4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What size Torx bolt do I need to remove the airbags?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 02:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What size Torx bolt do I need to remove the airbags?

Ok, I'm removing my steering wheel and I need to know which torx bolts to use to remove the steering wheel, driver-side airbag, and passenger-side airbag. Thanks!

Ryan
Old 02-18-2004, 04:46 PM

come on, someone needs to know.....
Old 02-18-2004, 04:50 PM

nope sorry
Old 02-18-2004, 04:51 PM

usually torx come in a set just buy the set also i hope you have your battery cable disconnected when you take your airbag out, i work at a chevy dealership and a mech. forgot to do so when replacing the airbag and it blew his ear drum very very dangerous.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:54 PM
Jedi Knight

I think its a 45 or 47...I'll go double check...but why are you removing the bags?
Old 02-18-2004, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by BC_95GLE
usually torx come in a set just buy the set also i hope you have your battery cable disconnected when you take your airbag out, i work at a chevy dealership and a mech. forgot to do so when replacing the airbag and it blew his ear drum very very dangerous.

yes, i have the haynes manual, it said to disconnect the battery cables and to unplug the airbag sensor and wait 10minutes before attempting to remove the airbag. thanks for the heads up though.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by nupe500
I think its a 45 or 47...I'll go double check...but why are you removing the bags?

I'm removing them so i can spray paint them....I'm removing my entire dashboard and prepping the airbags, steering wheel, and dash so i can dye the vinyl.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:57 PM

the haynes manual doesn't say what size of torx bolt to use.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:57 PM

im preaty sure they have a little pin in the bolt...like right in the middle, just go to a a big tool store and they will have it, or just call ur local nissan dealership and they can tell u where to get one and what size it is.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by maxima98vspec
im preaty sure they have a little pin in the bolt...like right in the middle, just go to a a big tool store and they will have it, or just call ur local nissan dealership and they can tell u where to get one and what size it is.

I did call my local dealership, and the guy I talked to didn't have an answer, he said they don't know which torx bolt to use, and he said that they get the torx bolt through nissan...he said if he knew, he would've told me.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:12 PM
Sin

Not only is the size important, but you need a "security torx". If you look at the bolts holding in your air bags, there is a nub right in the middle of the head. Try using a regular torx bit on it, and it won't do jack. You need the hollowed out "security torx".

It's the manufacturer's way of preventing liability.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sin
Not only is the size important, but you need a "security torx". If you look at the bolts holding in your air bags, there is a nub right in the middle of the head. Try using a regular torx bit on it, and it won't do jack. You need the hollowed out "security torx".

It's the manufacturer's way of preventing liability.

anywhere i can find a "security torx"?
Old 02-18-2004, 05:15 PM
STFU n00b!

on my 3rd gen, it was a T50H...
remember, it's got the funky little nub in the middle.

I just went to sears and bought a set of torx bits, then a small cobalt drill bit and used my drill press to drill a hole in the end of the torx bit. worked great, and way cheaper than spending hours (days) trying to find the security hex bit.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:16 PM
Sin

LOL, Matt93SE just answered your question. Don't bother looking for them, they are rare (again, liability issues).

You are better off using a drill press to drill out the centre of the regular torx bit.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sin
LOL, Matt93SE just answered your question. Don't bother looking for them, they are rare (again, liability issues).

You are better off using a drill press to drill out the centre of the regular torx bit.

grrrrrrrrrr
Old 02-18-2004, 05:20 PM

oh well, i will just paint the airbag black and just get a black wheelskin cover...safer and less stressful. thanks for your help guys.

ryan
Old 02-18-2004, 05:21 PM
Sin

It'll take you all of 5 minutes to drill it out man? What's the big deal? A good drill, a cobalt bit (everyone that works on their own car should have a set of these bits) and you should be able to do it free hand. Just make sure you secure the bit properly, use a good punch, and go progressively bigger with the bits, starting as small as possible.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:24 PM

nah, i dont have a drill, and don't feel like going to my parents house to get one. better be safe than sorry. i didn't know how tough it would be...so i'm just gonna leave it alone then. thanks though
Old 02-18-2004, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by rwatt1981
I did call my local dealership, and the guy I talked to didn't have an answer, he said they don't know which torx bolt to use, and he said that they get the torx bolt through nissan...he said if he knew, he would've told me.
i called the dealership about the same thing and they told me that any big tool store would have them but u don have to get them security torx so the air bag bolts, he said they are like 10 bucks for the set......
Old 02-18-2004, 05:46 PM

nah, i dont have a drill, and don't feel like going to my parents house to get one. better be safe than sorry. i didn't know how tough it would be...so i'm just gonna leave it alone then. thanks though
u can try to drill them and then u can go and get some new drill bits cause they will break...well atleast mine did, they just snaped....sorry bout the double post.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:48 PM

i called the dealership about the same thing and they told me that any big tool store would have them but u don have to get them security torx so the air bag bolts, he said they are like 10 bucks for the set......
so they have the right torx bolt at home depot, sears, etc? explain
Old 02-18-2004, 05:49 PM
Sin

If you aren't tool/engineering/automotive savy, I wouldn't even consider something like air bag removal. But for many orgers, removing airbags is easy.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:51 PM
Sin

What the hell does
but u don have to get them security torx so the air bag bolts
that mean?

If you know where to get a set of security torx bits for $10, please provide the contact.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sin
If you aren't tool/engineering/automotive savy, I wouldn't even consider something like air bag removal. But for many orgers, removing airbags is easy.

i know how to work on things...i have a 2-stroke dirtbike that i work on, changing the top end, brakes, etc. i just thought it might be easier to just just paint the airbag itself intact with the steering wheel. i don't have a garage, i live in an apartment building with just a basic socket set, screwdrivers, etc.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:53 PM
Sin

u can try to drill them and then u can go and get some new drill bits cause they will break...well atleast mine did, they just snaped....sorry bout the double post.
If they are snapping, you are either using the wrong bits, or you need to work on your drilling. I can't remember the last time I snapped a bit, and I've drilled out many a seized bolt.

Make sure you are using something with adequate torque, the proper bit for the job, and don't forget cutting oil to extend the life of those expensive bits.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:57 PM
Sin

i know how to work on things...i have a 2-stroke dirtbike that i work on, changing the top end, brakes, etc. i just thought it might be easier to just just paint the airbag itself intact with the steering wheel. i don't have a garage, i live in an apartment building with just a basic socket set, screwdrivers, etc.
Removing the passenger airbag for painting isn't critical, but I'd definetly want to remove the driver air bag to paint it properly. To remove the driver air bag is stupidly easy, even if you have to be creative with the torx security bolts. There are many other options, i.e. vice grips, bolt outs, punch and hammer, etc. Once you break the loctite loose and take the load off the head (just a slight turn), because the bolts and fittings are high quality and mounted inside the car, they spin off with your fingers.

Trust me, don't let these bolts keep you from removing the air bags. You'll be sorry you did after the paint job.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sin
If they are snapping, you are either using the wrong bits, or you need to work on your drilling. I can't remember the last time I snapped a bit, and I've drilled out many a seized bolt.

Make sure you are using something with adequate torque, the proper bit for the job, and don't forget cutting oil to extend the life of those expensive bits.
well actualy my bit slipped inside the bolt between the nub and it got stuck and snaped, so i didn't want to do it anymore, im just gonna buy the set of thoes adapters and il get it done properly. i can drill but i just drilled out my exhaust bolts and after that i just got sicc of drilling.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Sin

well actualy my bit slipped inside the bolt between the nub and it got stuck and snaped, so i didn't want to do it anymore, im just gonna buy the set of thoes adapters and il get it done properly. i can drill but i just drilled out my exhaust bolts and after that i just got sicc of drilling.
You don't drill out that nub. If you want to go about removing the nubs, use a die-grinder. And why would you want to go about drilling the nubs over drilling the driver? It's like multiplying the annoying job as many times as there are bolts. Also, many are not that accessible, ESPECIALLY when compared to a driver.

Adapters? Adapters for what?
Old 02-18-2004, 06:41 PM

i didn't mean the adapter but the actual torx for that special bolt, i called my local dealership a moth or so ago, and they told me of this place that would carry them and they said about 10 bucks for a set of 5 or so, but i haven't gotten around to go and get them yet, i forgot what the place was called but i know what the address is, this is just what the dealership told me... and they said that that's where they would get them if they ended up loosing theirs and they need one in a hurry. i can find out the place name if ya guys need it.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:43 PM

i didn't mean the adapter but the actual torx for that special bolt, i called my local dealership a moth or so ago, and they told me of this place that would carry them and they said about 10 bucks for a set of 5 or so, but i haven't gotten around to go and get them yet, i forgot what the place was called but i know what the address is, this is just what the dealership told me... and they said that that's where they would get them if they ended up loosing theirs and they need one in a hurry. i can find out the place name if ya guys need it.

YES PLEASE TELL ME
Old 02-18-2004, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sin
You don't drill out that nub. If you want to go about removing the nubs, use a die-grinder. And why would you want to go about drilling the nubs over drilling the driver? It's like multiplying the annoying job as many times as there are bolts. Also, many are not that accessible, ESPECIALLY when compared to a driver.

Adapters? Adapters for what?
yea it was a preaty small bit, i was drillin down the middle of it, and it seemed to work but i think i lost my ballace and it slipped and broke and then i just gave up cause then i would have to drill out every single bold, and there is like 8 of them and 10 min a piece......no way, i will just go but they torx set.

Rwatt.....give me 10 min or so....

<EDIT>The place that i was told by the dealership was TOOLS UNLIMITED
anbd the addy is 3121 s 300 w Salt Lake City Utah 84115
and the phone # is 801 487 9839......if any of u guys find out for sure that they have them, i can go get them for ya and ship it to you, if u can't find them.<EDIT>
Old 02-18-2004, 06:48 PM
Sin

I know Snap On sells them. They sell VERY high quality tools, and the pricing reflects that. Considering I've gotten around the problem without buying them, and that I'll pretty much never use them again, I couldn't justify buying the Snap On ones. But if there were a source that had them for as cheap you say, I'd definetly be interested.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:52 PM

yea i know im gonna use them once and that's it, so i don't want to buy some expensive tool for that, i just go get something cheap that works.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:53 PM

its not a torx bolt, its a airbag bag bolt, it has a special design just for airbags. Sears usually dosent carry them, but I know for a fact that snap on sells them as wells as matco. about 15 dollars for the socket. And dont try to drill out the bolt , it takes less then .05 amps to set of a air bag
Old 02-18-2004, 06:55 PM

yea it was a preaty small bit, i was drillin down the middle of it, and it seemed to work but i think i lost my ballace and it slipped and broke and then i just gave up cause then i would have to drill out every single bold, and there is like 8 of them and 10 min a piece......no way, i will just go but they torx set.

Rwatt.....give me 10 min or so....

<EDIT>The place that i was told by the dealership was TOOLS UNLIMITED
anbd the addy is 3121 s 300 w Salt Lake City Utah 84115
and the phone # is 801 487 9839......if any of u guys find out for sure that they have them, i can go get them for ya and ship it to you, if u can't find them.<EDIT>

Ok, this place has the EXACT tool...that has a hole in the middle of the torx bolt that I can remove the airbag with?
Old 02-18-2004, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kashoggio
its not a torx bolt, its a airbag bag bolt, it has a special design just for airbags. Sears usually dosent carry them, but I know for a fact that snap on sells them as wells as matco. about 15 dollars for the socket. And dont try to drill out the bolt , it takes less then .05 amps to set of a air bag
yea i tried to find them at sears and didn't have them, so far this is the only place that has them next to snap on, that i know of.

<EDIT>That's what i was told by the dealership, but sence this all came up im gonna call them tomorow and find out for sure and let ya guys know. they said that they have all kind of tools.<EDIT>
Old 02-18-2004, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Kashoggio

That's why you disconnect the negative and positive cables from the battery and wait 10 minutes to remove the airbag,,,,according to my haynes manual.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:56 PM
Sin

It's not a special design exclusive to airbags. It is either called a torx security of torx tamper resitant. It is used on airbags as well as many other applications where the manufacturer wants to make it difficult for someone to remove something. I've seen these used on many machines in laboratories.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:57 PM

and you don't drill out the bolt on the airbag, you drill a hole in the torx bolt socket.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:00 PM

and you don't drill out the bolt on the airbag, you drill a hole in the torx bolt socket.
yea that's what i ment sorry, i also tried bending it and trying to break it off but that didn't work.

Quick Reply: What size Torx bolt do I need to remove the airbags?