4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

maxima is unreliable + horrible in snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004 | 03:50 PM

according to the prophecy- STOP YOUR BICTHIN!! it is not that hard to drive in the snow, its called slow down and increase your distance. i have four bald tiers and made it across snoqualmie pass with no chains 5miles up and 4 miles down. learn how to drive before you blame your car.-according to the prophecy.
Old 01-28-2004 | 04:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://www.nvg.ntnu.no/sinclair/vehicles/c5.htm

Those things look dangerous.
Old 01-28-2004 | 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by sleepermaxima
OMG!!!! Bahahahahahaha...
Old 01-28-2004 | 05:27 PM

Ahhh yeah, came home from college today.... parents are lookin to replace the maxima with either a toyota corolla or a honda civic. they did one thing right, they didnt put sentra on that list ;-)

o well my street is clear now so i can drive the c5 once again.
Old 01-28-2004 | 05:28 PM
no more maxima...

My car has been excellent in 1ft of snow here during the 2 day snow storm we received in Toronto ON Canada. I am running with Pirelli 210 snowsports though.
Old 01-28-2004 | 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by ABK
you are supposed to use the ebrake when you park that what keeps the calipers from seizing up

BTW leaving the car in the middle of the road is really smart, I guess your parents are bloody rich...

Seriously you dont just leave a car like that! You have no respect for a car and obviously deserved the locked up e brake......and all you have to do to drive in the snow is be cautious and dont think you can the same things on a dry road
Old 01-28-2004 | 05:56 PM

oh that's some funny shiit
Old 01-28-2004 | 06:15 PM

yea cars can suck during the winter, like my maxima, but the only reason that is, is because of the tires i got just suck, but i don't driving in the winter period so my max is in the garage for now, will plan to bring it out this spring.
Old 01-28-2004 | 07:53 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by ericdwong
Ahhh yeah, came home from college today.... parents are lookin to replace the maxima with either a toyota corolla or a honda civic. they did one thing right, they didnt put sentra on that list ;-)

o well my street is clear now so i can drive the c5 once again.

o boy someone better warn the honda and toyota boards that eric's gonna start his b!tchin soon

lets face it ALL cars have problems, its a wonder to me that u kept the car after the trans issues.

another odd note, u had the max which for YOU was unreliable, which sux. THEN you knowingly buy a car that is going to be much less reliable than the maxima. thats really smart dontcha think anyways good luck with the next car.
Old 01-28-2004 | 08:03 PM
ABK

LMFAO no wonder that kid can't drive, what do you expect when you drive that pc of **** around the road, and get hit with the rocks straight to the dome all the time. I hope you have two way insurance and a good medical, once you get hit I think you will need to invest into something with 4 wheels, like a wheel chair!!!

I can't stop flamming, sorry guys.
Old 01-28-2004 | 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by ABK
LMFAO no wonder that kid can't drive, what do you expect when you drive that pc of **** around the road, and get hit with the rocks straight to the dome all the time. I hope you have two way insurance and a good medical, once you get hit I think you will need to invest into something with 4 wheels, like a wheel chair!!!

I can't stop flamming, sorry guys.
Flame away. To come back here and post some **** like that he deserves it. He didn't even attempt to make a reasonable, objective description of the problems he was having with the car. He came back to bash, so there's nothing wrong with returning the favor...
Old 01-28-2004 | 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by nismos14
o boy someone better warn the honda and toyota boards that eric's gonna start his b!tchin soon

lets face it ALL cars have problems, its a wonder to me that u kept the car after the trans issues.

another odd note, u had the max which for YOU was unreliable, which sux. THEN you knowingly buy a car that is going to be much less reliable than the maxima. thats really smart dontcha think anyways good luck with the next car.

Ive had toyota before, infact i like toyota, but im not tryin to turn this into a honda vs nissan vs toyota vs chevrolet war (or am i?) Yea, I purposely bought a car thats supposed to be less reliable cause my luck tends to go in reverse.
and, FYI so far the corvette HAS been much more reliable then the maxima has. Ive owned it for more then a year, daily driven, drag raced, spirited fun on the roads and in parking lots for over 15,000 miles. While it has its trivial problems, its never left me stranded or had to be towed....(unlike the you know what). Another thing about american car parts is they tend to be cheaper then the japanese counter parts (while not always true). but one thing thats really nice, is the GM parts network. for example, I needed an oil pressure sender unit, I went to the Chevy dealer and they didnt have any. However the guy was able to look on his computer to tell me that the Cadillac dealer and the next closest chevy dealer had the part in stock. With Toyota and Nissan, I would have had to call each and every dealer to see if they had it or not. What a pain in the ****.

Yea I know I took a gamble on the c5 but so far so good. I lost that gamble on the maxima, big time. Ths c5 still has its original clutch, unlike the maxima's which went out at 55k.

As for honda, well the only honda products we have are my sport bike, and a tiller. So this would be a first honda car, we'll see what happens.
Old 01-28-2004 | 08:40 PM
I'm so hood

another odd note, u had the max which for YOU was unreliable, which sux. THEN you knowingly buy a car that is going to be much less reliable than the maxima. thats really smart dontcha think
Well...this way, he has obvious reasonable justification for when things go wrong that don't come back to self-incriminating incidents like busting burnouts on pillows.

I still felt bad for eric when he was having his troubles, but this post was in poor taste.
Old 01-28-2004 | 08:45 PM

Most of the older members here know what i've gone thru. Yea I did some crazy stuff with my car but I'd have to say this car gave me MORE then the average trouble it SHOULD HAVE given me.

I know I was warned of buying a chevrolet, but so far so good.

For the newer members, flame on as you wish, I dont give 3 craps about ruffling peoples feathers...makes this board all so much entertaining....
Old 01-28-2004 | 08:57 PM
I'm needing a caw

Ah what about the time your precious C5 handled the snow so well that you slid the back end into a curb and fubar'd the whole thing up. You mean you didn't have it towed and it didn't strand you that time???

Ive had toyota before, infact i like toyota, but im not tryin to turn this into a honda vs nissan vs toyota vs chevrolet war (or am i?) Yea, I purposely bought a car thats supposed to be less reliable cause my luck tends to go in reverse.
and, FYI so far the corvette HAS been much more reliable then the maxima has. Ive owned it for more then a year, daily driven, drag raced, spirited fun on the roads and in parking lots for over 15,000 miles. While it has its trivial problems, its never left me stranded or had to be towed....(unlike the you know what). Another thing about american car parts is they tend to be cheaper then the japanese counter parts (while not always true). but one thing thats really nice, is the GM parts network. for example, I needed an oil pressure sender unit, I went to the Chevy dealer and they didnt have any. However the guy was able to look on his computer to tell me that the Cadillac dealer and the next closest chevy dealer had the part in stock. With Toyota and Nissan, I would have had to call each and every dealer to see if they had it or not. What a pain in the ****.

Yea I know I took a gamble on the c5 but so far so good. I lost that gamble on the maxima, big time. Ths c5 still has its original clutch, unlike the maxima's which went out at 55k.

As for honda, well the only honda products we have are my sport bike, and a tiller. So this would be a first honda car, we'll see what happens.
Old 01-28-2004 | 09:01 PM
ABK

ruffling peoples feathers, son did that rock hit you that bad, I mean you sound like you are on crack.

55K cluch replacment what the hell did you do? Ride the clutch all the way thru 1 and 2 gear?
Old 01-28-2004 | 09:52 PM

You should see what a Maxima can do with studded tires!

So, you tossed a hissy when you had a little car trouble in bad conditions, then blamed the car and not the driver? Hate to see what happens when you have a real problem.
Old 01-28-2004 | 10:02 PM
SXN

Ive had toyota before, infact i like toyota.
yea, i like toyota too, but you are being too maxima specific.

my family owns a 98 camry xle and a 98 maxima gxe, and i have used both to visit family in reno and tahoe. the only one that game me problems with the camry... defrosters sucked, tranny hated being cold, and the brakes got sticky when the weather got colder. maxima gave me no problems to speak of
Old 01-28-2004 | 10:12 PM
DoGGy

My c5 doesnt do that well in the snow so as I was attempting to head into work this morning, I used the trusty maxima I got down the driveway into the street (whcih had been plowed but still had snow on it). As I was driving I got down a hill and noticed that the rear of the car was very squirrly. Then as I tried to get up a hill the car came to a hault, tires spinning. This was embaressing, there was people starting to line up behind me and I couldnt get anywhere. I let everybody pass and tried to get back up the hill (im now stuck at the bottom between 2 hills). I looked down, noticed there ws some slack in the ebrake handle. Yup, it was frozen. The rear wheels were locked. My dad just spent $500+ to get the rear brakes replaced just last month because of this problem. Odd, how Ive never had a problem with the ebrake freezing with any other car. Meanwhile I look at my dash and every idiot light is on. The ABS + check engine. Frustrated, I left the car in the middle of the road with the keys in it still running and door open and walked back to the house. Told the parents where the car was and to go 'drive it off a cliff' and stole my moms 98 camry. That car had no problems at all getting up the hill. Hopefully either a snowplow hits the maxima and totals that POS or somebody gets in and steals it.

dude just what the **** are u foockin talkin about?

are u gonna blame the max if u get stuck in mud or something? or ur just outta ur mind?
Old 01-28-2004 | 10:12 PM
DoGGy

My c5 doesnt do that well in the snow so as I was attempting to head into work this morning, I used the trusty maxima I got down the driveway into the street (whcih had been plowed but still had snow on it). As I was driving I got down a hill and noticed that the rear of the car was very squirrly. Then as I tried to get up a hill the car came to a hault, tires spinning. This was embaressing, there was people starting to line up behind me and I couldnt get anywhere. I let everybody pass and tried to get back up the hill (im now stuck at the bottom between 2 hills). I looked down, noticed there ws some slack in the ebrake handle. Yup, it was frozen. The rear wheels were locked. My dad just spent $500+ to get the rear brakes replaced just last month because of this problem. Odd, how Ive never had a problem with the ebrake freezing with any other car. Meanwhile I look at my dash and every idiot light is on. The ABS + check engine. Frustrated, I left the car in the middle of the road with the keys in it still running and door open and walked back to the house. Told the parents where the car was and to go 'drive it off a cliff' and stole my moms 98 camry. That car had no problems at all getting up the hill. Hopefully either a snowplow hits the maxima and totals that POS or somebody gets in and steals it.

dude just what the **** are u foockin talkin about?

are u gonna blame the max if u get stuck in mud or something? or ur just outta ur mind?
Old 01-28-2004 | 11:07 PM

So are you complaining about Maximas in general or just yours? Because first of all your on the wrong forum if its in general. Second it sounds like from the above posts you don't know how to treat your car all that well. Third, I don't know if you bought it new or not but maybe, just maybe, the owner of it before you didn't take care of it either. I think that you need to re-think your complaining.
Old 01-29-2004 | 06:36 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

I'm sorry...are we arguing about cars with someone who drives his C5 during the winter? That car should not leave the garage with salt on the roads, period. Every C5 I see on the road during the winter is a beat up POS...that is a car you keep looking good by driving it in the dry and the summer, not treat as your winter beater. But then again, people who own C5's and still live with their parents probably aren't the people who have the utmost respect for their cars. Whether they bought it for you or not, move the **** out before you buy a C5 money. I live in the other apartment of my parents 2 fam...I do it because I'm broke. Trust that I'm not going to buy a sports car while I'm still living there because that would pretty much make me an a$$hole.

Whatever.

The Maxima is known for it's reliability and I would say MOST of the members here can attest to the fact that that reputation is well deserved. I have no idea what you've done to your Max or how you've treated it or how a former owner treated it if you bought it used. Bottom line is that I bought my car new, I treated it well, and it has never let me down.

This thread is retarded. Dissing Maximas on a Maxima board...what an original troll...no potential for a huge ridiculous bull$hit thread there.