4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

KS replacement problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 09:39 AM

KS replacement problem

I can't get to the KS, not matter how I try, it seems my hand needs to be the size of a 5 year old, and unfortunately there aren't any that I know that could help me.

Just how in the world do you guys get your hands in there?? What do you remove beforehand? Theres that wire harness thats in the way that unscrews at the bottom, theres also a sh*t load of wires too but do all of them have to be removed to change the KS?

Is there a good complete step by step writeup with pictures of each step? If not, I'd make one if I ever figured out how to get my hand in there.

PS- I didn't unscrew the KS yet, I was just testing to make sure I can get my hand in there to see if I should even start working on it, if i couldn't i wouldn't be able to finish.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:39 AM

I had the exact same problem that green conector thats there realy doesnt let you do much but I couldnt figure out how to remove it
Old 03-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by polishpunk68
I can't get to the KS, not matter how I try, it seems my hand needs to be the size of a 5 year old, and unfortunately there aren't any that I know that could help me.

Just how in the world do you guys get your hands in there?? What do you remove beforehand? Theres that wire harness thats in the way that unscrews at the bottom, theres also a sh*t load of wires too but do all of them have to be removed to change the KS?

Is there a good complete step by step writeup with pictures of each step? If not, I'd make one if I ever figured out how to get my hand in there.

PS- I didn't unscrew the KS yet, I was just testing to make sure I can get my hand in there to see if I should even start working on it, if i couldn't i wouldn't be able to finish.
check http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/507 its not that difficult, follow those directions, shouldnt take more than 30 minutes, you need alot of light, im not sure what all those wires your talkinga bout are, thers a U-clip on the wire harness you need to remove so you can pull off teh harness, besides that just follow those directions, get exactly whats listed on motorvate.ca
Old 03-13-2004, 12:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

http://www.skippynet.com/maxima/knocksensor.htm this is also a good write up. it was a pain in the *** to get the bolt loose, but i finally got it. my hand got torn up pretty good, but it was well worth it. the car drives great now. good luck!
Old 03-13-2004, 01:13 PM

I have all those write ups, I was talking about one with a picture for each step. I'm not having a problem with getting the bolt loose or anything, just getting my hand in there, there just isn't enough room to even get half way to the KS.

Is it possible that some maximas might have more room than others? (different years for example or trims)
Old 03-13-2004, 01:20 PM

they all had same the same engine, so unless added features increased wires in the way. Guessing since you have a GXE like mine its fairly stripped, I doubt you have more wires/clearance than the average maxima has, though you could have bigger hands ...
Old 03-13-2004, 01:45 PM
V^___^V

u'll need to sneak ur way in with a 12 mm socket, follow by a pivot socket, then follow by a 3" extension, and another 3" extension, and finally a 6" extention. attach the wrench and turn it.

it is difficult to remove the KS without a pivot socket.

or u can try to take off the entire intake manifold. and work from there.
Old 03-13-2004, 05:26 PM

It's worth the money to purchase a good 12mm swivel socket. A swivel extension may not give enough room once a socket is added. I've been lucky with a high quality, short 1/4" drive swivel extension and socket, but it was close, and I was afraid it was going to break.

I now have an actual, low profile, high quality 3/8" drive 12mm swivel socket that will get the bolt out no problem when hooked to a long extension. I just get my wife to start the bolt back in place.

Good Luck!
Old 03-13-2004, 06:21 PM
KFL

I did that last week for nismos14, he had the same problem. I can do it for you if need be, I'm in roselle nj I can guarantee it. I've done two ks replacments now, the ks takes about 6min after the intake manifold has cooled down. My two tools, reversable ratchet and mini pry bar , I have no probs helping you out kfl007@comcast.net
Old 03-13-2004, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by KFL
I did that last week for nismos14, he had the same problem. I can do it for you if need be, I'm in roselle nj I can guarantee it. I've done two ks replacments now, the ks takes about 6min after the intake manifold has cooled down. My two tools, reversable ratchet and mini pry bar , I have no probs helping you out kfl007@comcast.net

Hey, wonder if you can extend that offer to me too? lol, thanks in advance, im gonna attempt it sometime this week if i fail i shall call upon yourself if its cool. thanks again.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by slammed95
Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes with a cold engine. Get a 14" ratchet extension, and a 12mm swivel socket. Put a flashlight in the gap between the timing chain cover and intake manifold. The rest is cake.

Im sure i can do it, doesnt seem too complicated. Thanks for the info guys,but damn those swivel sockets are expensive!
Old 03-13-2004, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by KFL
bit off track obvously, but i bought my car in Roselle, aah what a fine town...
Old 03-13-2004, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by KFL
I'll try it again possibly tomorrow, but I don't know how I'd get my hand in there... My gf lives in mountainside so you're very close, i'll let you know if i need your help, thanks