4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Do NOT buy these bulbs off ebay...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 03:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do NOT buy these bulbs off ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2448997185

i bought them about a month ago, and one has already blew out. they look good, but the life on them bite. just giving you guys a head up just incase you were thinging about getting them.

-Chris
Old 12-22-2003, 05:15 PM

Damn I just bought them last week. So they only last a month. That sucks!!!
Old 12-22-2003, 10:47 PM

Ebay bulbs suck. I bought some KOBA H4 for the fogs of the maxima. The ended up blowing out in about a month.
Ebay is only good for individual owners looking to make a fast buck. It seems that the used stuff is always in better shape than the new stuff bought on ebay.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Most manufacturers have 1 years warranty. It might be something you would want to look into.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:22 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

You should be happy it blew out. It prolly would have burned your harness in the long run.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:47 AM

i have streetglow bulbs, got them from ebay new for 20$...The longevity of them is incredible...On my last car i was rocking them in an exposed headlight...one with no lense in other words...the bulb STILL lasted a MONTH after that! Exposed to rain, dirt, sand snow, etc etc... i recommend them..but nothing beats HIDS!
Old 12-23-2003, 07:57 AM

If these are headlight bulbs you're talking about, then upgrade your harnesses and you should be fine. I had the same problem, but not anymore.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:28 AM
Always sunny in philly

Hello? HIDS?
Old 12-23-2003, 08:38 AM

I got my Koba bulbs off eBay over 5mo ago, and i have no problems. Still burning BRIGHT!
Old 12-23-2003, 09:01 AM

Its not ebay bulbs that suck people, its the brand of bulbs you buy. Ebay doesnt carry their own bulbs

Also, if those suckers arent sealed, the seller coulda simply opened them and touched the glass bulb...and kaboom, they will blow shortly...

Eric
Old 12-23-2003, 10:39 AM

I was never a fan of Hyperwhites or Super/PlasmaBlues, to me they are fake HIDs, and never look as sharp as HID's do. They alwyas look so dull on the civics I see them on, and in the rain they are horrible. IMHO, I would take a set of stock halogens over hyperwhites (aka halogens with a blue coating over it).
Old 12-23-2003, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Blkmax95c
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2448997185

i bought them about a month ago, and one has already blew out. they look good, but the life on them bite. just giving you guys a head up just incase you were thinging about getting them.

-Chris

Did you touch the glass when you installed them? If you touch the bulb, the oil from your hand will cause the bulb to heat up very rapid and blow out like you said.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:31 PM

You should be happy it blew out. It prolly would have burned your harness in the long run
the bulbs are stock wattage... they are safe in our cars.

Hello? HIDS?
Hello? NO MONEY! lol, yeah, i am pretty broke, and even if i did have the money, i still wouldn't get them. why? because i would rather spend the money on a y-pipe, or a drop.

Did you touch the glass when you installed them? If you touch the bulb, the oil from your hand will cause the bulb to heat up very rapid and blow out like you said
nope, i installed them with a tissue... i made sure i didn't touch them.

-Chris
Old 12-23-2003, 06:27 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I still have Sylvania cool blues as my back up set, bought them when they first came out. They have at least nine months of use and still work. I have been using APC Simulated HID (HID no, blue no, white yes) 9004 for years. They have been in two maximas and in and out of the headlight repetedly. I have beat the crap out of these lights and not a single problem, knock on wood.

I had some purple Cuzo H3, junk, last a month maybe. Wagner Lazer Blue work well, last about six-seven months. Cheap Optilux still going after eight months to a year. (I know Im defeating the pupose of fog lights, they should be yellow!)

I keep it legal, cus colored headlights are silly. Nothing makes me laugh more than a stock car with really blue, wanna be HID headlights.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:07 PM

I bought KOBA's off of E-bay and they rule. They're an awsome white, with a very slight blue tint. They look awsome at night but I think they look even better in the day.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:41 AM
will fly for food

anyone had any experiences with Silverstars? Friend of mine has them in his car and they are lower wattage than stock, but put out a brighter light.. doesnt make sense to me
Old 12-24-2003, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima10to1
I still have Sylvania cool blues as my back up set, bought them when they first came out. They have at least nine months of use and still work. I have been using APC Simulated HID (HID no, blue no, white yes) 9004 for years. They have been in two maximas and in and out of the headlight repetedly. I have beat the crap out of these lights and not a single problem, knock on wood.

I had some purple Cuzo H3, junk, last a month maybe. Wagner Lazer Blue work well, last about six-seven months. Cheap Optilux still going after eight months to a year. (I know Im defeating the pupose of fog lights, they should be yellow!)

I keep it legal, cus colored headlights are silly. Nothing makes me laugh more than a stock car with really blue, wanna be HID headlights.

are you talking about these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2450102640

thanks

Chris
Old 12-24-2003, 11:50 AM

Man those APC bulbs are great they are just as bright as the Silverstars and the price is great WalMart sells them for $14.76 a pair where I live. Since I put them in I haven't had to use my driving lights. They are the ones to get if you can't afford HIDS they don't look really blue but they do a good job of being white and not yellow.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:24 PM

ive got apc bulbs that i bought at pepboys, had em for almost 6 months now and they are burning bright and without any harm to my harness. people complitment me on these bulbs all the time on their birghtness and honestly whats the point of HID if these bulbs where 20 bucks and just as bright. only dif is as said they do suck in the rain, but hey what else are fogs for!
Old 12-24-2003, 04:41 PM
Im izz sexay

I am planning on putting some Koba 9004's in my headlights to match my Koba H3's in my fogs. My fogs look sweet as hell and my "yellow" headlights look cheap as hell. The Kobas are sweet and I had them in for about 3 months. No problems yet.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:05 PM

People with aftermarket bulbs just watch out that the harness doesn't burn up on you. I had that happen with a pair of KOBA 9004. The left bulb burnt the harness and I had to replace the left one. IT was a pain to soter the wires together.
I read somewhere in this forum that our maxima harnesses are more prone to be burnt out(very weak harnesses). An upgraded harness is always beneficial when going with higher wattage bulb.

I'm still learning...
Old 12-24-2003, 05:25 PM

Well last night it happened. After about a week and two days of installation my drivers side headlight blew out. I still have the slyvannia cool blues, guess I wont buy anymore headlights off ebay, seems alot of those dudes are crooks. I emailed that "snappie1" guy, of course havent heard anything yet. I think I am gonna hit up that feedback option if I dont hear from him.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by sharkulator
Well last night it happened. After about a week and two days of installation my drivers side headlight blew out. I still have the slyvannia cool blues, guess I wont buy anymore headlights off ebay, seems alot of those dudes are crooks. I emailed that "snappie1" guy, of course havent heard anything yet. I think I am gonna hit up that feedback option if I dont hear from him.

d@nm man, that was a fast burn! that stinks... i am going to email him too... i wish i didn't leave Pos. feedback for him already...

-Chris
Old 12-24-2003, 05:48 PM

d@nm man, that was a fast burn! that stinks... i am going to email him too... i wish i didn't leave Pos. feedback for him already...

-Chris
I hear that I left positive feedback too. I think if he doesnt email me, I will try to leave some real negative feedback. I thought my headlight needed to be re-aimed or something cuz it started looking green and real low. Then it just burned out, talk about pi$$ed. I'll let you know if he replies.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by sharkulator
I hear that I left positive feedback too. I think if he doesnt email me, I will try to leave some real negative feedback. I thought my headlight needed to be re-aimed or something cuz it started looking green and real low. Then it just burned out, talk about pi$$ed. I'll let you know if he replies.

ok, sounds good... thanks.

-Chris
Old 12-24-2003, 06:07 PM

Yeah man I bought Hyper white fogs for my old 91 max, off ebay. I put them in and with in two weeks they actualy broke the glass cover for my left fog light. I thought **** I must have picked up a rock into it. Then not even a week later blam my right glass blew out.?? How can this be.? The fog still worked just I think it got the glass to hot or something. Weird huh?
Old 12-24-2003, 06:07 PM

No problem man, I just dont like being pimped over some "7000k" headlights.

Leon

GEAUX LSU TIGERS
Old 12-25-2003, 06:10 AM

Kobas are great!!! emits white light not blue
Old 12-25-2003, 06:20 AM

ive been using my ebay bulbs for two years already

my fogs were also replaced 4 months ago. no problems yet
Old 12-25-2003, 10:23 PM

Hey that guy emailed me back. Here is the deal:

Sent : Thursday, December 25, 2003 3:33 AM
To : "'sharku lator'" <sharkulator@hotmail.com>
Subject : RE:

Hi,

Another usual problem could be from condensation. That's when your light housing may have a crack or leak in it and water or fog is able to go through it and eventually burn out the bulbs. Try to put the still good bulb on the side that got the bad bulb burnt and see if it does the same for that bulb. For example, if the passenger side got burnt, use the driver side's bulb that is still working and put it in the passenger side and see if that bulb burns also. This is to test out to see if it was the bulb or if it was your car. Also, you didn't have previous burn outs on that same side of your car and that you didn't replace the burned out one with mine correct?
Also, when you install it, make sure it doesn't touch anything in the car. Any dirt or grease left on the bulb might cause it to malfunction when it's lit at thousands of degrees. Please see what you can find out.

FOR REPLACEMENTS: I'll be happy to send you a replacement after receiving the 1 bad bulb from you. PLEASE send back only 1 bulb if only 1 is bad. If both are bad, then return both. Please make sure that you return it in its original box AND put a note in with the package stating the item number (WE CANNOT PROCESS RETURN WITHOUT ITEM/ORDER NUMBER ON A PIECE OF PAPER ALONG WITH THE RETURNED ITEM). We will also inspect the bulb to make sure that it is ours in case you switched it for your old one accidentally (we need the correct bulbs so we can return to manufacturer). Here's where to send it back:

Tony Pham
14951 Van Buren St.
Midway City, CA 92655

(MAKE SURE YOU WRITE DOWN THE ITEM NUMBER ALONG WITH YOUR RETURN)

FOR REFUNDS: Please send the bulbs back with original box to the above address along with item number (WE CANNOT PROCESS RETURN WITHOUT ITEM/ORDER NUMBER) and paypal address so I can refund the money (or mailing address so I can send you a money order).

Sorry again for the inconvenience and hope the new ones will work out.

Thanks,
Tony Pham
MLC Distribution, Inc.
("VSCollection" or "snappie1" on eBay)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2003 1:21 PM
To: lamle@socal.rr.com
Subject: RE:

Hey man I just bought these headlights and one has burned out already. I didnt touch it (I used gloves) and it didnt come into contact with my Max. What is going on? On maxima.org they are saying not to buy these bulbs cuz they are crap. How are we gonna resolve this?
Old 12-27-2003, 10:39 PM

Ahhh, the power of the almighty dollar.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:40 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

are you talking about these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2450102640

thanks

Chris

Yeah those ones. They are nothing like Silverstars. They look stock yellow when compared to Silverstars. But on a rainy night they both work like crap. A friend of mine has the Silverstars and one blew after year, and he was not happy, though he loves the bulbs.

I have compared the legal bulbs in 9004 stock wattage. From yellow to blue they go: Sylvania Cool Bules and GE (sold at Wal-Mart) , APC Sim. HID, Wagner Lazer Blue, Silvania Silverstars. I think the new Wagners in the purple box will look as blue if not more so then the Silverstars while staying legal and not melting stuff. Id say the ones Wal-Mart sells (other than the GE) wont be any better then the Cool Blues unless they have some crazy gas mixture, anyone use these? They claim to be white/blue but the glass is almost compleatly clear, which is a good thing!
Old 12-29-2003, 12:43 PM

i ve used plasma glow (purple 55w) in my maxima for over a year the only problem i didnt order the fogs (h3) now they dont match. i might just put some yellow ones in
Old 12-30-2003, 01:40 AM

I've bought several brands of bulbs to date. Some popular ones I have are Cool Blues, Bluevisions, Silverstars, Hiper, Nokya (Purple and Hyper White), APC and Eurodezigns (Purple and Hyper White). I would like to reiderate that our OEM harnesses are weak and will eventually fry with aftermarket bulbs, even if they're stock wattage. Especially if you use your high beams. As far as the best bulb I've used I would have to go with the Eurodezigns. They're inexpensive, D.O.T. approved and have a lifetime warranty. Not to mention they put out a good beam pattern, even in the rain. No, I don't work for them. Just giving input for those of us who don't want to shell out the money for HID's. I have not purchased the KOBA's, but it sounds like these might be somewhat decent as well. I also know that with all the bulbs I have I could have bought the HIDS. I am however turning my MAX into a show car and investing in a 2001 Infiniti Q45t, can't wait. Those cars have nice headlights