4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just got Technosquare ECU upgrade and reinstalled

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 10:56 AM

Just got Technosquare ECU upgrade and reinstalled

Well, Fedex delivered my upgraded ECU from Technosquare yesterday. They are a great company to deal with. No hassles at all. It was sent in and sent back within a week. I am definitely pleased with the service. I reinstalled the ECU with pretty much no problems. It's funny...it took two hours to remove the thing but only twenty minutes to reinstall it. I reconnected the battery and started the car. I didn't take her out for a drive yet but the engine ran smooth and no CEL. After work (about 2 hours), I am going to take her for a spin. After the drive, I will post my thoughts on the upgrade. From what I hear, it is pretty sweet! We will see.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:58 AM
^ Jeff™

Daymit you should have posted after you drove her. Now we all have to wait till you drive her.

Booo!!!
Old 02-17-2004, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by MrEous
Daymit you should have posted after you drove her. Now we all have to wait till you drive her.

Booo!!!
The suspense is killing me too!!! Can't wait til 4:30. Woo Hoo!!!
Old 02-17-2004, 12:06 PM

Hey is your name Aaron and you work with a guy named Geoff. I was just wondering since I used to be in a car club that was located in Indy with a member that I never met named Aaron with a ruby pearl 4th gen. Just wondering, I am not trying to stalk you!
Old 02-17-2004, 01:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well fellas the wait is over, I received my technosquare ECU today. Installed it and I could feel the low end power right off the bat. The car feels like it is ready to roll. I haven't tried it on top end yet.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cashj2002
Well fellas the wait is over, I received my technosquare ECU today. Installed it and I could feel the low end power right off the bat. The car feels like it is ready to roll. I haven't tried it on top end yet.
Alright everyone. The technosquare ECU is really impressive! The car seems to rev more freely and pulls quite a bit harder. Especially once in third gear at about 4,000 RPM and up. For the GD price of $380, it is really a great mod! Don't know how long that price will be around though.

Driving impression:

A little something different I noticed is that in neutral (I am a 5-speed), at idle the engine RPM's are around 800-900 RPM. But once I put it in gear, they drop to 600-700 RPM. Just something I noted.

The car really is much smoother and quicker. Even when I shifted to fifth at half-three quarter throttle, there was A LOT of pull. And I only was shifting around 5,000-5,500 RPM. Can't get over how awesome the product is.

And yes, I know Geoff.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by amb4081
Alright everyone. The technosquare ECU is really impressive! The car seems to rev more freely and pulls quite a bit harder. Especially once in third gear at about 4,000 RPM and up. For the GD price of $380, it is really a great mod! Don't know how long that price will be around though.

Driving impression:

A little something different I noticed is that in neutral (I am a 5-speed), at idle the engine RPM's are around 800-900 RPM. But once I put it in gear, they drop to 600-700 RPM. Just something I noted.

The car really is much smoother and quicker. Even when I shifted to fifth at half-three quarter throttle, there was A LOT of pull. And I only was shifting around 5,000-5,500 RPM. Can't get over how awesome the product is.

And yes, I know Geoff.
When you sent the ECU in, did you tell Technosquare what you had, or did you just send it in? I want a Technosquare ECU so bad now. One more thing, how hard would you say it would be for someone with no car experience to remove and reinstall the thing?
Old 02-17-2004, 04:43 PM
Tha Snatcher

Originally Posted by Cashj2002
awwwwww $hit
Old 02-17-2004, 04:52 PM

can sum1 fill me in on what the diffs are between the tch sq ECU and JWT? besides a lot of money and time spent on waiting.....
Old 02-17-2004, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by 96SE NUH?
can sum1 fill me in on what the diffs are between the tch sq ECU and JWT? besides a lot of money and time spent on waiting.....
JWT = increased rev limiter = only ECU upgrade you should get if you have MEVI
Old 02-17-2004, 06:57 PM

I also just got my techno back .... Hold on to your pants .. here we go ... I felt the difference right away . definitly worth it. although from you guys that got it back, how many of you have cel's already ?

taking the ecu is a pain in the ss , not much fun, reinstall takes minutes.

thanks
Old 02-17-2004, 10:28 PM

just reading your post makes me sick that i went with JWT for my ecu upgrade. I want my **** now! Instead i'm gonna have to wait till about mid april to get my ecu. O well guess that gives me time to save for a VI.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:02 AM

thats kinda crappy...they have the rasied rev limiter for the 2k2 and 2k3 but not for us? and the 5thgen is cheaper....wtf?
Old 02-18-2004, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Maxjm
When you sent the ECU in, did you tell Technosquare what you had, or did you just send it in? I want a Technosquare ECU so bad now. One more thing, how hard would you say it would be for someone with no car experience to remove and reinstall the thing?
There is a form you fill out that you send with your ECU to Technosquare. You fill in your make, model, year, modifications, transmission type, etc. The guy I discussed everything with was Danny Lee. Real cool guy.

Removal of the ECU requires patience. I took a Saturday afternoon to do mine. I could only work for about 30 minutes to an hour increments because of the position you have to lie down in and the frustration. Then I'd take a break and come back. It will make the job SO MUCH easier if you get yourself an offset screwdriver. A set of two are like $3. But it was the only way I could get the phillips screws out. Installation is pretty easy because you have experience of knowing the best way of reinstalling it. Hope this helps. Post anymore questions you have.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:02 AM

Can you get to the bolts for the ecu better if you take the radio portion of the dash out as though you were going to replace the radio?? I didnt look when i did my radio.......but lord if it took you two hours, and you can get to it with taking the radio out I would go that route...
Old 02-18-2004, 05:24 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Removing the ECU is very simple if you remove the ecu attached to the mounting bracket. Then it's just a couple of 10mm or 12mm bolts. Trying to remove the screws to take it out of the mounting bracket makes things much harder.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:55 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by takentomax
just reading your post makes me sick that i went with JWT for my ecu upgrade. I want my **** now! Instead i'm gonna have to wait till about mid april to get my ecu. O well guess that gives me time to save for a VI.
Patientence young Grasshopper. The MEVI/JWT ECU will bring a huge smile to your face especially when you walk away from a Maxima with just an ECU. The MEVI/JWT ECU really changes the character of the VQ.

Dave
Old 02-18-2004, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dave B
Patientence young Grasshopper. The MEVI/JWT ECU will bring a huge smile to your face especially when you walk away from a Maxima with just an ECU. The MEVI/JWT ECU really changes the character of the VQ.

Dave
I've read threads over the months of people utilizing the JWT ECU with MEVI because the rev limiter is raised (i think to 7100RPM?). How much power is a person losing out on if he/she uses the Technosquare ECU (rev limiter @ 6500RPM) vs. the JWT ECU (rev limiter at 7100RPM)?
Old 02-18-2004, 10:48 AM
ABK

it's not so much of power, it's the power bend. I think technosquare will have the gain on mevi/jwt from dead stop, but later on around 4,000 rpm mevi/jwt gets more power, and keeps the power going strong instead of dropping it off in high rpms. Therefore you have extand the rev limiter to fully enjoy the MEVI since the most of it power comes from around 5,000 rpms.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:37 AM

that's great and all, however, the technosquare ecu according to danny does rich out the mixture up high...by changing the air/fuel ratio...if you guys with the technosquare have noticed, there is a major improvement over stock at high end....primarily when I was stock I noticed power would dip off rapidly from 5500 rpm and on....now it gradually dips off from 6000 rpm and on....big improvement! in either case, I have raced a many mevi/jwt equipped maximas....when he had just the jwt, I slaughtered him...with the mevi....we were dead even....so no real big deal i say to the mevi....the mevi isn't all its cracked up to be! plus do you guys really wanna take a car that is god knows how many years old and god knows how many miles on the engine to to 71 or 7200 rpms??? doesn't sound as reliable to me...especially because I would am saving myself so much gas by not getting the mevi....otherwise I would drive higher rpm's all the time just to feel the experience!
Old 02-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by ABK
it's not so much of power, it's the power bend. I think technosquare will have the gain on mevi/jwt from dead stop, but later on around 4,000 rpm mevi/jwt gets more power, and keeps the power going strong instead of dropping it off in high rpms. Therefore you have extand the rev limiter to fully enjoy the MEVI since the most of it power comes from around 5,000 rpms.

The better breathing MEVI requires the extended redline to place the car in the correct powerband. My VQ's powerband is from 5000-6800rpms whereas the USIM VQ's powerband is from ~4200-5600rpms. The extended redline allows me to stay at 5000rpms on every shift. If I had the stock rev limiter, I'd drop out of my powerband and the car would be quite a bit slower especially upon entering 2nd and 3rd. A VQ with Technosquare/JWT ECU will out accelerate the MEVI/JWT ECU VQ till about 60mph (~.5-.7 cars), after that the MEVI/JWT ECU takes over and proceeds to slowly walk the other VQ. Generally, the MEVI/JWT ECU is riding on a powercurve that's ~15fwhp higher overall compared to the USIM/Technosquare/JWT ECU power curve. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but keep in mind the MEVI/JWT ECU setup is making ~40fwhp more at 6500rpms compared to USIM/Techno/JWT setup. That's pretty significant, especially in high speed contests.

IMO, the JWT ECU is the only way to go whether you have MEVI or not. Granted it's $200 more, but you get the extended redline which DOES help VQ's with the USIM. The ideal shift point for the 1-2 shift with the USIM occurs at ~6800rpms which is something you can't do with the stock ECU or Technosquare ECU. All the other shift points are below 6500rpms. The JWT ECU just makes more sense because it's useful for both USIM and MEVI applications.

Dave
Old 02-18-2004, 11:52 AM

If anyone is looking to buy a Techno :

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=286469
Old 02-18-2004, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
that's great and all, however, the technosquare ecu according to danny does rich out the mixture up high...by changing the air/fuel ratio...if you guys with the technosquare have noticed, there is a major improvement over stock at high end....primarily when I was stock I noticed power would dip off rapidly from 5500 rpm and on....now it gradually dips off from 6000 rpm and on....big improvement! in either case, I have raced a many mevi/jwt equipped maximas....when he had just the jwt, I slaughtered him...with the mevi....we were dead even....so no real big deal i say to the mevi....the mevi isn't all its cracked up to be! plus do you guys really wanna take a car that is god knows how many years old and god knows how many miles on the engine to to 71 or 7200 rpms??? doesn't sound as reliable to me...especially because I would am saving myself so much gas by not getting the mevi....otherwise I would drive higher rpm's all the time just to feel the experience!
The MEVI/JWT ECU maximas own the top 5 list of the fastest NA maximas with ET and trap speed. You care to share you dyno graphs of how your power no longer drops off after 5.5K rpms? Your power still drops like a rock, I have seen G-force ECU dynos that prove it. The ECU is not going to overpower the flow charectoristics of the stock manifold. Sorry to break it to ya but an MEVI/JWT ECU maxima VS a G-force ECU maxima w/ the stock intake manifold (all other things being equal) will get walked. And from a 40mph roll will get owned in a major way.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:26 PM

nope....been there done that! not true...raced equal car and for the most part...he is a better stick driver than i am....i have technosquare, he has mevi and jwt....we did a 20-100 race....dead even the whole way...maybe its the technosquare more aggressive timing than the jwt....personally i just think the jwt is not programmed as aggressively as it could, in either case i was shocked as well...dead even....was a really interesting race....in either case I also had a ton of crap in my trunk! same gas as him though....1/3 tank....anyway, you'd be suprised how much of a difference it doesn't make! give it a try with an equal driver, equal car maxima...anyway...I would wage the longevity of my car in a competition any day to see who's car lasts longer and goes to a higher mileage because I'm not ramming my engine and tranny to 7200 rpm's every gear...and no, the top NA maxima's vary....if you look closely....they are split half and half....if you wanna know, just ask one of the fastest NA maxima's out there....ceasar's chariot...in either case, mevi makes no sense on a NA car according to hlh0501....he saw no real benefits in racing and on the drag strip until he went FI!!! then the mevi is a huge benefit!
Old 02-18-2004, 01:36 PM

I got lucky, I got my JWT ECu only at $386.00 with shipping included through e-bay from a former Maxima owner. It really increased my maxima's 3k - 5k rpm performance!!!
Old 02-18-2004, 01:43 PM
§č~® f®ČÄk

nope....been there done that! not true...raced equal car and for the most part...he is a better stick driver than i am....i have technosquare, he has mevi and jwt....we did a 20-100 race....dead even the whole way...maybe its the technosquare more aggressive timing than the jwt....personally i just think the jwt is not programmed as aggressively as it could, in either case i was shocked as well...dead even....was a really interesting race....in either case I also had a ton of crap in my trunk! same gas as him though....1/3 tank....anyway, you'd be suprised how much of a difference it doesn't make! give it a try with an equal driver, equal car maxima...anyway...I would wage the longevity of my car in a competition any day to see who's car lasts longer and goes to a higher mileage because I'm not ramming my engine and tranny to 7200 rpm's every gear...and no, the top NA maxima's vary....if you look closely....they are split half and half....if you wanna know, just ask one of the fastest NA maxima's out there....ceasar's chariot...in either case, mevi makes no sense on a NA car according to hlh0501....he saw no real benefits in racing and on the drag strip until he went FI!!! then the mevi is a huge benefit!

n: give us some dyno graphs or track times then we'll see.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:47 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

It's not the fuel programming of the JWT ECU that's the major benefit, it's the extended rev-limiter and like Mike said, the power drop off after ~5500rpms is because of the intake runner length, not fuel. I don't know who owns all these MEVI/JWT ECU equipped 4th gens you're racing because there's not many of them out there, but their driving and/or cars sound a bit weak. Maybe they have heavy wheels or elaborate sound systems? You are right in that out of the top 10 NA 4th gen Maximas only four have the MEVI/JWT, but you missed out on the fact the BriGuyMax's and 96Sleeper's(who's an auto) runs were done with just the MEVI so that makes 6 of the top 10 with at least the MEVI. You're overlooking one critical piece of data though, trap speed. The guys with the MEVI's are typically 2-3mph faster in the 1/4 mile on average. Look at Neal's runs, he's consistently in the 100-101mph range. My best ET only came with a 97mph trap speed, but I typically get higher 98s and sometimes a 99mph and that's 1100' above sea level. Sorry, but there aren't any non-MEVI VQ's coming remotely close to touching 99-100mph traps. Trap speed is a clear indicator of true power and the MEVI owns. Put all the top 10 NA 4th gens on the same track and with equal 60 foots, the MEVI/JWT ECU will own all of them.

What do you run in the 1/4 mile and what do the MEVI/JWT ECU Maxima's run in the 1/4 mile. Street racing to determine your car's performance is not legit. Reaction times mean everything in a bracket race and you need timers to see which car is truely the quickest. I've beaten more 13-second cars on the street than I can count only because I outreacted the driver or got off the line better. A difference of a .500 reaction time and a .800 reaction time, which would be nearly impossible to gauge from your seat, would mean the difference of 2.5 car lengths by the end of the track assuming the cars got the same 60 foots and 1/4 mile ET/MPH. I've outran numerous LS1 F-Bodies at the track because I outreacted the driver, or got a better 60', or the LS1 got horrible spin into 2nd gear. Just because I beat them to the end doesn't mean my car is technically quicker or faster.

The MEVI/JWT ECU is not a modification that's going to transform a 4th gen Maxima into an LS1, but there is no disputing the fact the MEVI/JWT ECU combo makes the most power under the curve that's what matters in acceleration. The MEVI/JWT ECU VQ's also make the highest overall power.

I just have the 7000rpm limiter and I do just fine. The amount of time I spend accelerating from 6500-7000rpms in 1st (less than 1 second), 2nd ( less than 2 seconds), and 3rd (~3 seconds) is pretty minimal. I've never wound out 4th so I wouldn't know how long it take to go from 6500-7000rpms. It's actually quite rare that I take my rpms over 6000rpms in any gear and if I do it's usually only 2nd gear that I choose to wind out. The track is the only place I wind out 1,2, and 3. The motor doesn't make any funny noises either seeing that the VQ is only being operated 500rpms outside it's OEM operating range. The VQ itself is good to about 8000rpms and the stock valvetrain is good to ~7300-7500rpms according to JWT. The reason Nissan choose the rev-limiter for all the VQs is most likely to increase accessory life.

As for Hal and Ceasar, I don't think Hal ever ran with the MEVI/JWT. I think he only ran with the MEVI and saw no improvement, like myself. Once I added the JWT ECU, I dropped an average .25 seconds and gained 2.5mph. As for Ceasar being one of the "fastest", WRONG. Fast and quick are two entirely difference things. Fast is MPH and quick is ET. Fast is due to HP and quick is due to traction. Ceasar gets 95-96mph traps which is very normal for his mods, the difference is he can get good 60 foots therefore he's quick.

Dave
Old 02-18-2004, 02:34 PM

To settle this debate. I asked Danny(that's his name I beleive?) at Technosqaure about cracking the rev limiter on the ECU. He said that they are working on it. If any one like me got an ECU from Technosuare, they will charge $150 to reprogram it. So that's $530 total for us who already have a Technosquare ECU. That's still cheaper than the JWT isn't it?
Old 02-18-2004, 02:54 PM

You act as if having a 7200 rev limiter means that I must wind out my car to 7200rpm's in every gear, every time I drive. I take it to 7200 maybe a few times a week and when I go to the track. On the other hand I have seen 7200 at least 100 times in my 115K mile 96 I30 and have had no problems.

So if Hal says something it's true???? Who cares what his opinion is on the MEVI.....I have #'s to back my mods up. A best 14.1 ET and 99mph trap. Is your max running those times??? How about Neal? 13.9 on steet tires traping a 100mph or more. 96 sleeper, 14.2 in his auto and how he has a 5-speed. 13's for sure. Dave traping 99mph. Guess what we all have in common?

Ceaser has very respectable ET's because he is a good driver....I would bet he would disagree with you on this subject anyhow.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:14 PM

Not that it matters but i think 96sleeper has a gforce....not even a JWT....er am i wrong??
Old 02-18-2004, 04:15 PM

Not that it matters but i think 96sleeper has a gforce....not even a JWT....er am i wrong?? he still has a damn fast car, imagine if he had a jwt. ba$tard.

edit:
stupid me i shoulda looked b4 posting he does have jwt nevermind.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:09 AM

well....what hal says does go...because if you ever talked to him for a few minutes....you would realize he knows more about the VQ30DE than most of us on the forums will know combined ever! in either case, I am simply just speaking from experience on street with the several jwt/mevi maxima's in california here....! like I said there were no unfair advantages given to either driver! anyway, those trap speeds mean nothing on the street....as I can tell you from so many encounters....for example, my friends 3rd gen whom is sitting next to me right now, admits that he would pay anything for the low-end around town power that my 4th gen has! instead...he has to wind little bit higher in every gear to get in the power-band, hence using more gas ever gear just to drive as spirited as I am shifting out at 3K rpms every gear...in either case, according to a Nissan Master tech that I know out here personally as well as Hal, there are two reasons for the power on the VQ30DE dipping off so quickly after 5500rpms...first is its A/F ratio which was set by Nissan to discourage poeple from bouncing off rev-limiter and secondly the length of the intake runners....which were designed for tons of low-end not high end...!! If you wanted to wind your car to 7 grand to get the most out of your engine....you should have bought a Honda..which is their entire engineering philosophy and still is! Have you ever driven an S2000? gutless below any reasonable rpm that could keep the sound down and essentially you off a cops radar....in either case, the other "fastest NA maximas" on the so called tiny list because most maxima's guy's honestly never take their car to the strip do not have the mevi's and are running side by side in ET's at the strip without the mevi.....reason? I am sure the mevi guys are great drivers who get good traction, but why are they getting no greater times.....??? why has every mevi/jwt owner I speak to out here tell me they noticed a drop of .2-.3 second drop in ET's when the guys with technosquare's are all dropping consistent .2sec off their ET's? not much difference if you ask me....my guess is....think less about top-end power and more about working on you as a driver....better shifting, reaction, launching, tweaking tire pressures, suspension setup etc....so buy an expensive mevi.......wind my old motor out to 7K rpms and use more gas all the time in doing so....just to feel the lovely power boost of my purchase? for a ET drop that is equal to that of technosquare's ecu...? all I am saying is, JWT's programming needs some work....if that's the best they can do....technosquare on the other hand, pending their new programming with raised rev limiter....and MEVI....then there might be something to talk about!!! and you will also not have to wait 2 months for it back! which essentially means you are 2months and .3sec faster in the quarter in either case, its a shame the mevi couldn't beneft from the stock rev limiter...such as on a 3rd gen or 5th gen...but that's a story for the cam grinder! anyway, either option is good, but why not be putting out just as good ET's for a much lower cost?
Old 02-19-2004, 03:52 AM

the other "fastest NA maximas" on the so called tiny list because most maxima's guy's honestly never take their car to the strip do not have the mevi's and are running side by side in ET's at the strip without the mevi.....reason? I am sure the mevi guys are great drivers who get good traction, but why are they getting no greater times.....??? why has every mevi/jwt owner I speak to out here tell me they noticed a drop of .2-.3 second drop in ET's when the guys with technosquare's are all dropping consistent .2sec off their ET's? not much difference if you ask me....
It is clear to me now that you have no idea what you are talking about. A maxima with JWT/MEVI can not be compared to an S2000. We have torque and top end. When I was fully modded without MEVI I had the Gforce (technosquare ecu) and barely squeaked out a 14.9 after many attempts at the track. Once I added the MEVI I picked up about .4 and 4mph. Then when I added the JWT instead of the Gforce I gained another .2 off my time. You are absolutely crazy if you think a technosquare ecu compares to a JWT/MEVI combo. I have had both ecu's, and a MEVI, and I can tell you there is no comparison. Track times might be close due to differences in driver skill, but trap speed is a big deal because it shows how much power you are making. A car that traps 3mph faster than another will walk it in a race.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:29 AM

well....what hal says does go...because if you ever talked to him for a few minutes....you would realize he knows more about the VQ30DE than most of us on the forums will know combined ever! in either case, I am simply just speaking from experience on street with the several jwt/mevi maxima's in california here....! like I said there were no unfair advantages given to either driver! anyway, those trap speeds mean nothing on the street....as I can tell you from so many encounters....for example, my friends 3rd gen whom is sitting next to me right now, admits that he would pay anything for the low-end around town power that my 4th gen has! instead...he has to wind little bit higher in every gear to get in the power-band, hence using more gas ever gear just to drive as spirited as I am shifting out at 3K rpms every gear...in either case, according to a Nissan Master tech that I know out here personally as well as Hal, there are two reasons for the power on the VQ30DE dipping off so quickly after 5500rpms...first is its A/F ratio which was set by Nissan to discourage poeple from bouncing off rev-limiter and secondly the length of the intake runners....which were designed for tons of low-end not high end...!! If you wanted to wind your car to 7 grand to get the most out of your engine....you should have bought a Honda..which is their entire engineering philosophy and still is! Have you ever driven an S2000? gutless below any reasonable rpm that could keep the sound down and essentially you off a cops radar....in either case, the other "fastest NA maximas" on the so called tiny list because most maxima's guy's honestly never take their car to the strip do not have the mevi's and are running side by side in ET's at the strip without the mevi.....reason? I am sure the mevi guys are great drivers who get good traction, but why are they getting no greater times.....??? why has every mevi/jwt owner I speak to out here tell me they noticed a drop of .2-.3 second drop in ET's when the guys with technosquare's are all dropping consistent .2sec off their ET's? not much difference if you ask me....my guess is....think less about top-end power and more about working on you as a driver....better shifting, reaction, launching, tweaking tire pressures, suspension setup etc....so buy an expensive mevi.......wind my old motor out to 7K rpms and use more gas all the time in doing so....just to feel the lovely power boost of my purchase? for a ET drop that is equal to that of technosquare's ecu...? all I am saying is, JWT's programming needs some work....if that's the best they can do....technosquare on the other hand, pending their new programming with raised rev limiter....and MEVI....then there might be something to talk about!!! and you will also not have to wait 2 months for it back! which essentially means you are 2months and .3sec faster in the quarter in either case, its a shame the mevi couldn't beneft from the stock rev limiter...such as on a 3rd gen or 5th gen...but that's a story for the cam grinder! anyway, either option is good, but why not be putting out just as good ET's for a much lower cost?

I guess you expect me to read that jumbled mess?? I caught the part about what ever Hal say's goes......then something about me needing to work on my driving.

So what kind of ET's and trap speeds have you been seeing with your G-force and stock manifold.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by athlon omega
To settle this debate. I asked Danny(that's his name I beleive?) at Technosqaure about cracking the rev limiter on the ECU. He said that they are working on it. If any one like me got an ECU from Technosuare, they will charge $150 to reprogram it. So that's $530 total for us who already have a Technosquare ECU. That's still cheaper than the JWT isn't it?
You're correct. I don't know if it is cheaper going directly through JWT but if you order thru Cattman, it's $565 for the JWT ECU upgrade. So you save about $35 with Technosquare. We'll just have to wait and see if they get the rev limiter raised.

I didn't mean for this thread to become a debate. I was just posting my experiences with the ECU mod. I'm going to just enjoy this mod until the next one. Can't we all just get along?
Old 02-19-2004, 07:13 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

instead...he has to wind little bit higher in every gear to get in the power-band, hence using more gas ever gear just to drive as spirited as I am shifting out at 3K rpms every gear...
FYI, according to my dyno plot with just the MEVI, my car actually made more HP and TQ from 1900 to 3000rpms over the USIM.

there are two reasons for the power on the VQ30DE dipping off so quickly after 5500rpms...first is its A/F ratio which was set by Nissan to discourage poeple from bouncing off rev-limiter and secondly the length of the intake runners....which were designed for tons of low-end not high end...!! If you wanted to wind your car to 7 grand to get the most out of your engine....you should have bought a Honda..which is their entire engineering philosophy and still is! Have you ever driven an S2000?
The reason the A/F ratio becomes fubar'd after 5500rpms is because the runners are choking the air to the motor (ie the A/F ratio becomes rich). No matter how much you think you can tweak the A/F ratios, you're not going to improve power after 5500rpms with USIM without changing the runners. A motor is an air pump and if you can't pump more air into it, it's going to start and loose power at a certain rpm.

why has every mevi/jwt owner I speak to out here tell me they noticed a drop of .2-.3 second drop in ET's when the guys with technosquare's are all dropping consistent .2sec off their ET's? not much difference if you ask me....my guess is....think less about top-end power and more about working on you as a driver....better shifting, reaction, launching, tweaking tire pressures, suspension setup etc....so buy an expensive mevi.......wind my old motor out to 7K rpms and use more gas all the time in doing so....just to feel the lovely power boost of my purchase? for a ET drop that is equal to that of technosquare's ecu...? all I am saying is, JWT's programming needs some work....
I can guarentee you that the gains with the MEVI and JWT ECU will be at least .2 better than just an Techno/JWT ECU. You can't dispute the FWHP and the power curves of the MEVI/JWT ECU. If you would do the calculations, you would see the truth and which car is actually more powerful. After 70mph, the MEVI is the clear winner. Believe me, having the MEVI on the highway is damn fun. Dropping it into 3rd at 70mph and having the VQ snap your neck and start to accelerate with a nice solid rush of power is a very sweet thing. It's amazing to watch the tach swing past 6500rpms with the motor sounding so refined and still pulling hard whereas the USIM would be making it's famous choking sound around 5800rpms.

its a shame the mevi couldn't beneft from the stock rev limiter...such as on a 3rd gen or 5th gen...but that's a story for the cam grinder!
Every 3rd gen dyno plot I've seen shows power falling off around 5600rpms. The VE doesn't make strong power to redline like the 3rd geners would like to believe, but that's another topic all together. As for the DE-K 5th gen utilizing it's significant power and stock 6500rpm rev-limiter, wrong again. The 5th gen DE-K is no quicker than a 4th gen even though it makes quite a bit more power. Some of the weight gain is to blame, but so is the stock rev limiter. If the DE-K had a 7000rpms limiter, it would be about .3 and 2mph quicker on average.

anyway, either option is good, but why not be putting out just as good ET's for a much lower cost?
If you're so concerned about ET, then get slicks. That is the best way to improve quickness for the price. Slicks should net a solid .4 improvement in ET. I like having my quickness and speed. The MEVI gives both. Until a USIM with ECU VQ gets into the 13.6 range, I'll continue to believe the extra $650 you'll spend on the MEVI/JWT ECU is the way to go.

Everyone:

I have nothing against the Technosquare ECU and I think it's a great deal. When they bust the rev-limiter code, JWT is going to loose a ton of business. My whole point is that for the most NA performance, a raised rev-limiter and MEVI is the best way to go. If you prefer to have more midrange power (3400-5200rpms) and most of your driving and racing is done from 0-70mph, then the USIM with an ECU is the way to go. If you want the best overall acceleration, the MEVI/JWT ECU is the only way to go.

Dave
Old 02-19-2004, 11:34 AM

i paid $380 for mine including tax...and deal which was not part of the group deal....simply just call up Danny and ask really nicely, and he will be happy to accomodate you! in either case, that is a huge saving over the JWT/MEVI combo.....look all I was saying was that I wish our cars came with a mevi stock like like the 5th gen does....i never said the 5th gen or 3rd gen is faster....faster is just a concept best explained by power-to-weight ratios....something well traveled in the maxima world when juxtaposing all the different generations of maximas...I run 14.4's consistently with a 2.21 60ft. and still have a UDP and fidanza laying around....have to install it later this month! in either case, all I am stating is that for the money my friend whom has the JWT/MEVI combo and pulls the same timeslips as I do, wishes he had saved his money for something more useful at the strip, not on the highway, ie. flywheel and udp....I had the distinct opportunity to drive his car recently and can safely say that I agree with him, the mevi is best saved for those of us lucky maxima owners who elect to dive into the forced induction world, where the gains are huge from the MEVI, until then, the characteristics of the stock powerband supported by the USIM are more than enough to be even with him....something which he despises me for....this is not a slam against the MEVI, but rather against the ecu supporting its optimum breathing, the JWT ecu, perhaps technosquares rev limiter removed ecu in the "near future" according to Danny would compliment the MEVI beautifully! only time and dyno plotting/timeslips will tell! anyway, this is not an issue of the MEVI being useless, but rather a last item used on our NA cars to suck every last HP out of our 3 liters....in other words, if you are going the forced induction route, the MEVI should be required!!! if not, you might want to consider other options before laying down so much cash, such as trapping the same ET's for a lot less cash?? value is the concern here, nothing more, nothing less...the mevi is a useful tool if tuned to open at the optimum range, but perhaps a more aggressive ecu such as the technosquares would enable a mevi equipped maxima to truly shine the way it was meant to!!! and net much more than a .2-.3 sec reduction for your money!
Old 02-19-2004, 11:39 AM

by the way, according to a nissan master tech, the a/f ratio was de-tuned as we get closer to redline on the stock ecu programming to discourage people from bouncing off rev-limiter (kind of like a pre-emptive rev limiter/fuel cut off scenario), so yes, there are two things to blame regarding the USIM's power "drop-off", the intake runner length and the a/f ratio....something that is not only effected by the lack of air, but also by a decision from the engineers of our cars, something which I did notice improve with my technosquare as I mentioned before, now power drops off at 6 rather than 5.5K, and therefore shifted the power at 6 previously to the power at 6.5K, not much more, but a great deal more when shifting at 6.5K into the next gear...
Old 02-19-2004, 01:36 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

michaelnyden:

You joined this site this month and you claim 14.4s in LA. All the LA guys do is ***** about the altitude and how slow they are at LACR. How are you so quick? Sorry, but I don't buy your 14.4s. You're a newbie, don't have pics of your car, no pics of your slips, no dyno pics, and no one in here knows you. What makes it worse is you really don't know what you're talking about.

AGAIN, your "master" Nissan mechanic is clueless. The USIM runners are the culprit for power falling off at ~5500rpms. The ONLY way to overcome the volumetric ineffenecy of the runners is to add a turbo/SC. Look at any dyno plot with the A/F ratio on a NA VQ and you'll see that the A/F ratio hovers around 13.5:1 to 13:1 from 3800-6500rpms. That is slightly rich, but that is very typical of any car under heavy load. There's nothing strange going here. It's a straight line. You're acting as if once 5500rpms comes around the A/F goes super rich (which it doesn't). You don't want an overly lean A/F mixture in the higher rpms because nasty things can happen. The ideal A/F ratio is ~14.7:1 and most VQs are in that range from 1500-3500rpms. Tweaking the A/F to 14.7:1 from 3800-6500+ would be a very gutsy move for Technosquare because every car runs a little differently and I don't know if they want to be responsible for a VQ that's being run at 6500rpms on 100 degree day and possibly running a slightly out of spec 15:1 A/F......POP!!! You keep mentioning A/F, but what about timing? That's where most of the power is coming from with the ECUs.

I've seen dynos of the Technosquare ECUs and dynos of the JWT ECUs on USIM VQs. There's no dicernable difference. BTW, the infamous Jeff K dynoed at 187fwhp/207fwtq with his 96 SE CAI/E/Y/JWT ECU. I don't see any Technosquare VQs doing that.

Who is this MEVI/JWT ECU owner that's jealous of your car? Let me guess, he doesn't post on the Org, right? Driving the car and determining it's power by feel is pure BS. Of course the USIM/ECU will "feel" more powerful initially, but that power isn't sustained near as long nor as deep. That's where the MEVI is so effective. It stretches it's legs in each gear. A great example would be when I'd drive my buddies 1990 5.0 LX Mustang with 3.73 gears after driving my 94 Z28 automatic. The Mustang felt far more powerful than the Z28 because it was geared so deep. However, in any speed, the Stang got walked. I ran consistent 13.5s@103mph. He ran consistent 14.0s@98mph.

Dave
Old 02-19-2004, 04:05 PM
SLOW

Fun thread.

ET determines how quick a car is, trap speed determines how fast a car is. The trap speeds that cars with Gforce ecu are seeing really don't hold a candle to the trap speeds MEVI/JWT cars are seeing. There are a number of us who have trapped over 99 almost 100, and then me who trapped 101. The highest Gforce trap that I know of is Rudy aka VQdriver, who trapped 98.x on one run, typical traps for him are 96-97 if I remember out conversations correctly. Caesar ran badass times because he is awesome at launching his car, his 2.12 60' time is a testament to that. Same with VQdriver who ran a 2.09 60' time once. Their trap speeds however are much lower in general than MEVI/JWT cars.

The cars with ECU only have a bit more peak torque than cars with MEVI/JWT, but in a race to anything more than about 60mph, the MEVI/JWT car is clearly a faster car.

Quick Reply: Just got Technosquare ECU upgrade and reinstalled