4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Mystery rubber tube - not connected anywhere!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 02:37 AM

Mystery rubber tube - not connected anywhere!

I was working on my car today and noticed something weird! Right below a thick rubber tube that connects the front valve cover to the left side of the intake resonator is another tube, slightly thinner. One end is not connected anywhere. Initially I thought its suppose to go somewhere else on the intake resonator but I didn't see any place where it might go to since all of the connections are already taken by other existing tubes. I then traced where this tube was coming from and it went all the way down to the transmission housing (I have a 5 speed).

I was browsing thru Brian J. Won's Cold Air Intake Installation write up and noticed the same thing on his pictures. I added red arrows to point to the tube in question. Look at the following links:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...487_9_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...87_10_full.jpg

So my question is, where is this tube suppose to go to? Is this suppose to just hang disconnected like so? Can anyone else verifiy this on their maximas? BTW, I checked everywhere in my Chilton's manual and didn't find a thing about this rubber tube.

Thanks

-Dennis
Old 01-01-2004, 02:39 AM

There was something in the FAQ mentioned about a hose thats not connected. If it's the same one as you mention then it's meant to be there, it's a breather. Have a look in the FAQ and see if it fits the description
Old 01-01-2004, 02:42 AM

I did look in the FAQ. However, I'm not certain what category this might be under. Its definitely not intake related since the tube comes from the transmission housing. Do you have a clue? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Matt_NZ
There was something in the FAQ mentioned about a hose thats not connected. If it's the same one as you mention then it's meant to be there, it's a breather. Have a look in the FAQ and see if it fits the description
Old 01-01-2004, 03:01 AM

OK, just found it!!! Thanks Matt_NZ for pointing me to the right direction. Now, I have one less thing to worry about. On with troubleshooting my EGR issues.

Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2004, 08:30 AM

I have a cute little breather filter on mine