4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

which one to buy, thx?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2001, 12:05 PM
atuzai

New to this board, need your guys help.
I want to buy a used Max.
found a 99 SE, AT, 22k mi, sunroof, leather seat, bose sound, for $15400. another one is 2000 SE, AT, 12mi, sunroof, Bose sound, no leather seat,for $17800.

Which one is better deal? what is the major different btw 99 and 2k model.

Thanks for help

Old 03-10-2001, 12:35 PM

Both sound like good prices. Nice low-mileage cars. I'm partial to the '99 myself. That sounds like an awful lot of car for the money. The 2000 is bigger and heavier, but with more horsepower to balance it out. Are you sure you don't want a 5-speed? I have driven my '95 (comparable to the '99 you're looking at) automatic for 6 years now out of necessity. I've loved every minute, but have never stopped wishing for that 5-speed. It just seems so much better suited to the car's overall character, especially the SE model. So I'm finally getting my 5-speed next week hopefully. Bottom Line? You won't go wrong with either, but I'd at least drive a 5-speed and compare.
Old 03-10-2001, 12:58 PM
atuzai

Thanks!

Originally posted by dental stud
Both sound like good prices. Nice low-mileage cars. I'm partial to the '99 myself. That sounds like an awful lot of car for the money. The 2000 is bigger and heavier, but with more horsepower to balance it out. Are you sure you don't want a 5-speed? I have driven my '95 (comparable to the '99 you're looking at) automatic for 6 years now out of necessity. I've loved every minute, but have never stopped wishing for that 5-speed. It just seems so much better suited to the car's overall character, especially the SE model. So I'm finally getting my 5-speed next week hopefully. Bottom Line? You won't go wrong with either, but I'd at least drive a 5-speed and compare.
Honestly, I do not know how to drive stick car (:, though it sounds stupid in this board. I came to this country two years ago from Asia. I did not know how to drive before that. Auto will be more easier for me.

BTW, do I need find a nissan dealer or pepboy to check the car before buying the car?

Old 03-10-2001, 01:50 PM

It's always a good idea, but not really necessary with these cars. Why? They're both covered under their factory warranty! Until 3 years or 36,000 miles, you're covered bumper-to-bumper. And 5 years or 60,000 covers your powertrain (engine and transmission). Maybe a good idea to look for POTENTIAL problems, but if it's that far away that it wouldn't be covered under warranty, it probably wouldn't be able to be noticed yet. Especially with the 2000. These are darn reliable cars, buddy. My '95 has 133,800 miles and never a problem but a new starter and CV boot. Have fun with it...you've chosen a great vehicle.

Alex
Old 03-10-2001, 06:35 PM
atuzai

Thanks, it is really helps.

Originally posted by dental stud
It's always a good idea, but not really necessary with these cars. Why? They're both covered under their factory warranty! Until 3 years or 36,000 miles, you're covered bumper-to-bumper. And 5 years or 60,000 covers your powertrain (engine and transmission). Maybe a good idea to look for POTENTIAL problems, but if it's that far away that it wouldn't be covered under warranty, it probably wouldn't be able to be noticed yet. Especially with the 2000. These are darn reliable cars, buddy. My '95 has 133,800 miles and never a problem but a new starter and CV boot. Have fun with it...you've chosen a great vehicle.

Alex
I will go to see the 99 SE tomorrow. Though the car under factory warranty, I am still a little worried, thinking the car maybe involved in some accident or something like that which are not covered by warranty. Feel the deal maybe too good to be ture. Any suggestion for what I should pay attention to?

Thx!

Old 03-10-2001, 08:38 PM

Ask the dealer for a copy of the Carfax, based on the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). They should give it to you for free. It's a website that keeps a database of all reported accidents, flood damage, recalls, and the like. You can get it yourself if you know the VIN, which you may need to do if it's a private owner. This will cost you $20, however. Still it's a small price to pay for peace of mind. Go to Carfax.com once you find out the VIN. Hope this helps!

Alex
Old 03-11-2001, 12:45 AM
MaxedOut97SE

Where did you find these cars for so cheap? A loaded '97 SE in good shape could cost that much. Get the 99, they look better. (in my opinion)

Old 03-11-2001, 03:06 AM

Both are great deals, the 99 more so IMO

Both deals sound almost too good to be. Might want to check em for potential crash, flood or other damage. If your not up to the task, get someone who is bc even if the carfax report doesn't indicate a problem you still should have the cars checked for this type of problem. New paint and frame or structural repairs are fairly easy to detect if you have a keen eye. First thing I do when checking a car for paint is compare the color/paint inside the gas lid area and in the door jams to other parts of the car. Then check under the car and in the wheel wells for overspray. There are lots of other checks which are done to detect these problems, but the hardest to check for is water damage. Only thing I would know to do is to get under the carpet and feel the underpadding to check for moisture. Maybe someone can add more about checking for water damage?

Like was said before, these cars are very reliable; I think the 99 even more so than the 00; seams like I've seen a few 5th geners complaining about various things on here lately. I don't like the 5th gen body style as much as the 4th gen but that's more of a personal thing.

Good luck.
Old 03-12-2001, 08:37 AM
atuzai

Thanks all

Thanks all for the advise. I decide to go with 99 first. Because $2000 difference is big money for me. The owner was busy yesterday. So I have to wait till tomorrow to see the car. And I just know someone had seen the car last wk, but for some reason I do not know he did not take it even such a great deal. So I am really worry about the car's condition. I decide to find someone to check it before I make the decision. any suggestion ? Pepboy, Carmax or nissan dealer? which one is better? Thanks!

Old 03-12-2001, 09:10 AM

Nissan dealer, definitely. They know the cars better than anybody and can give you the most accurate assessment.
Old 03-12-2001, 09:25 AM

In addition to the Carfax report ask the owner " Has thin vehicle had any repairs besides normal maintenance as state din the owners manual"? I say this b/c people ask if a car has been in an accidnt and the answer may be "no" but it may have been in a hail storm, etc, requiring extenssive work. Also ask to see the title to make sure it is not a salvage title (Carfax should ctahc this but you never know). If its got a good title - you are getting a great deal!