4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ball joints and front end bushings

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 07:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ball joints and front end bushings

I recently "re-built" the front end on my '95. I've had it since it was brand new and with 250,000 miles it was developing a "clunking noise". No front end parts had even been replaced with the exception of struts, and I assumed it was lower ball joints, but the standard "put a bar under the tire" test proved negative. However, with this high of mileage I decided to replace all of the normal "wear out" parts while I had it torn apart. After doing everything listed below the clunking noise is gone and it seems to feel a lot "tighter".

1. Ball Joints - These are replacable - but Nissan won't sell them - they want you to buy the entire control arm @ $200 each = $400 total both sides. You can buy a MOOG ball joint only #K9818 from O'Reilly's or other local retailers @ $28 each ($56 for both sides). You do need to have access to an hydraulic press as the old and new ones have to be pressed out / in.

2. Control Arm Bushings - it is not necessasry to spend the $200 each to buy an entire new control arm as you are paying lots for the metal. I ordered replacement bushings for the control arms from suspension restoration parts company (www.suspension.com) and the large and small bushings that they provide cost you a lot less than buying an entire new arm. Total cost for the "energy suspension brand" kit is was $28 which includes both the large and small rubber bushings for both sides. The large bushing is very easy to replace as the old one just slips off the arm. However, the smaller bushing contained in this set is more difficult as the OEM is a differant style and to remove it you have to press out a metal to metal bushing that is OEM. If you repacing ball joints you might as well replace all of these bushings at the same time.

3. Stablizier Links - These are small "L shaped" connecting parts. You can purchase a set of replaceable bushings for these from www.suspension.com,,, but these links are rather flimsy and mine were a bit rusty - I figured I would bend them up trying to get them apart, so I just spent a few more dollars and purchased brand new links - Moog# K9824 from O'Reillys @ $19 each - $38 total.

4. Sway Bar - I purchased new rubber bushings from www.suspension.com @ $7 for the entire set - both sides.

5. Total costs for entire front end rebuild : I spent $49 @ www. suspension.com for the control arm and sway bar bushings (included my request for additional 2-day shipping charge)..... and $100 at O'reilly's for the ball joints and link kits (including tax).... Total parts cost = $150... which is a lot less then buying entire new control arms @ $200 each = $400 total from Nissan dealer... and the $150 included the sway bar bushings and links which are NOT included when you buy control arms from Nissan. I did pay a friend at a local shop $20 to press out / press in.

6. I don't "go to this site very often" so I won't be checking any follow ups posts - so I am going to list my e-mail if anyone has any additional questions on this type of project. I am NOT an expert... just an old fashioned shade tree mechanic with average skills - but I would be glad to help anyone that is attempting to do this on their own. (ajbakaitis@msn.com)
Old 12-28-2003, 08:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

thanks for the info
Old 12-28-2003, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the info, I will do the same shortly, im happy to find the great prices!