4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

sylvania silverstar

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 10:03 PM
DoGGy

sylvania silverstar

can anyone post pics of these on their car? im lookin forward to purchasing them.

does anyone know if they make fog lights and parkin lights too? i wanna be able to match them. if no, what comes close to the silverstars?

btw which 9004 series works on our cars?

any feedback on these lights?

Old 03-02-2004, 10:14 PM
Hooooooonda.....

9004 IS the series. ALL 9004 work. Btw forget the SS, save some money and get some cheap ebay bulbs. Many look as good and don't burn out after a year.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Big D
9004 IS the series. ALL 9004 work. Btw forget the SS, save some money and get some cheap ebay bulbs. Many look as good and don't burn out after a year.
Really? Some people swear by them
Old 03-03-2004, 12:08 AM

i buy ebay bulbs all the time cuz they're cheap, but they burn out every 6 months or so
Old 03-03-2004, 12:12 AM

i have used the same pair of silver star bulbs for over a year now. i even have them in my fogs.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by 98maxblackwind
i have used the same pair of silver star bulbs for over a year now. i even have them in my fogs.

silverstars actaully work in our fogs?!?! woot! (runs to autozone!)
Old 03-03-2004, 08:11 AM

yeah they have fogs and headlights in the silverstar line...not parking bulbs though doggy...they do have a new line out of i guess you could say "hyperwhite" bulbs of that nature (parking bulbs, dome lights, courtesy, ets.)
Old 03-03-2004, 08:13 AM
DoGGy

i couldnt find the fog light ones. can anyone post the part number or post a pic so i know what i look for? thanks alot man. if i find matching fogs and heads by silverstar line then im definetly gonna buy. i might keep parking lights lookin stock or put orange bulbs on to match the side lenses

Old 03-03-2004, 09:22 AM

they do now have the corner light bulbe 1157 i belive. the fogs ahr the h3 bulb just like stock, and the drive is 9004. if my camera worked id send you pics of what it looks loke all i can say is its a real nice blue and it ****es os eveyr one in front of me. :evilgrin:
Old 03-03-2004, 09:46 AM

i bought ebay bulbs, and they arent that good...i tried eurodesignz and they were just bad. Try the APC 9004 bulbs, they sell them at Checker. I also bought the APC cornering lights and reverse lights too, so now they all match, and i dont have two different colors up front.

Here's a pic of my max with the silverstars

Old 03-03-2004, 09:49 AM

wait i forgot my sig! sorry the fogs are still oem in that picture.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:56 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

what you need to know:

Silverstars:
1. they cost close to $50 a pair, depending on where you live.
2. the longest i had them last was 8 months.
3. they suck in the rain.
4. They start out being really white, but fade over time.
5. The "brightness" is only comparable when looking at them from outside of the car. from the inside, there is no difference.

Bluevision:
1. I bought my set for $14.99 at K-mart.
2. Last longer than silverstars.
3. Rain, snow, and everything in between: still no problem.
4. only had them in for a couple of months, but still nice and bright.
5. They look just as bright as stock from the outside, so soccer moms won't flash you every time you pass them.

Maybe if sylvania had put as much money in engineering the silverstars as they put into marketing them, they'd be worth the money.

another silverstar thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=288421
Old 03-03-2004, 11:35 AM
DoGGy

what company makes the bluevisions? philiphs?

silverstar DOES NOT make fog bulbs as far as i know. i know that sylvania makes oem replaceable fogs that look like stock but not WHITE bulbs! correct me if im wrong

Old 03-03-2004, 11:46 AM

The sylvania H3 fogs are more white than the OEM, but I don't know if they are as white as the SS. I have SS in Headlights(only $19 each, by the way.....$50 is ridiculous!), and Sylvania H3 bulbs in fogs. I am sorry, but I cannot post pics...don't have digi cam.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:49 AM
DoGGy

SS are 29.99 currently at pepboys

Old 03-03-2004, 11:56 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

I acually like high wattage APC bulbs....i bought high heat harnesses and out alkl that on my car for around $40. They were the best.....but go with hid's i will never blow money on fakies again
Old 03-03-2004, 12:05 PM

phillips makes bluevisions. And Silverstars were like $23.99 EACH when they first came out. So they're $19 now? Good, that means you'll only have to pay $40 every 5 months.

Edit: I also wanted to say that if you want the brightest bulbs, then an HID conversion or Upgraded wire harness is the way to go. However, if you work with what you have, Bluevisions are the best for overall sight. What i mean by that is that sure, silverstars look f'ing bright right out of the package. And since the look bright from the outside people assume that they are brighter from the inside. However they're roughly just as bright as stock from the inside. On top of that, on wet roads and snow, the light gets sucked right up. There were times in the rain when it seemed like only my fogs were on. Then, when comparing my car to another's that just had silverstars put in, mine were extremely dim, after only 4 months. And if all that didn't suck, add in that since the lights were brighter from the outside every other oncoming driver flashed me, or just brighted me completely because they thought i was brighting them. Then, after 5 1/2 months, the driver's side went, which resulted in almost getting a ticket in NYC, (thank god the car wasn't searched ) and then 2 months later, the passenger's side went.

Now, i'm not trying to be a d1ck, if you want the silverstars, go for it. I just don't want to see anyone make the same mistakes i did. The bluevisons are everything that the silverstars should have been, and now since they're not so bright on the outside, people don't have a problem with me driving behind them.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:21 PM

I Actually bought them last night from autozone for $19.99 each they're pretty bright. They say there 4000k. But these are actually just temps. Until I get my phillips 6000k h.I.d.'s !!! Nothing compared to a real hid set up........
Old 03-03-2004, 12:29 PM

If there is a Best Buy near you they have some blue Xenon 100/80W for 30.00 a pair I have them and they are sweet.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:41 PM

I acually like high wattage APC bulbs....i bought high heat harnesses and out alkl that on my car for around $40. They were the best.....but go with hid's i will never blow money on fakies again
I agree with the APC high wattage bulbs. they simulate 130 watt. they are good from outside the car, and inside it as well. 24.99 for the pair from checker auto. Silverstars didnt cut it for me.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by IZZYS96SE
I Actually bought them last night from autozone for $19.99 each they're pretty bright. They say there 4000k. But these are actually just temps. Until I get my phillips 6000k h.I.d.'s !!! Nothing compared to a real hid set up........

Real HIDS are roughly 4-5000 k. Anything higher than that, and it will become bluer, and then eventually purple. Look at the 8000k HID's, they're slightly white with a massive amount of purple.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:44 PM

What do you mean by "inside" and "outside" brightness? And what is it that makes a light bulb perform poorer in the rain or snow?
Old 03-03-2004, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by DoGGy
what company makes the bluevisions? philiphs?

silverstar DOES NOT make fog bulbs as far as i know. i know that sylvania makes oem replaceable fogs that look like stock but not WHITE bulbs! correct me if im wrong
silverstars are avalible in h3 the fog light bulbs. they may not be in your area yet. as i said i have them in my car now.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Doc

I currently have the SilverStars in my heads. They are real nice on dry pavement, but once a little moisture hits the pavement...lights out. I don't why it happens but they just do not light up the road when it is wet. I'm looking into a pair of PIAA Xtreme Whites. They are expensive but are supposed to be great bulbs. I wish I could afford the money some of the guys here spend because I would be going to HID's. I would love to convert my heads to projectors as well, but chaching keeps me from that, you know? Like a previous post stated, I don't want to be a **** either and rain on your parade, but you won't like these bulbs when the parade gets rained on.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:19 PM
DoGGy

Originally Posted by fearthegecko
phillips makes bluevisions. And Silverstars were like $23.99 EACH when they first came out. So they're $19 now? Good, that means you'll only have to pay $40 every 5 months.

Edit: I also wanted to say that if you want the brightest bulbs, then an HID conversion or Upgraded wire harness is the way to go. However, if you work with what you have, Bluevisions are the best for overall sight. What i mean by that is that sure, silverstars look f'ing bright right out of the package. And since the look bright from the outside people assume that they are brighter from the inside. However they're roughly just as bright as stock from the inside. On top of that, on wet roads and snow, the light gets sucked right up. There were times in the rain when it seemed like only my fogs were on. Then, when comparing my car to another's that just had silverstars put in, mine were extremely dim, after only 4 months. And if all that didn't suck, add in that since the lights were brighter from the outside every other oncoming driver flashed me, or just brighted me completely because they thought i was brighting them. Then, after 5 1/2 months, the driver's side went, which resulted in almost getting a ticket in NYC, (thank god the car wasn't searched ) and then 2 months later, the passenger's side went.

Now, i'm not trying to be a d1ck, if you want the silverstars, go for it. I just don't want to see anyone make the same mistakes i did. The bluevisons are everything that the silverstars should have been, and now since they're not so bright on the outside, people don't have a problem with me driving behind them.

i dont care about how bright they look from inside or how they work in rain. as long as they give stock light or better im fine with that. i live in cali so it never snows here and not that much rain. i just wanna get rid of the stock yellows and replace them with some cool white lights. thats all

Old 03-03-2004, 03:26 PM
Doc

They may do you right then, bro. Not sure how long they live, but I'm sure if wiring is fine they should live on. Good luck with them.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:18 PM

instead of starting another thread(and since i can't use search), i'll just post it here since it's been brought up...how much will a good HID conversion cost me? and what would i need to purchase?
Old 03-03-2004, 04:24 PM

hey would these be some good bulbs http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2463588333
or would it be worth it to get these? will they be purple at all?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2463517200 also would i be able to find fogs to match these?
Old 05-26-2004, 10:39 AM
Lightly modded

Where can I buy some H4 BlueVisions?
Old 05-27-2004, 08:56 AM

You should be able to get some from like AutoZone or somewhere local like that.

I don't boast on the Silverstars as much as I used to now that I had one blow out in less than a year. I mean, that is some crappy life span.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:09 AM

check my website for pics with silverstars. the pics are kinda crappy, but so far i like them...except in the wet weather, then i can't see crap. i also have them for the front sections in my clear corners, they are kinda clearish bulbs with a blue like reflection and tehy light up amber when i put the turn signals on.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:36 AM

silverstars arent as bright in snow or rain because the tint of the light (bluish) doesnt cut through the water very well. basically, the reasoning for lexus who uses HID's in the majority of their cars that have a blue tint, use yellow foglights, the yellow tint of the light cuts through alot more then bluish light. therefore, when i had silverstars i hated them, traded them for some nokya bulbs with a purple tint and will be getting yellow fogs soon, i dont wish for failure to see something due to lights that looked cool to be the death of the maxima.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:42 AM

You can get Silverstars from Wally-Man also for like $30 bucks or so....
Old 05-27-2004, 10:36 AM

They are actually closer to $40 for a pair, even at Walmart. I looked there too.

I would advise against them.
Look on the first few pages of the forums and do the 9004 to 9007 conversion. Then, it gives you more light output, but you can still use the OEM style bulbs what last longer and actually penetrate water and such better, as stated above.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:59 AM

I've been running the silverstars for about 5 months now. they haven't deteriorated in intensity, they are WAAAY better than my OEM bulbs. I still don't see as well in the rain, but that was the same problem with my stocks too. If you want to see well in the rain, i guess foglights would be the way to go.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:25 AM

Give them another couple of months...they will burn out and then you will move on.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:33 AM

I hear the Xtravision are the best bang for buck.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i'v been runnen Silver Stars for about 5 months now, and yes they do suck in the rain. I was thinking of installing some 80w yellow fogs in the lower grill, next to the stock ones to brighten up the road at night and in the rain. I'v found decent ones for $30 a set, it'll be a pain to drill holes under the bumper tho. we'll see
if i could do it again, i wouldn't have gotten the SS, but ebay bulbs are no better, its the color/hue of blue that makes em suck in the rain. get good quality white bulbs, not APC or half the sh*t on ebay, the APC bulbs i bought for my sister's car are complete rice
my $0.02, from an actual owner of the SS
Old 05-27-2004, 11:56 AM

I used the Xtravision and switche over the the Silverstars when they first came out. I have gone through 2 sets of the SS and have reinstalled the Xtravisions. I did not have the fading problem, but they never dild have the penetrating/distance of the Xtravisions. They also fan out more on the road immediately in fromt of you and as everyone else said, they suck in the rain. I contacted Sylvania about the burnout problem and they said basically said tuff. They don't expect them to last more than a year. Each of my sets would last approximately 11 1/2 months at which time the first bulb would go and then a month later the 2nd bulb would go. Unlike gasoline, Sylvania is not the only player in the game of bulbs. Granted, the others are a little different in appearance but they will get you through.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:38 PM

Buy PIAA's

I never really thought about it before this thread... but I bought all PIAA hyperwhites for the lights in the front, and the only ones to have gone out are the fogs. All others (including the 9004s) have lasted over two years. If they last until next fall, that'll be three. They were pretty expensive, but if they last three years, that's a damn good deal. And they look awesome.

Craig

Quick Reply: sylvania silverstar