sure you can make anything fast by spending money on it, but IMO when he stated "is that enough for make a 99 SE-L 5 speed better then the G35?", no not in my eyes. So what if the car is faster, it isn't going to be better. A camaro could be faster than a Maxima will it be better ?

In other words if they offer this kid a brand new Z-06 or an M3 he will choose a Z-06 because on paper it has better numbers and will that make it "better" than an M3 ?
Old 12-03-2003, 03:49 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

say what you will, I knew this was coming since you all have Maximas and want to defend it. As they say the truth hurts. No hard feelings just pointing out the facts. Sure you can make anything fast by spending money on it, but IMO when he stated "is that enough for make a 99 SE-L 5 speed better then the G35?", no not in my eyes. So what if the car is faster, it isn't going to be better. A camaro could be faster than a Maxima will it be better ?
A lot of us can't afford and/or don't invest every dime on a car. Sure, the 4th gen Maxima is a FWD platform with a beam-axle rear suspension, but I can guarentee you that my 96 SE with stage I/II SFCs, H&R springs, rear strut mounts, Koni/AGX struts, and 17s with ultra hihg performance tires would run circles around my friends G35 in terms of handling not to mention what my car already does to his in the 1/4 mile. With all the suspension work and larger wider tires, my Maxima rides just like my buddy's G35 unless the road is really bad and then my Maxima does get harsher.

Does the Maxima have quirks. Hell yeah it does. Things like overboosted steering, FWD, underbolstered seats, thin steering wheel, and a slightly harsh ride thanks to all my suspension and chassis work come to mind. I will tell you this though, with everything I've done, this car is lightyears ahead of how it was in stock form.

Most of us understand that our Maximas aren't the best things out there, but we make do with what we have and we've come to realize that this chassis really takes to mods quite well. Is my Maxima better than a G35? Nope, but it's damn close. BTW, my next car will most likely be a G35. It will be like a RWD verison of my car.

Dave
Old 12-03-2003, 05:40 PM
SXN

i agree dave, a lot of us dont have that sort of funding going on.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:04 PM

I read on the corvetteforums.com that this guy ran a 11.8 bone stock with his 03 z06. Thats right bone stock. Thats just sick. Most good drivers run 12.1-12.2 but he was an exceptional driver. pretty crazy. And get this....

with drag radials he ran 11.5!!!!!!!
-Paul
Old 12-03-2003, 06:17 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by TheMax95
I read on the corvetteforums.com that this guy ran a 11.8 bone stock with his 03 z06. Thats right bone stock. Thats just sick. Most good drivers run 12.1-12.2 but he was an exceptional driver. pretty crazy. And get this....

with drag radials he ran 11.5!!!!!!!
-Paul
what do you think of that IwANnAMaX96. your buddies super charged max can do an 11.8 (if the max used slicks, atleast take into consideration his drag tire time, 11.5) I really reaaaaally doubt his max could do it
Old 12-03-2003, 09:11 PM

Who said anything about dragging??
Old 12-03-2003, 09:13 PM
SXN

ok, if we ARENT talking about dragging, a zo6 would HANDLE and ROAD COURSE much better than a turbo max too. what is your damn case here?
Old 12-03-2003, 09:39 PM

A daily driven Maxima will NOT BEAT a Z06!!

Old 12-03-2003, 09:45 PM

Ummm... highway runs maybe...Oh gawd never mind...I retire from this newly useless thread...

And BTW TsingTsao, you should visit the supercharged/turbocharged forum sometime
Old 12-03-2003, 10:04 PM
SXN

as you admitted, he couldnt win on the drag strip. and he couldnt handle better on the road course, or in real life traffic. highway runs? no. glad you're giving up
Old 12-04-2003, 01:15 PM

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=692065

I want you guys to read this carefully.

Amen!
-Paul
Old 12-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
You need to go read the turbo/SC forum. Guys are doing more than you would believe
how about a SC MEVI and Spray
Old 12-04-2003, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by BudLizard101
hey. i have a 5 speed '99 SE-L stock. my friend recently got a g35 and i was wondering if i could do anything to beat it?(cornering, 1/4 mile, everything)... i have around 7k$ to spend.. is that enough for make a 99 SE-L 5 speed better then the G35? any help is appreciated
--Mike
I read this post and I had to respond. I have actually ran a G35 and I beat him by maybe a car lenghth in the quarter. I have a 96 with exhaust, injen, pulley. For being a stock car it is quick. Good thing he didn't have any mods. But then again my car is 7 almost 8 years old and cost maybe 1/5 of his car. Happy sledding.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:31 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by TheMax95
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=692065

I want you guys to read this carefully.

Amen!
-Paul
even a stock airbox...everything like it came off the show room floor. told ya the zo6 was fast
Old 12-04-2003, 06:46 PM

keep in mind this G35 is stock eh? you go spend 6k to beat him and he'll drop 6k and blow you doors off.....this is a cat and mouse game ur playing and im afraid the G35 is the cat.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:04 PM
SXN

my friend and me do this. he has an integra...and i always smoke him. he tries more and more every time. MR2 guys do this too

Quick Reply: how to beat a G35