4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Another 4th gen tranny goes down in the blaze of glory =(

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Sports Button FTW

Another 4th gen tranny goes down in the blaze of glory =(

i dont feel bad, i was prewarned and long expected this day but its like when someone u love dies, you are just never prepared...

1 hour before my hardest midterm (discrete analysis), i decide to get a quick lunch. I yield for cars, throw it in first (normal), then throw it in second and for some reason, car has a super super super slip. revs high, speedometer moves but car just rolls....i throw it in 3rd, 4th, 5th, same ****. I just changed my clutch professionally (exedy stage 1 about 2 months ago) so i dont think its clutch. My tranny has been doing some minor leaking (just on surface of tranny, not floor) for a long time and i've been hearing grinding while moving for the longest. I believe its definitely tranny but few things happened which make me wonder....

few tests i did and things i found out:

i can put car in first, second, and third gear WITHOUT holding clutch down

i can put it in ANY gear and when releasing clutch (while i'm still in one spot) car does not shut off or even hesitate the slightest bit

speedometer moves in every gear (5th gear the most)

i cant move car no matter what gear i'm in, and yes its engaging, speedometer wouldnt move otherwise.

i was prewarned that my diff bearings are shot, do these symptoms show this or something else?
Old 03-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i still got that tranny. let me know if you still want it
Old 03-03-2004, 06:32 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by slizan99
i still got that tranny. let me know if you still want it
i really would take it but price is the issue. I need to have someone install it and it will come out more than just having mine rebuilt . Unless u can work a deal with me on other stuff? PM me if u still interested in some electronics
Old 03-03-2004, 06:55 PM
Jedi Knight

sorry to hear that bruh!!....wish ya the best with it
Old 03-03-2004, 07:23 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

dude i think it could be your axles...My cousins 200sx did the same thing. Car wouldnt move, speedo when up, and his drivers side inner CV joint/axle splines were ground right off. The inner circlip was not fully seated and with his driving he prettymuch just sheared them off.... its worth looking into.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:26 PM
Sports Button FTW

hmmm, well here's two other things i evaluated

car makes a lot of air noise when clutch is not pressed down

and reverse is kind of hard to get into. i cant get in on first try anymore, and it makes extra snap noise....axles, could be...
Old 03-03-2004, 07:35 PM

seems like ur pressure plate is fucced
Old 03-03-2004, 07:56 PM

ouch man, I'd check your axles. How many miles on it?
Old 03-03-2004, 07:58 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maxima98vspec
seems like ur pressure plate is fucced
Yeah, it really sounds like a pressure plate/clutch problem more than a busted tranny.

Trannies usually die a more spectacular (sp?) death!
Old 03-03-2004, 08:28 PM

Hey Jake, you decided to sell the tranny eh? Give me a call, my guy found this thread and is expressing interest again. He'll fix your network better than i ever could for a good price : )
Old 03-03-2004, 08:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That person expressing interest is actually me. =) I've been sorta wanting to swap the transmission in my GLE. Now I am for sure I want to do it.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:14 AM
Sports Button FTW

my car has just below 150k miles. I dont see how pressure plate could be the issue unless bad install? either case, my tranny was shot anyway and needed repairing. I just had it towed to NY @ maxx tuning shop . Talk about not wasting time hehe, its 4:30 am and i finally got home, been out for 3 hours wit this slow a$$ tow truck driver . Whatever the problem is i'm sure jeff can take care of it.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

This really sounds like an axle problem. You say you can put it in gear with the clutch engaged? No grinding when you do this?

Have you been keeping up with the leak? (read: adding oil)
Old 03-04-2004, 09:44 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by sryth
This really sounds like an axle problem. You say you can put it in gear with the clutch engaged? No grinding when you do this?

Have you been keeping up with the leak? (read: adding oil)
yea exactly. I can put it in gear when clutch ISNT held down. And no i have not been adding oil. It hasnt been seriously leaking until this issue occurred. On the tow truck there was a small puddle of oil (about 7 inches across maybe?) and car was on tow truck for maybe 1 hour and a half to 2 hours? Isnt there some yellow grooove on the axle that is associated with tranny/speedometer? maybe its damaged as well? i just hope i dont have to replace entire axle. I'm begging for it to be a tranny issue and only tranny issue.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:29 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

I don't think it's the clutch. If the speedo goes up, then the tranny is moving internally. IIRC the VSS reads off a toothed wheel on the diff, so the diff is moving.

Axle. Gotta be. An axle has popped out or the splines are stripped. Hopefully the splines on the axle are stripped, not the diff...

If it is NOT an LSD, then the effect would be an immediate and total loss of drive/reverse. If it IS an LSD then you may get a little bit of drive with mucho slipping, but an LSD would be quickly overwhelmed in this situation (it's *limited* slip, not a locker) and you'll still wind up going nowhere.

I figure the worst you'll have to do is replace an axle. At best you'll pay labor for them to click the driver's side axle back into place (with a new c-clip, hopefully)

An easy test would be to remove the VSS and look in the hole at the toothed wheel. Jack up the front drivers' side wheel, and have a friend turn the wheel while you look at the toothed wheel inside the tranny. If it turns, then that axle it good. If it does not turn then the axle is either disengaged or stripped/damaged. Repeat on the other side by dropping the driver's side wheel and jacking/turning the passenger side wheel.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:33 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

Dude - you're begging for a tranny prob? You must secretly want a new tranny! Axles are about $100 each.

re: oil puddle - if the driver's side axle has popped out then you'll get oil leaking. If the passenger side axle is popped out then you have bigger problems - it's retained by the intermediate carrier bolted to the back of the block behind the PS pump...

What side was the leak on?
Old 03-04-2004, 01:16 PM
I'm so hood

My problem for a while had symptoms of after a short period of driving, my clutch pedal getting very stiff, the release point rising, and eventually the clutch would stay engaged to where it would infinitely slip.

I could put it in any gear, release the pedal, and it would continue running. Could put it in gear w/o the pedal...

well, after a laundry list of troubleshooting, it seems like replacing the master cylinder has fixed it.

JUST fyi. I mean, if there's moderate leaking...sounds like there could be other problems. But I'm just trying to offer up another slightly possible, very inexpensive (compared to a new tranny) problem to keep in mind. Has the feel in your clutch pedal changed at all?
Old 03-04-2004, 01:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I dont want to hyjack this thread.. but seems as though some in here know about these trannies..
anyone have any pics of one out of a car?
Or can take some measurments for me from one.
You can email me at car@lynoise.com.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2004, 04:12 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by Scruit
Dude - you're begging for a tranny prob? You must secretly want a new tranny! Axles are about $100 each.

re: oil puddle - if the driver's side axle has popped out then you'll get oil leaking. If the passenger side axle is popped out then you have bigger problems - it's retained by the intermediate carrier bolted to the back of the block behind the PS pump...

What side was the leak on?
ever since my clutch was changed i was told my tranny needed rebuilding. My tranny has been wet for the longest, i have haerd grinding for the longest and i have been told my diff bearing is shot for the longest. I RATHER it be the tranny and not the axle because the tranny needs to be fixed anyway. Axle problem is just ANOTHER 100 bucks i have to spend. And from what u r saying it may be the axle. I cant move in any gear. When thrown in reverse, lights come on but no movement.

And the leak has and always been coming from driver side, never the passenger side.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

When did this grinding occur? While in gear? When putting it in gear?