4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Uneveness on rear of my maxima

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 11:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Uneveness on rear of my maxima

I guess it's been there all this while, but I never really thought about it till a freind of mine with a lowered max pointed it out. From looking at the back of my maxima, the car seems to slant downward slightly towards the driver's side. I've seen it before, but I thought I was just seeing things. I'm lowered with HR and KYB AGXs. I had a similar problem with the front (the tires leaned in at the top, so I got a camber kit and that solved the problem. Should I have my shocks and springs reinstalled in the rear or should I get a camber kit for the rear? My car has been lowered for about one and a half years. It's bothering me a lot more now since I'm aware of it.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:13 PM

I also have spacers on the rear wheels. They're HR spacers but the regular type that one can get a Pep Boys. Could the fact that these are cheap spacers be the problem? I also found out that the rear is not adjustable, so there are no camber kits for the rear. Has anyone experienced this problem before?
Old 03-10-2004, 12:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My car for some reason leans to the drivers side as well. Im running on B+G springs and i dont know exactly why it does that. It really annoys me though

Eric
Old 03-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Custom User Title

Same problem here with Sprints
Old 03-10-2004, 12:47 PM

I have heard someone say that it is because if you are the only person that is typically in the car that there is an uneven distribution of weight on the suspension, The springs and shocks on the drivers side will begin to sag since the passenger side does not typically have the weight that the drivers side does.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:10 PM

Same problem here - my rear passenger side camber is at +0.7 and the range is -1.8 to -0.3 and the Toe is at +0.26 and the specified range it should be at 0.13 to 0.22
It is caused the the accident i had last winter
I've spun around on the freeway and hit the median with the rear end of the car
Body shop replaced the lateral link and control rod
and suposely the aligment was within specs ( I was on Sprints back then ) Now i'm back to stock Se springs and aligment is way off .

Right now car rides fine - but taking bumpy truns makes the rear end feel weird.

one day i will replace entire rear solid axle/torsion beam
hopefully this will solve the problem.

Nick.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by shnoog
I have heard someone say that it is because if you are the only person that is typically in the car that there is an uneven distribution of weight on the suspension, The springs and shocks on the drivers side will begin to sag since the passenger side does not typically have the weight that the drivers side does.

Thats my exact theory. Im generally the only person to ride in my car, and i drive it ALOT. About 30K miles a year.

Also, i can remember that i really didnt have anyone in my car in or around the time i lowered it, i generally ride with other friends around town trying to keep miles off the max.

Eventually if i get some new struts i wanna switch spring sides, move my passenger over to the drivers side and vice versa...

Eric
Old 03-10-2004, 03:40 PM
Always sunny in philly

i have that too and always thought I was crazy.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by shnoog
Probly the case...But I noticed the sagging to the left right after I had my suspension installed........
Old 12-27-2012, 11:54 PM

I know everyone is going to hate me for this(yeah i know i'm bringing back one from the great beyond, sorry, but i did search for the answer for a while). i have the same problem on my passenger rear. It leans lower than the driver side. I've already replaced the springs and struts with Monroe quick struts(since they are the closest to factory). new bushings all around. i also replaced my rear beam from a car that hasn't had any accidents. Only thing left to replace is the lateral rod. Does anyone for certain if this can be fixed by that or if its caused by it.
http://www.trademotion.com/parts/199...=Lateral%20rod
Old 12-28-2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Morpheus2010
I know everyone is going to hate me for this(yeah i know i'm bringing back one from the great beyond, sorry, but i did search for the answer for a while). i have the same problem on my passenger rear. It leans lower than the driver side. I've already replaced the springs and struts with Monroe quick struts(since they are the closest to factory). new bushings all around. i also replaced my rear beam from a car that hasn't had any accidents. Only thing left to replace is the lateral rod. Does anyone for certain if this can be fixed by that or if its caused by it.
http://www.trademotion.com/parts/199...=Lateral%20rod
You could have created a new thread man. But from what you did thus far, I would inspect the bushings on both part 2 and 5 from your link you provided.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:56 AM

yeah you are right, those bushings are all gone. are there after market ones for that part? I was just going to get a new lateral link(hopefully it comes with new bushings), that way i can eliminated the lateral link out of the eq(knowing its a new one). cause it may have been bent in an accident i'm not sure.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:03 AM

This thread makes me sad panda...

Why would not most cars, or at least a large number, be driving down the road all limp tire like? Unless you are obese or you got horribly flawed parts, this is not your issue.

You can replace parts all you want, but I would not until I found the cause. I would take it to an auto body shop and have them put it on the level. (If it is a decent shop they should be able to tell, by the [sub]mm, how far your car is off.) Get your alignment checked and check the geometry with the frame as a reference. From there, I would start eliminating options. No point in wasting time and money, or fixing something just to have to 'reset' the suspension after you find the real cause.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Morpheus2010
yeah you are right, those bushings are all gone. are there after market ones for that part? I was just going to get a new lateral link(hopefully it comes with new bushings), that way i can eliminated the lateral link out of the eq(knowing its a new one). cause it may have been bent in an accident i'm not sure.
Those parts are dealer only parts apparently as I have ordered them recently. They should be under $200 for both.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:37 AM

Ok everyone i finally have an answer. My car is currently at a shop for painting, the body shop noticed that my hood was rubbing everytime and no adjustment could fix it. So they determined that my chassis was off. they used a frame machine and fixed it(for FREE!). Now my hood installs properly and as a side benefit the rear unevenness is gone. So take you car to a good frame shop. If you are in Orlando i know a damn good one.
p.s. I already ordered a new lateral rod from woodmen nissan(online-$90) it comes with everything except the nuts.

Last edited by Morpheus2010; 01-15-2013 at 08:54 AM.