4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rims vs MEVI

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 02:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rims vs MEVI

im trying to choose between the two. what would you guys do
Old 12-28-2003, 03:17 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

MEVI. I have both if that makes a difference.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:25 PM

Wims
Old 12-28-2003, 03:44 PM

There is no actual answer to this; it depeneds on what you want.

Remember than a good set of rims are not cheap, and tires are just as important as the wheels that they're on. If you're looking to get 18 - 19 inch wheels + tires, be aware that its not going to be cheap, and remember replacement tires are going to hurt your pocket when the time comes.

An MEVI is a great mod when combined with an ECU which would raise the limiter to 7000, making the full benefit of an MEVI. Without the ECU you might find some loss in power during normal driving at low RPMS, but at WOT after 4000 or so the car will be noticeably quicker. So that said; to get the full benefit you would also need the JWT ECU (or another ECU which would raise the limiter). Many people have had lots of headaches installing and getting the MEVI to work properly, so be aware of what you are getting into.

That said; looking at your max on your homepage, I would go for wheels, unless you are going to get heavy chrome wheels, I would get wheels over an MEVI because of the installation problems the MEVI could have. Getting bigger wheels will allow you to select a higher perfomance low-profile tire, which actually can improve performance. Goodluck on your choice, and weigh out the positives and negatives of each, find out which one YOU rather have.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Wisky97SE
There is no actual answer to this; it depeneds on what you want.

Remember than a good set of rims are not cheap, and tires are just as important as the wheels that they're on. If you're looking to get 18 - 19 inch wheels + tires, be aware that its not going to be cheap, and remember replacement tires are going to hurt your pocket when the time comes.

An MEVI is a great mod when combined with an ECU which would raise the limiter to 7000, making the full benefit of an MEVI. Without the ECU you might find some loss in power during normal driving at low RPMS, but at WOT after 4000 or so the car will be noticeably quicker. So that said; to get the full benefit you would also need the JWT ECU (or another ECU which would raise the limiter). Many people have had lots of headaches installing and getting the MEVI to work properly, so be aware of what you are getting into.

That said; looking at your max on your homepage, I would go for wheels, unless you are going to get heavy chrome wheels, I would get wheels over an MEVI because of the installation problems the MEVI could have. Getting bigger wheels will allow you to select a higher perfomance low-profile tire, which actually can improve performance. Goodluck on your choice, and weigh out the positives and negatives of each, find out which one YOU rather have.

thanks on the factual advice. i just wanted to know what others would do.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

In general, rims will make you slower. Unless you go out and spend rediculous amounts on forged rims which dont weigh much, rims will usually always slow you down. Simply math will tell you that (more weight, bigger rims, more rotating mass, etc). However, wider rims can have their benefits, such as better handling (bigger contact patch) and such.

A MEVI is a great idea, but IMHO, nill without an ECU. Thats pretty much why i wont ever consider buying one. Theres no ECU available for the 99-up. Even though there is a power gain on high end for the MEVI, it does not overcome the mid-range power loss unless paired with an extended redline..

Rims: 800-2000
MEVI/ECU: 800-1000

The choice is yours...

Eric
Old 12-28-2003, 04:26 PM

How about both. This is a hard one. The choice is yours to make.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:52 PM

Looks v.s. power?
Wheels v.s. MEVI?

I would go with the aftermarket wheels. IMO i think that rims considerablely change the outward appearance of the car.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:56 PM
www.autotalk.com

Rims no questions asked. There is no point of having a POS looking FAST car ;-)
Old 12-28-2003, 06:02 PM

Rims..............
Old 12-28-2003, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Max4Speed
Rims no questions asked. There is no point of having a POS looking FAST car ;-)

To his, his own. Some people enjoy keeping a sleeper profile

Eric
Old 12-28-2003, 07:01 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

i'd get an ecu forget the mevi unless u are solely interested in making ur car a 1/4 mile car, bc i believe the ecu will make u happy enough with its mid range hp addition, then u have 1/2 of what u need for the rims, the ecu would probably make u much quicker and the rims then would add to ur looks!
Old 12-28-2003, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by nismos14
i'd get an ecu forget the mevi unless u are solely interested in making ur car a 1/4 mile car, bc i believe the ecu will make u happy enough with its mid range hp addition, then u have 1/2 of what u need for the rims, the ecu would probably make u much quicker and the rims then would add to ur looks!

You do realize and extended redline with no MEVI is utterly useless. A stock US-IM dies out after its peak horsepower is hit after 5500rpm. The point of a MEVI is to increase hp where the stock US-IM would die out.

With an extended redline and a US-IM, all you would do is lose more and more power as you climb higher. It could possibly even make you slower...

Oh, and a MEVI is not for 1/4 racing. Its meant more for highway/high RPM driving. Its benefits arent as apparent during 1/4 runs since you loose mid-range, yet gain high-end.

Eric
Old 12-28-2003, 07:13 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by 99Maxima5sp
You do realize and extended redline with no MEVI is utterly useless. A stock US-IM dies out after its peak horsepower is hit after 5500rpm. The point of a MEVI is to increase hp where the stock US-IM would die out.

With an extended redline and a US-IM, all you would do is lose more and more power as you climb higher. It could possibly even make you slower...

Oh, and a MEVI is not for 1/4 racing. Its meant more for highway/high RPM driving. Its benefits arent as apparent during 1/4 runs since you loose mid-range, yet gain high-end.

Eric
who says u have to get the extended revline? i wouldnt. u can always go w/ the technosquare ecu. also, even if u did go with JWT, who says you have to run the car to redline every time u wanna open it up a little? even now, i dont take my car to redline when i'm opening it up to race or whatever, i usually shift a tad below for the best shift points.

oh and yeah ur right about that 1/4 and highway passing stuff, my mistake there.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:26 PM

[QUOTE=nismos14]who says u have to get the extended revline? i wouldnt. u can always go w/ the technosquare ecu. also, even if u did go with JWT, who says you have to run the car to redline every time u wanna open it up a little? even now, i dont take my car to redline when i'm opening it up to race or whatever, i usually shift a tad below for the best shift points.
QUOTE]

Very true, i forgot about the non-extended redline ECU. Im just so used to thinking about the extended redline ECUs meant for the MEVI.

Mistakes on both parts

Eric
Old 12-28-2003, 07:28 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

[QUOTE=99Maxima5sp]
Originally Posted by nismos14
who says u have to get the extended revline? i wouldnt. u can always go w/ the technosquare ecu. also, even if u did go with JWT, who says you have to run the car to redline every time u wanna open it up a little? even now, i dont take my car to redline when i'm opening it up to race or whatever, i usually shift a tad below for the best shift points.
QUOTE]

Very true, i forgot about the non-extended redline ECU. Im just so used to thinking about the extended redline ECUs meant for the MEVI.

Mistakes on both parts

Eric
hehe yup. the only reason i dont like the idea of the mevi is because of the mid range loss. the ecu for me, would just make the mid range that i already love, that much better lol thats why i prefer that method of modification.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:18 PM
Sports Button FTW

well mevi is so hard to find. I think getting mevi w/ ecu would be better and just rock stock se rims or find some for super cheap. mevi is so hard to find and no one's getting them anymore except courtesy and who knows how long they'll have them. Rims will always be there, they are always coming out with newer and better one's or same ****. Mevi wont. Take whats scarce now, and grab whats easy to find later
Old 12-28-2003, 11:05 PM

To those who think an MEVI is useless with no extedend rev limiter try this. Go out and race a MEVI max with your stock manifold from a 60-110 mph roll and tell me what happens.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
To those who think an MEVI is useless with no extedend rev limiter try this. Go out and race a MEVI max with your stock manifold from a 60-110 mph roll and tell me what happens.

Im not doubting the power of the MEVI, im sure even from 0-80 the Max with the MEVI would take a stock Max. But for the power it gives you w/o a raised limiter, you could easily get an Injen CAI + Y pipe and keep up with an MEVI Maxima. . .or am I understimating the MEVI?
Old 12-29-2003, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Wisky97SE
Im not doubting the power of the MEVI, im sure even from 0-80 the Max with the MEVI would take a stock Max. But for the power it gives you w/o a raised limiter, you could easily get an Injen CAI + Y pipe and keep up with an MEVI Maxima. . .or am I understimating the MEVI?
I have a MEVI and initially I too thought the same... but after dynos and many track runs, I found that there is a slight benefit to a MEVI (pre-JWT ECU). My track time is 14.49 which, no Maxima with just intake and y-pipe can do... but I do have clutch and flywheel too which gave me about 0.1 sec. Overall it would be close though.

On the dyno, even though I did lose about 17 lb.ft of torque in the midrange (more than most of the other MEVI guys), I did gain over 30hp/30tq at redline... which if you think about it, I would feel in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears in the 1/4 mile, since I finish at the bottom of 4th.

The JWT ECU should help me stay in 3rd and save some time there... and also raise the midrange back to where it was. I can't wait!
Old 12-29-2003, 08:20 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

With the MEVI only, your ET/MPH will most likely not change at the track. I know mine didn't and most others noted the same thing. You'll be slower in the first 1/8 mile (0-75mph), but you'll be quicker in the last 1/8 mile (75mph-95mph+). I think this is what Mike was alluding to about the 60-110mph roll on race. The loss of midrange torque isn't very noticable, but the timeslips and dynos don't lie. Like I've said for a long time, I wish I would have gotten the JWT ECU first and then the MEVI. The ECU will make gains in the 1/4 mile without the MEVI. Adding the MEVI is pure gravy with the ECU because you set USIM pull from 0-75mph and after 75mph it's wicked for a NA V6.

BTW, the extended rpms of the JWT ECU actually can be put to use with the USIM because the ideal shift point on the 1-2 shift is approximately 6800rpms.

Dave
Old 12-29-2003, 08:23 AM
Banned

rimz. fo sho!
Old 12-29-2003, 08:47 AM

$500 OR $2000?? You are asking other people what to do? Give me your bank account and routing numbers and I'll let you know what to do.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:49 PM

I would like to see that race for real. As well as a run from 0-80mph or so with identical mods except for the MEVI. If you are auto, the MEVI will definately get you some increased ET/MPH at the track, as for 5sp, there are some who believe it helps and some that don't. BTW: Aftermarket wheels won't necessarily slow you down, it's just that most people prefer getting larger wheels, if you were to get SSR Comps in 16" and a set of sticky rubber that would definately increase your overall performance.

LEMAR
Old 12-29-2003, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by RastaManMax
I would like to see that race for real. As well as a run from 0-80mph or so with identical mods except for the MEVI. If you are auto, the MEVI will definately get you some increased ET/MPH at the track, as for 5sp, there are some who believe it helps and some that don't. BTW: Aftermarket wheels won't necessarily slow you down, it's just that most people prefer getting larger wheels, if you were to get SSR Comps in 16" and a set of sticky rubber that would definately increase your overall performance.

LEMAR
That race has been ran. Ask Neal about him and brians highway runs with the VI and stock manifold.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:35 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

That race has been ran. Ask Neal about him and brians highway runs with the VI and stock manifold.

I'm interested in the outcome but I can't search. Obviously you remembered, so how many car lengths? Thanks.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:41 PM

thanks for the advice guys.

im probably getting 17x8's soon. then maybe save up for a mevi/ecu
Old 12-29-2003, 05:42 PM

with rims you also have to drop it a bit. so you gotta now buy some springs, shocks and sturs, and maybe plus install. with all that money you could buy a used supercharger on the f/s section!
Old 12-30-2003, 02:11 AM

I have 17x7.5 15.5lb rims with Azenis Sports... I haven't been to the track, but my car does not seem any faster than 18x7.5 17.5lb rims with Kumho 712.

I don't have a mevi nor upgraded ecu, so I can't recommend anything.

Promise me this tho: if you get the mevi, please upgrade your brakes too.

Jae