4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

So I just cleaned my leather seats..got a few questions..

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2001, 03:42 PM

I cleaned my leather seats with the solution that came with the Max.

This is what I did after following the instructions on the label (which I found) and checking this site.

1. Wipe the seats with a damp cloth
2. Then put some solution on another clean cloth and apply generously to the seats.

3. Wait for 30 or so minutes
4. After ~30mins take a dry cloth and clean the seats with it.

Right now I'm at step 3. I'd like to know if its ok if I put to much solution on the seats. Also I'm cleaning these seats for the first time after 3 years. They were dry and "cracky"..I'm hoping this solution will fix that.

Also these are black leather seats which were wrinkly from the beginning. I hope I didn't spoil the seats with what I did and if its ok to clean it after 3 years.

Old 03-07-2001, 04:36 PM

conditioning

Wait, wait--did you by this car new? You had it for 99,2000, 2001--and you have never cleaned the leather seats? *sigh*

okay, leather is very easy to damage, especially when it doesn't have a balance of its natural oil. from what you have written, i am assuming that the "wrinkles" are the folds in the leather seat that came with the car (right?) or are these new folds that became of the leather from wear and tear?

Yes, you should definetely try to moisturize the leather with a good leather conditioner (Meguiars Leather is what I use in my car)...What I do is use a damp warm towel and go over the seats a few time...of course, the water that I use has a minute amount of balanced soap to get any crud off. The I put the meguiars leather conditioner on twice--and wait...

But definetely try to take care of the leather, else with time it will crack very easily!!

Originally posted by mAdD MAX

This is what I did after following the instructions on the label (which I found) and checking this site.

2. Then put some solution on another clean cloth and apply generously to the seats.

Right now I'm at step 3. I'd like to know if its ok if I put to much solution on the seats. Also I'm cleaning these seats for the first time after 3 years. They were dry and "cracky"..I'm hoping this solution will fix that.

Also these are black leather seats which were wrinkly from the beginning. I hope I didn't spoil the seats with what I did and if its ok to clean it after 3 years.

Old 03-07-2001, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the reply Humaras.

Yeah I know it was my fault that I didn't take care of the leather earlier. It's been almost 3 years..since we bought the car brand new and we didn't take care of the leather.

The leather was wrinkly to begin with, but there are a few cracks formed on the drivers seat. I'm hoping the conditioner will fix that.

The drivers seat has seen it's share of water..since we live in Toronto, there is a lot of snow and sometimes when you get in the car, lots of snow falls in.

From now on, I will take care of the seats better. I think put on some more conditioner next week also.
Old 03-07-2001, 06:53 PM

I used Lexol

1. I clean the leather with damp cloth (same as your step 1)
2. wait until it dry, wet Lexol leather conditioner with a clean cloth, and wet (I mean wet) the leather.
3. Then let it sit overnight.
4. Next morning it should dry up mostly, then spray some more on the cloth and wipe it clean and the excess remain (since I put a lot previour night).
5. If you are really worry, repeat away the next weekend.

Old 03-08-2001, 08:22 AM

leather cleaning

no no prob. I hope i didn't come out too harsh. But After three years of damage it is harder to maintain something on peak condition. Because you live in a very cold climate, the leather definetely needs its natural oil to stay balanced.
The cold and heat really kills leather...

If there are cracks...just oil the leather so that it doesn't get any worse...

but try to clean and oil it once every 4-6 weeks...

Lexol is another excellent product...
Old 03-08-2001, 12:01 PM

ok..I didn't take it to harsh..don't worry..thanks for all the advice though.

Today I checked the leather seats. They feel oily and look shiny. That's about it. The other wrinkles are still there..

Are the seats supposed to feel oily after 24h of cleaning them?

I'll clean them this weekend again, and after that..every month. I'll buy a bottle of Lexol when I run out of the bottle I'm using right now. It's a milky white liquid right?

Also is it bad for the seats if I condition them too often?

Thanks again...I really appreciate it. Its our first luxury car and I don't wanna screw anything up.
Old 03-08-2001, 12:41 PM
supertool

If a seat is not used?

Do I still need to lube it up every month? What if I have covers?
Thanks.

Old 03-08-2001, 05:48 PM

That's another reason I really like Lexol -- it won't feel oily or sticky after it dry. You can tell the leather is more shiny, that's all. It seems the leather obsorbe the product pretty well.

I believe you don't have to treat it that often, besides the first time you do it (since you didn't do anything for 3 years). But I will said it is a good idea to do it more often during summer (heat) and winter (cold).

ok..I didn't take it to harsh..don't worry..thanks for all the advice though.

Today I checked the leather seats. They feel oily and look shiny. That's about it. The other wrinkles are still there..

Are the seats supposed to feel oily after 24h of cleaning them?

I'll clean them this weekend again, and after that..every month. I'll buy a bottle of Lexol when I run out of the bottle I'm using right now. It's a milky white liquid right?

Also is it bad for the seats if I condition them too often?

Thanks again...I really appreciate it. Its our first luxury car and I don't wanna screw anything up.
Old 03-08-2001, 06:58 PM
supertool

Ok, got some lexol.

Got my car back from body shop, picked up some lexol cleaner and lexol conditioner at pepboys. Expensive stuff. Gonna do it this weekend.

Old 03-08-2001, 07:21 PM

oh ok. Thanks guys!!

since we are talking about leather seats..have you guys ever sat in the seats of a Saab? They have one of the best leather seats I have ever sat in! I could sleep in there!! Soo comfortable and the leather is just amazing. So soft and supple...is it possible to buy Saab seats and fit them in our car?
Old 03-08-2001, 08:12 PM

Lexol

I just conditioned my leather today also...I do it every 3 months or so, result = 75,000 miles and almost NO cracks or wrinkles at all!! I use Lexol, it is a VERY good product and works well on the dash as well!