4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

not sure what i should do...rear brake groan/deep squeal...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 02:04 PM
Custom User Title...

not sure what i should do...rear brake groan/deep squeal...

i know it's not my rotor or pads cuz they are relatively new. i haven't changed my calipers and don't know if they ever have been on the car. i've got 106k on it. it's louder when i go in reverse, but the car still moves freely so it's not like it's completely frozen holding it in place. the thing is, i have to drive home tonight and that's about 45 mins away. i don't want to drive if it's gonna ruin my pads and rotors but i don't know what to do. any place that can check them out is closed cuz it's saturday night and are closed on sundays. the places i called said they were closing and if i needed a new caliper(s), it would take until tuesday or so anyway to get in. the problem with that is also that i have finals for school monday and wednesday so i can't not have my car.

i don't know what to do. i thought i had heard it months ago one day but it went away so i assumed there was either something on there or i don't know. but now it's back and worse. i got new ebrake cables last year too so i doubt that they failed. it's so damn cold out and dark already so it's not like i can just look and take my wheel and brakes off to see what the problem is.

does anyone have any suggestions for me???
Old 12-13-2003, 02:13 PM

Does it happen when you press the pedal? Or when you release it and roll forward at idle speed? I know theres a TSB for the latter. Dont remember if theres one for the first. Check the sticky up top.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:55 PM
Custom User Title...

happens whenever i'm moving, worse when i'm in reverse though...
Old 12-15-2003, 11:21 AM

Had the same problem on my 97 Max. It was the emergency brake on the caliper itself. It was seizing on it since I never used the emergency brakes on my car. Nissan installs their emergency brake on the rear calipers. If not used regularly (emergency brakes) they will seize. Had to have them replaced.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:32 AM
Custom User Title...

well it's at midas right now cuz i have to get it fixed. they still haven't diagnosed it but did manage to tell me a lug is possibly cross threaded and might break the stud if they remove the wheel. said that would be $35. i hope i'm not getting screwed. i should have stayed there and watched them to see what's going on with it. i hate leaving my car with people i don't know...
Old 12-15-2003, 12:14 PM
Custom User Title...

they said two new rear calipers and pads plus bleeding the brakes, on top of the broken stud = about $615.....am i getting hosed?????

help!

i need my car tomorrow and the next few days for school and have no other way of getting there so i can't keep putting it off. not sure what to do...
Old 12-15-2003, 01:39 PM

Yes, you are getting hosed. First, what exactly is the problem (the shops diagnosis?)? I'd be very surprised to learn that BOTH your rear calipers need replacing, with only 106k on the odometer. At most you probably need one new caliper, and then new pads on the rears (both sides). The last time I priced out calipers at autozone they were not that expensive.

The real question is are YOU mechanically inclined. This is all work you could do by yourself for less then $200. It doesn't sound like it, so you might as well get hosed by midas....
Old 12-15-2003, 01:47 PM

rear calipers are app double the cost of the front ones. They have the ebrake mecanism inside of them. Still, $650 ! is damn expensive. This is an easy job for a DIY. Expect to pay app $125 per rear caliper net with the core return. Another $50 for pads. That puts you to $300 parts only.

I'm 99% sure they want to resurface the rotors: add $20 each rotor.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:59 PM
Custom User Title...

well as far as being mechanically inclined, i can do some stuff but with the weather right now, i can't do anything here. the wind is bad and it's freezing out. i don't have the time either with school so it's just not a good week for it.

it didn't end up costing as much as that. however i got two new calipers and pads. i do remember a few places i've been in the past year saying they (the calipers) looked bad. i left the receipt in the car and i'll get it later. i was pricey but my dad who's vp of a jeep parts company called a place for calipers, and their remanufactured ones were still really pricey for the rears. the place he called said $343 with the pads & calipers. that on top of the labor with some various other stuff, oil change, brings the price up but it was still a lil pricey. it was all done fast and today, and my brakes feel brand new again. my mother helped me out with some of the money, cuz she's great, as a christmas gift so i am pretty lucky. atleast i have my car back so i can go to school for finals.

thanks guys