4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

help! brake won't engage after cleaning entire braking system! *brake light on*

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 05:13 PM
V^___^V

help! brake won't engage after cleaning entire braking system! *brake light on*

i spent some time and cleaned my entire braking system. after i'm done i tried to test drive it, but my brake light is on. my e-brake is all the way down, and i figured it must be the brake fluid. although the brake fluid was a bit low, but i filled it up to max with DOT 3 brake fluid. but my brake still won't engage. any idea?
Old 02-03-2004, 05:44 PM
V^___^V

i really need help...brake is really lose..
Old 02-03-2004, 06:11 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

How did you "clean" your braking system exactly? Did you clean up the engine bay around the brake booster or something? And what is the problem exactly does the brake pedal goto the floor or something?
Old 02-03-2004, 06:27 PM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
How did you "clean" your braking system exactly? Did you clean up the engine bay around the brake booster or something? And what is the problem exactly does the brake pedal goto the floor or something?
the brake still works, it just don't feel as sensitive as before. it feels really slacky.

since i figure it has been almost 10,000k since the last clean up, so i clean the brake system accordong to mortorvate.ca with brake cleaner from local autoshop.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:33 PM
V^___^V

ugh...okie now the brake light is gone, yet the brake still feels kinda slacky.

anybody know how to adjust the sensitivity of brake pedal? i am very not used to the new setting.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by happyricefob
ugh...okie now the brake light is gone, yet the brake still feels kinda slacky.

anybody know how to adjust the sensitivity of brake pedal? i am very not used to the new setting.
Explain better what you did. Nobody knows what you're talking about. The brake pedal sensitivity? You mean it feels squishy? That's not something you adjust, there's probably air in the lines if it feels like that. Did you try to bleed your brakes? How low was the brake fluid? If you let it all drain out of the master cylinder resevoir during bleeding and into the brake lines, you will have air in them. Do you have ABS? What do you mean clean up? You didn't have to do anything to your brakes. The only required regular maintenance would be replacing the pads and fluid every once in a while, cleaning isn't something that they need. Taking brake dust off the calipers and lines doesn't have any effect on braking performance or feel. Pads automatically scrub the rotor as the car moves, and the only other moving parts is going the be the caliper sliding on the guide bolts, which are protected by a rubber boot, and the master/slave piston in the master cylinder, which is protected from dust and contaminants by the master cylinder itself. Why did you do it?