4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What was the deal with the Ground Control Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2001, 10:55 PM

- Can someone remind me about what was up with the Ground Control Coilovers. I can't use camber plates for the class I'm getting into with autocrossing, so that means that I can't use the Cattmans. I need to know:

1. Where to find them.
2. Price.
3. What springs are used (I think that it's Eibach).

- I plan on running Koni shocks with the set-up, but how do I adjust the rear shocks? I seem to remember them being harder to adjust than the fronts.
- Sorry if the questions are a bit Newbie-ish, but I do appreciate everyone's help. Thanks. ;-)
Old 02-26-2001, 11:06 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

Hey

Price can range between $340-$400. Ground Control uses Eibach ERS springs. the default spring rate should be 450 in front and 300 in back. I think Cattman used 375 all around so you can opt for those. Rear shocks arent external adjustable so you have to pull it out, compress it and turn. The fronts you use the **** provided...hope this helps..later

oh, and you can have Koni revalve the struts for more aggressive damping and even have the shock bodies shortened.
Old 02-26-2001, 11:21 PM

Hey, thanks for the help.

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
Hey

Price can range between $340-$400. Ground Control uses Eibach ERS springs. the default spring rate should be 450 in front and 300 in back. I think Cattman used 375 all around so you can opt for those. Rear shocks arent external adjustable so you have to pull it out, compress it and turn. The fronts you use the **** provided...hope this helps..later

- Thanks for the detailed help. Do you think that the 450/300 pound springs are the right setup? Cattman offering the same spring rate at all four corners never really made sense to me. A friend recommended going with 400/375 front to rear. Any thoughts on the ideal setup?
- For the Koni's, do you have to take the whole rear shock out of the car? Is there any way to adjust it by just removing the wheel or something - or do you really have to take it completely off of the car?
- Thanks again, Matt.
Old 02-27-2001, 06:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The choice of rates has to do with suspension geometry --
The angle that the struts/springs sit at relative to the wheel and the distance they are from the wheel --- roll center, roll angle, etc -- it all makes a difference --

You can't just simply say that since the front of the car weighs 50% more than the rear, that the front springs need to be that much stiffer --

For example, I have 450LB/IN springs in the rear and 375LB/IN in front -- front struts at full soft -- rear struts almost full firm -- And the front end still feels as firm if not more firm when pushing down on the body... Ride height is about 2" below stock --

I think if you put 450LB/IN in front and only 300LB/IN in the rear, your car will understeer a lot -- even if you are not plowing the front tires, the car will feel like its fighting you in the turns and feel like it always wants to go straight rather than enter and glide freely through turns... -

Its hard to explain -- you just have to experience the differences for yourself to see how it feels --

Old 02-27-2001, 11:34 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

as Chris metioned, the 450 front and 300 back has major understeer. Even with my Rear sway bar i still get a good amount of understeer. you could try 400 front and 375 rear. Early last year when i called Eibach for the 400 front they had not made them yet. If they do now id be interested in buying them...lemme know please. thanks!