4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Lightened Flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 12:09 AM

Lightened Flywheel?

I am thinking about getting a lightened flywheel for my car. I don't really know which brand to get though, and I don't even know if this is such a good mod to get. I have heard some bad things about the lightened flywheel. I have heard that it takes away low end power and torque and for me thats a must since I like to race 1/4 miles. I also heard it hurts you on daily driving, someone told me that it is uncomfortable for daily driving. If anyone knows anything about the lightened flywheel please let me know, my main concern is that it is going to take away low end Hp and torque and hurt me from a stop. Because like I said I like to race 1/4 miles. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

less mass to move = faster times. maybe someone can explain why you'd lose tq down under.
Jae
Old 12-30-2003, 01:54 AM

because the weight of the spining flywheel stores potential hp. more weight= more rotational energy it can store. Lets say you have a stock heavy flywheel and a light weight one and both are spinning at 2000 rpm and you drop the clutch, the heavy one will have more rotational power to transfer the energy to the wheels due to the moving weight while the lightweight one wont have as much energy to transfer

I think once the car is moving then the lightweight one will be better since it takes less power to spin it but from a stop, it doesnt have as much weight off the line
Old 12-30-2003, 02:01 AM

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/?MaximaFlywheels
Old 12-30-2003, 08:04 AM
Boosted Panda

Before purchasing my flywheel I did a lot of research. Most said it was a really great mod. Some said that with too light of a flywheel it would cause launch problems. Fidenza flywheels seem to be the prefered for the fact that they are lighter then stock but not too light to cause problems.
Speaking from my experience, I have a Stillen flywheel which is lighter then the Fidenza and I've had no problems with daily driving nor launching. Rpms do climb quicker, but they drop quicker also.
In all, I love having a lightened flywheel, the car accelerates a lot quicker now and with the Exedy Stage 1 it grabs really nice to.
The reason I chose Stillen was that I got it for a really great price, cheaper then a Fidenza. jeff92se sells fidenza flywheels for a great price, check the GD section. If i hadnt have gotten such a good deal on the Stillen unit, I would have gone through him.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was under the impression that Stillen = Fidanza? Just rebadged? But if you're saying Stillen was cheaper, I guess not. Thats cool tho!
Jae
Old 12-31-2003, 01:36 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
I was under the impression that Stillen = Fidanza? Just rebadged? But if you're saying Stillen was cheaper, I guess not. Thats cool tho!
Jae

No, Stillen is more expensive and lighter. I just got a really good dealso it came out cheaper then a fidenza. From what Ive researched Stillen and UR are manufactured from the same CO. and then rebadged.