4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

* NEW * 95-99 Maxima Stone Racing Headers and Y-Pipe Released! (Hi-Res Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 08:19 PM

* NEW * 95-99 Maxima Stone Racing Headers and Y-Pipe Released! (Hi-Res Pics)

Guys,

First of all, after a lot of hard work, I am glad to announce the release of Stone Racing Headers and Y-pipe.

Second of all, I would like to thank you all for your patient. You waited enough. However, we wanted to offer a great product, so tried to address all issues with the first prototype. As you can see from the pictures below, We released the final production version of headers AND the Y-pipe. As you can notice, the headers are now a direct bolt-on with a flexible EGR pipe connector (adapter).

We are looking for Maxima for a fitment test AND before and after DYNO. The installation and test should be done in 1 week (by 01/07/04). Interested Maxima owners can PM me.

The headers will repalce the stock headers, the y-pipe will replace the stock pipe. However, we are only selling the headers and Y-pipe as a complete set.

The price of the complete set, headers and y-pipe is tentively set at $599 and the shipping cost is estimated to be $50 to anywhere in the Continental USA.

I am working on doing a Group buy of 20 set at $600 shipped (a $50 savings).

Just to wet your appetite here are some Hi-Res pics...

presents...

A huge box

In the box, well packaged:

The rear header:

The rear header close-up:
Old 12-29-2003, 08:20 PM

The rear header's collector:

The rear header's collector top view:

The rear header's ports:

The rear header's ports close up:

The front header:
Old 12-29-2003, 08:26 PM
vsamoylov

interesting mod.

now what are the gains it will give:
how much is it:
is it worth it:
where to get them from: (mass produced?)
you dyno your car without them and withthem and give us the results

Old 12-29-2003, 08:28 PM

The front header close up:

The front header Top View:

The front header collector close up:

The front and rear header :
Old 12-29-2003, 08:36 PM

The Y-pipe in box:

The Y-pipe well protected:

The Y-pipe
Old 12-29-2003, 08:38 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I thought we already went through this???
Old 12-29-2003, 08:39 PM

The Y-pipe's front flange:

The Y-pipe's rear flange:

The Y-pipe's collector :

The Y-pipe's collector top view:

The Y-pipe's flexible section:
Old 12-29-2003, 08:41 PM
Custom User Title...

what ever happened with the dyno results from these that you were gonna post that thursday months ago? they look good, but looks don't mean anything w/o proof of power behind them.

who makes that y pipe?

you ever decide final prices?

glad to see your project is still alive and looking forward to seeing results.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:42 PM

so do we know anything about the gains and cost of this package?
Old 12-29-2003, 08:54 PM
Ramius83

Now, let me get this straight. These headers will REPLACE JUST our current headers, and not replacing the whole header/y-pipe setup correct? I remember Cattman came out with some, but you needed to use his y-pipe with it.

Old 12-29-2003, 08:54 PM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

price? hp gains?
Old 12-29-2003, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jepht20
what ever happened with the dyno results from these that you were gonna post that thursday months ago? they look good, but looks don't mean anything w/o proof of power behind them.

who makes that y pipe?

you ever decide final prices?

glad to see your project is still alive and looking forward to seeing results.
That guy never kept his promise and did not mail me the Dyno Graphs!!! I was so upset.

He got:
1) FREE headers set.
2) FREE complete Installation at our own cost!!!

And he never mailed me the hard copies!!

Now as I stated in my first post we are looking for another Maxima test car to test and dyno the complete set, headers and Y-pipe.

I edited my first post to include a tentive price for the complete set.

Nashua.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wow they look really good, the shorty headers need to be smoothed out a little bit by the flange but thats all. Lets see some prices, gains should be the same as cattman headers. So shorty and y-pipe should be around 20-25 hp.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by spanishrice
Wow they look really good, the shorty headers need to be smoothed out a little bit by the flange but thats all. Lets see some prices, gains should be the same as cattman headers. So shorty and y-pipe should be around 20-25 hp.
Yep, you have sharp eyes the installer can take care of smoothing out the flanges. It is not really a big deal. Realistically, I expect gains from 15-25 WHP. In my first post, I posted the tentive price and a target GB price.

Nashua.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:32 PM
The original VQ...

I think you should alow us to buy the y-pipes and headers seperatly. Many of us already have y-pipes and dont realy want to get new ones. How much would you sell just the headers for ?
Old 12-29-2003, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
I think you should alow us to buy the y-pipes and headers seperatly. Many of us already have y-pipes and dont realy want to get new ones. How much would you sell just the headers for ?
If there us enough interest in the headers alone, we may consider to run a GB order of 10 headers. The price has to be decided.

Nashua.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:21 PM

I'll second that. I have a Cattman Y-Pipe already and don't plan on replacing it. So if you could just sell the headers and show some gains, and if the gains are good enough, I'll buy.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:32 PM

Also, by the way, you should also dyno the headers system with the stock Y-Pipe and then with the one that comes with the complete system. That way, for the people just interested in buying the headers alone, can see how much of a gain just the headers will make. I'm sure many people are interested in finding out how much of a gain just the headers will give. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:58 PM

Yo that ypipe looks sick! Its very clean. The flanges look beautiful. He11 I think I would buy the y pipe before I would buy the headers lol.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:45 PM

GOD I'm Kinda sick of this............ Well I am In WINSTED CT, right on mass border if you really need a tester... I am a 97 5 speed, basically stock...
Old 12-30-2003, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by 97blackSE
GOD I'm Kinda sick of this............
NO kidding, I just want to see some dyno plots. Personal experiences of what people have to say and what these do for the maxima. If they are efficient enough I think that people will appreciate the quality and BUY.

I think that if a group deal where to go on for a lower price, people would buy. Those people would have enough experience to tell the rest of the maxima community how those gains would be and how those gain were beneficial.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:01 AM
The original VQ...

I must say this all looks pritty nice. But you should alow us to buy the headers and y-pipe sepratly. i think you would sell much more because so many of us have y-pipes , why buy them again. I want just the headers.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:12 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Nashua_Night_Ha
If there us enough interest in the headers alone, we may consider to run a GB order of 10 headers. The price has to be decided.

Nashua.
Well...as mentioned...we've gone through this before...anyways...

I think there would be a huge demand for the headers only. Most people on here already have an aftermarket y-pipe...and honestly, a y-pipe is a y-pipe. Your's isn't going to produce more or less power than anyone elses.

If you could get a dyno before and after with someone who ALREADY has an aftermarket y-pipe, and prove that there are gains to be made with just the headers...you would sell tons of them. I'd buy a set for sure.

If you want a test like I mentioned...with an aftermarket exhaust already (I have a cattman Y) and boost (SC) let me know. I need to dyno anyways.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:54 AM
SLOW

The proof is in the pudding, and the pudding in this case is the dyno results of the shorty headers only. For instance, dynoing a stock max and then putting on your header and ypipe combo and saying "wowie the header ypipe combo makes 21whp" may get a few noobies excited that they are gaining 21whp and you might sell a couple sets, but to the people who know whats going on with Y pipes already, this would be a major letdown. You can get anywhere between 15-20whp from a y-pipe alone, so what incentive would there be for us (meaning 99% of this website who already know the gains a ypipe gives) to buy these.

So, I'll say this again. The ONLY thing that matters here is if a BEFORE AND AFTER DYNO on the SAME CAR on the SAME DAY of a car that already has an aftermarket Y pipe. Dynoing stock vs header/ypipe combo doesn't mean a thing.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:57 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I wouldn't buy them for these reasons:

1) The flexible-looking EGR hookup will never stand a chance against the longterm extreme heat of exhaust gas recirculation (EGR). If the weld or flex fails, that means you have to remove the rear header for repair which is the part that takes up 90% of your install time in the first place.

2) No dynos. Anyways, I have very little faith in a short runner header for the VQ. The stock ugly cast manifolds already do a good job.

3) While decent looking on the outside, the internal welds at the head flange are questionable. The port to tube measurements look slightly off and to me, it looks like exhaust flow would be compromised. Restriction right at the head flange is the last place you want any type of restriction because it can throw a lot of things and may even cause some combustion chamber problems. The stock cast exhaust manifold is relatively smooth internally and these headers have all sorts of weld and flashing spread throughout the internals.

BTW, I don't want to hear "why do people always gotta be hatin' on new products? We'll never get new mods if people always be hatin'." What I've stated above are just my opinions. I have no ill will against anyone who introduces new products to our market. I'm not a automotive guru, but I probably know more about cars than the average Maxima owner. I'm just pointing out potential problem/failure areas I've experienced, read about, and have been informed about.

As for the Y-pipe, visually it looks great and I'd imagine it will make the same 9-12fwhp all the other Y-pipes make. More competition is always a good thing for the customer.

Dave
Old 12-30-2003, 09:00 AM

I think there will not be that big of gain with the shorty headers, it is for people who want to squeeze every horse they can out of there engine. I think people who trying to do all motor and go ahead and increase compression, port out heads and intake manifold, bigger throttlebody, and some mods only a handful of people on this board have done will appreciate these.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:01 AM

I personally will by both even though I am going turbo, I will keep the y-pipe and use the shorties as part of my turbo manifold.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:01 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I predict minimal gains compared to just getting an aftermarket Y-pipe.

The big gains from headers come from longer primary tubes. This keeps the exhaust pulses separate longer. This increases the scavenging effect at the exhaust port. This is what increases volumetric efficiency (power).

Shorty headers like these may be 2-5 HP ahead of the stock manifolds. I don't know if that's worth $650 compared to a $180 Y-pipe.

BUT, we shall see after some dyno runs...
Old 12-30-2003, 12:42 PM
Banned

hey nashua whats up its me jon we've met before. its my buddy who sorta ****ed you over...i can talk to him if you want and get those results on disk if i can....he is rather angry to tell you the truth. your y pipe looks sick if i already didn't have one i'd pick yours up! you better sell them both seperatly and then a discount if you get both your your going to have 0 orders....i'd say i'd let you do the install on my but the egr errors and the new egr port makes me wonder...anyways take it easy man and good luck on brining this part to the max community! pm me if you wanna chat or just post here...i read everything you post....peace!!!

--the jon
Old 12-30-2003, 01:15 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Torgus
he is rather angry to tell you the truth
Why?

Old 12-30-2003, 01:33 PM

I got a budget Y. If you want I'll install the shorty headers and get before and after dyno's.......
Old 12-30-2003, 03:42 PM
§č~® f®ČÄk

well i hope we finally get some freakin dyno's that proove what most of us believe
Old 12-30-2003, 04:10 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally Posted by Dave B
I wouldn't buy them for these reasons:

1) The flexible-looking EGR hookup will never stand a chance against the longterm extreme heat of exhaust gas recirculation (EGR). If the weld or flex fails, that means you have to remove the rear header for repair which is the part that takes up 90% of your install time in the first place.

2) No dynos. Anyways, I have very little faith in a short runner header for the VQ. The stock ugly cast manifolds already do a good job.

3) While decent looking on the outside, the internal welds at the head flange are questionable. The port to tube measurements look slightly off and to me, it looks like exhaust flow would be compromised. Restriction right at the head flange is the last place you want any type of restriction because it can throw a lot of things and may even cause some combustion chamber problems. The stock cast exhaust manifold is relatively smooth internally and these headers have all sorts of weld and flashing spread throughout the internals.

BTW, I don't want to hear "why do people always gotta be hatin' on new products? We'll never get new mods if people always be hatin'." What I've stated above are just my opinions. I have no ill will against anyone who introduces new products to our market. I'm not a automotive guru, but I probably know more about cars than the average Maxima owner. I'm just pointing out potential problem/failure areas I've experienced, read about, and have been informed about.

As for the Y-pipe, visually it looks great and I'd imagine it will make the same 9-12fwhp all the other Y-pipes make. More competition is always a good thing for the customer.

Dave
dave b I cant see how shorty headers can make much power. BEFORE AND AFTER dynos...that Y looks good..ALMOST as good as my cattman y..ALMOST

Old 12-30-2003, 05:23 PM
Father of the 00 VI

I will do it get ahold of me,but it looks as if the egr tube cant come of what if its clogged and has to be cleaned?
Old 12-30-2003, 05:38 PM

Nashua, any dynos yet? also what would price be just the header alone?
Old 12-30-2003, 06:09 PM

Dyno numbers please.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:31 PM

Am i the only one that sees shody shorty's here. I'm no welding expert but i'm pretty sure you are supposed to pump argon through the insides of the pipes while your welding to provide for a smooth inner diameter of the piping. Those beads should be almost as smooth as glass inside and out. Did the person that welded this stuff learn on this project? There is more that i see that makes me wonder about this, but i'll just wait for the dyno's.

BTW...if ones does a bit of research on header designs they will realize that little to no gain is found over a well thought out stock mani.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:11 AM
^ Jeff™

Originally Posted by tampamax
Am i the only one that sees shody shorty's here. I'm no welding expert but i'm pretty sure you are supposed to pump argon through the insides of the pipes to provide for a smooth inner diameter of the piping. Those beads should be almost as smooth as glass inside and out. Did the person that welded this stuff learn on this project? There is more that i see that makes me wonder about this, but i'll just wait for the dyno's.

BTW...if ones does a bit of research on header designs they will realize that little to no gain is found over a well thought out stock mani.
Read previous posts much?
Read Dave B's very informative post.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:18 PM

Yes i do, but this time nope. DOH, i see it now.
Old 12-31-2003, 04:31 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

i have to agree with DaveB.

Quick Reply: * NEW * 95-99 Maxima Stone Racing Headers and Y-Pipe Released! (Hi-Res Pics)