4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

mevi

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 06:34 PM

mevi

how much would a mevi set me back
Old 02-01-2004, 06:39 PM
I need a truck

You really need to read the FAQ's before posting ...

About $450 (used) - $650 brand new
Old 02-01-2004, 06:41 PM

**** my bad i don't even think bout that **** my bad
Old 02-01-2004, 07:41 PM

dont forget all the other parts needed to get it running
Old 02-01-2004, 08:03 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Realistically over 1G since getting it without a JWT ECU is a COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY. If you can't afford both get the JWT ECU and a MEVI down the road.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:05 PM

RE: mevi

How skilled of a mechanic and how good of a tool set do you need to install it yourself? I read the install instructions and ive never done anything like it, so Im a bit intimidated.. Thanks...
Old 02-01-2004, 09:57 PM

not completely waste of money without JWT but I suggest getting JWT first. I dont have a JWT because Im on nitrous.

you have to be familiar with some electrics and at least know the concept of how the MEVI works just so its easier to get the idea of what your doing when your installing it. Just basic sockets, wrenches and various common tools is all you need.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nismo
not completely waste of money without JWT but I suggest getting JWT first. I dont have a JWT because Im on nitrous.

you have to be familiar with some electrics and at least know the concept of how the MEVI works just so its easier to get the idea of what your doing when your installing it. Just basic sockets, wrenches and various common tools is all you need.
But there seems to be a fuse, switch, vaccum cannister, all this other stuff. Is it simple enough to figure out if you arent an idiot but never did it before? Does EVERYTHING you need come with the set that you order when you order the "complete" set? Sorry to ask stupid questions..

Im getting my JWT ECU tomorrow so naturally im thinking about the MEVI with my next couple paycheck savings...
Old 02-01-2004, 11:45 PM

where are you ording this "complete set" from?
Old 02-01-2004, 11:48 PM
Sports Button FTW

cheapest setup u can get is mevi with cover from courtesy for 380-400 and install kit will run u 100-150. Prices have dropped on the mevi's although they are very rare and hard to find so 500-600 sounds very reasonable, especially if u dont have to run around for parts.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:08 AM

Yea I remember a link to order it online from courtesy. They also included an install set so I was hoping that it would make it almost point and click...
Old 02-02-2004, 10:25 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by drew76924
how much would a mevi set me back
about 10-15lbs of midrange torque.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Big D
Realistically over 1G since getting it without a JWT ECU is a COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY. If you can't afford both get the JWT ECU and a MEVI down the road.
If he gets the VI and a Y pipe he would still be in good shape with more power up top. The Y would bring it back to or above normal HP in the low range. Adding the ECU later will make even more HP from low to midrange.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:47 PM

I think that you are just misinformed about what an Ecu does. Read a little more...
Old 02-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
about 10-15lbs of midrange torque.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:25 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by takentomax
I think that you are just misinformed about what an Ecu does. Read a little more...
I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about so maybe you should do the reading. Without the ECU the MEVI loses power pretty much throughout the RPM range until the mevi kicks in. Is that not true? The ECU re-gains the power lost due to the MEVI and raises the usable RPMs to 7000rpm+. Am I right? Yes.

Originally Posted by deezo
If he gets the VI and a Y pipe he would still be in good shape with more power up top. The Y would bring it back to or above normal HP in the low range. Adding the ECU later will make even more HP from low to midrange.
A y-pipe makes gains above 3500RPM so it wouldn't really help with the losses below that. Don't people who have a y-pipe before the MEVI install ALSO lose power in the same place as the people without a y? It might not be as much but they still lose power down low
Old 02-02-2004, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Nismo
where are you ording this "complete set" from?
Oops - I guess Im not. Courtesy Nissan doesnt have the additional stuff you need so thats a bit of a bummer... My bad.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:32 PM

the ecu and mevi will set you back around $1000.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:35 PM

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about so maybe you should do the reading. Without the ECU the MEVI loses power pretty much throughout the RPM range until the mevi kicks in. Is that not true? The ECU re-gains the power lost due to the MEVI and raises the usable RPMs to 7000rpm+. Am I right? Yes.
Crap i misread your first reply. You said that the VI was a total waste of money w/o the ECU. Kinda of true...
I wouldn't go to the extent of saying that this mod was a total waste of money but it would be helpful if you had a modified Ecu.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:53 PM

Crap i misread your first reply. You said that the VI was a total waste of money w/o the ECU. Kinda of true...
I wouldn't go to the extent of saying that this mod was a total waste of money but it would be helpful if you had a modified Ecu.
From what Ive been reading, it seems that the general consensus is to get the ECU first then go for the MEVI. Actually, Y-pipe, ECU, Mevi would be a good upgrade path.. I hope that everyone would agree to that because otherwise I have not been retaining stuff very well..
Old 02-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Hooooooonda.....

No problem man, it happens. Have a nice day.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Spaniard
From what Ive been reading, it seems that the general consensus is to get the ECU first then go for the MEVI. Actually, Y-pipe, ECU, Mevi would be a good upgrade path.. I hope that everyone would agree to that because otherwise I have not been retaining stuff very well..
I agree...the hump that you would have to get over is the price of the Ecu is the hardest.

If you guys haven't been searching, the VI at courtesy has fallen once again. woo wooohhh!!!
Old 02-02-2004, 07:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ok, so you say that it's kinda pointless to get the MEVI without the JWT ECU. Last I heard, and it's been a while, JWT only made the ECU for certain year Maximas; i.e. 95-96 and the 96 ECU could work with some 97's and they had made head-way with a 99... So, what if you're in my posistion...98? Are the 98 guys just SOL?

Also, I've read (And I have A LOT more reading to do) that the MEVI best works with Boost? From what I've gathered, to get the best out of your MEVI is to have the JWT ECU and to be boosted? Please correct me if I am wrong in any shape or form. There's just a lot of contridicting posts/threads out there and I know that the moderators do there best to clearify everything as best they can; it just seems that if I get a MEVI I will never reach it's full potential.

Thanks guys.

S9
Old 02-02-2004, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Scott_98Max

Also, I've read (And I have A LOT more reading to do) that the MEVI best works with Boost? From what I've gathered, to get the best out of your MEVI is to have the JWT ECU and to be boosted? Please correct me if I am wrong in any shape or form. There's just a lot of contridicting posts/threads out there and I know that the moderators do there best to clearify everything as best they can; it just seems that if I get a MEVI I will never reach it's full potential.

Thanks guys.

S9
Yea, Im curious about this-

I know that the JWT ECU for sure cannot be used with the Stillen Supercharger

But I believe I read from the Jim Wolf webpage that you can have a JWT ECU programmed to handle some stuff- like nitrous and ...possibly turbos..???? I am not sure about this though.

Then again- I have heard of some people who say they can't get JWT ECU because they run nitrous. So Im not sure...

In fact Im not sure about anything except that JWT ECU cannot be used with Stillen Supercharger.

So who knows the deal with this?
I am about to get a JWT ECU and will someday consider a MEVI - and I would love to know if I can also down the road experience the kick of nitro!!!!

A 1/4 mile with all the mods + JWT ECU + MEVI + NITRO would be a serious kill. Mebbe in the high 12s????? yikes!
Old 02-03-2004, 02:42 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by Scott_98Max
Ok, so you say that it's kinda pointless to get the MEVI without the JWT ECU. Last I heard, and it's been a while, JWT only made the ECU for certain year Maximas; i.e. 95-96 and the 96 ECU could work with some 97's and they had made head-way with a 99... So, what if you're in my posistion...98? Are the 98 guys just SOL?

Thanks guys.

S9
An MEVI is not pointless with out the JWT ECU's extended rev limiter. I had the VI before I got my ECU and liked it better than the stock manifold. No your 1/4 mile time won't really drop with just the VI but your highway pulling power is much better than a stock manifold max

Of course the VI is better with boost.....any mod that lets the engine breath better is going to be great with boost. Just like a Y-pipe will give better gains with boost. See what I am saying. The VI does not need boost to be effective.

JWT make a few different ECU's. The one that 99% of the people are talking about is the NA application that is used with the VI. They make applictions for boosted maximas as well....but an NA ECU can't be safely use on a boosted max because of the advanced timing.

MEVI= same 1/4 mile time but greatly improved highway pulling power. Some mid range torque is lost with the VI.

MEVI + JWT ECU= lower 1/4 mile and even greater highway pulling power than above. The main benefits from adding the ECU are the gain of mid range torque that was lost with the MEVI and the extended rev limiter that lets you stay deeper in the power band from shift to shift.

MEVI + boost = insane amounts of power added after 5K than a boosted max with the stock manifold

JWT only modifies the 95-96 maxima ECU's but that does not mean a 97 or 98 owner can not buy a used 96-96 ECU and have it upgraded then use it in their car. A CEL or two will most likely be tripped but they won't be problem causing CEL's.

Hope that cleared thing up.