4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replacing Driver's LH Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 09:19 PM

Replacing Driver's LH Mirror

Finally got my replacement for the driver's side mirror.

My question is--is it easy to replace, can i do it myself? it a power NON-heated mirror.

Or should i take it into the shop?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2004, 09:23 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Originally Posted by Cal0205
Finally got my replacement for the driver's side mirror.

My question is--is it easy to replace, can i do it myself? it a power NON-heated mirror.

Or should i take it into the shop?

Thanks

I dont think it would be hard, you can call Jeff at http://www.maximumtuning.net and ask him how much he charges. I am not sure if he does that kind of job. But it is worth asking.

1. Remove Door Panel

a. Remove trim around door handle

b. Remove bolts on bottom of door

c. Remove bolt from bottom of cup by the window switches

d. Remove window switches

e. Lift panel upwards

2. Remove plastic cover on inside of door covering mirror bolts.

3. Pry mirror from housing by inserting a flat screwdriver underneath the mirror and prying up.

4. Remove screws holding back of mirror housing.

5. Remove bolts on inside of door holding mirror housing to door frame.

6. Remove screws underneath mirror housing.

7. Place new side mirror shells over existing shell (do not remove backing from double sided tape yet), running the wire between the tabs closest to the door.

8. Run the new wire through the housing towards the bolts, running it through the groove on the bottom of the housing, making sure that nothing will get in the way of the mirror folding in and out.

9. Finally, poke a hole in the foam material in between the bolts where the new wires should be coming through.

10. Connect the wire to the provided plug.

11. Run extension wire down the door, inside the plastic cover to come out through the rubber grommet closest to the car, following the bundle of cables to enter the car through another rubber grommet.

12. There are three wires, red, blue and black. The black goes to ground, the blue one you need to tap into your turn signal and the red one is for constant power.

13. To tap into the turn signal, extend the blue wire through the firewall out to the turn signals. Tap into the non-black wire.

14. You can have the red wire going to a constant power source with a switch in between to have them on at all times.

14. The ground you can ground anywhere underneath the console.

15. Test the turn signals to make sure everything works.

16. Replace stock mirror, leaving just enough wire to make sure the new shell will fit on. (Test a few times before double sided tape is exposed)

17. Remove backing from double sided tape and put new shell into place.

18. Re-install mirror and door panel.

Source of this information is From http://www.custommaxima.com/LEDinstall.php.....