4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car wont crank anymore! :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 05:07 PM

Car wont crank anymore! :(

Well to make a long story short, a few months ago my car was stolen, ignition ripped out, finally got it back.. anyways.. I was able to still drive the car by turning the ignition with a screwdriver, and I used to turn it over at least once a week for a few months.. I didn't turn it on for about 2 1/2 weeks before I finally got the ignition replaced....

I couldn't be there when the locksmith changed the ignition but he informed me that the battery was dead so he was unable to test the new ignition.. Ok thats fine, I go that night and charge the battery and he said he would be back in the morning. I wait for him in the morning and the battery is dead again! <-- brand new battery(they stole mines) and now its dying every day... We put the jumpers all the relays click but the starter just doesn't turn with the key..

He said it was an electrical problem to call a mechanic, I just re-built the starter a few months before and he seems right when I turn the key I hear the relays clicking but no starter motion... If the alternator was bad would the starter not turn over???

I tried banging on the starter but that didn't work.. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated thanks guys.

Sorry I didn't expect to make it so long...

Also, I dont know why the battery keeps dying???

-s0ber
Old 12-07-2003, 05:13 PM

Maybe you have a short somewhere? If I were you, I would take the starter out and test it to see if it turns and pulls out to engage the flywheel.

Also, if it is a 5-speed, try pop starting it and see what happens.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by PoePoe2797
Maybe you have a short somewhere? If I were you, I would take the starter out and test it to see if it turns and pulls out to engage the flywheel.

Also, if it is a 5-speed, try pop starting it and see what happens.
Some guy stuck a screwdriver in there while the key was turned, the starter spinned but it never engaged into the flywheel... So you think the starter is the culprit? It was sitting there for a good while before I got to actually try to start it..
Old 12-07-2003, 05:23 PM

It could be, the starter has 2 circuits, one to engage the teeth to the flywheel and one to spin it. If its spinning like you said then I would just take out the power cables going to the starter, sand them a little to ensure good contact and put them back where they originally were and see if it works. This was the problem with me once when I got stranded. The circuit that engages the flywheel was fine but the power cable that goes to the solenoid that controls the spinning was so corroded that it wasnt making good contact.

Also check the ground wire to make sure its in good condition and still connected
Old 12-08-2003, 10:41 AM

Would this drain the battery? My stereo was ripped out as well, maybe somethings touching there but I doubt if it is the starter that its going to drain the battery like that, its brand new... :\.. maybe its just a cheap battery.