4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

another custom turbo setup question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2001, 08:39 PM

hey guys, this question goes out to turbo95max and ANYONE else who has knowledge of turbocharging our 4th gens.

when i first saw my tax return, i decided to get the stillen s/c, but i quickly remembered all of the V2 horror stories ive heard, and i was also more interested in the turbos ability to be "cranked up" at will, ie adjustable boost.

i really need to know what parts are needed, the size of the turbo, approx. cost for parts and labor, and anything else you can think of including max boost on stock internals, intercooler vs non intercooled (i want to have an intercooler), ect.

finally, for you S/C guys, are there really that many problems with the V2?? cuz the more i think about it, the more a turbo sounds like a LOT of money...lots of electronics involved as well as tons of labor, im thinking...oh well

i know this has probably been discussed at length before, but im getting ready to go drink so i dont feel like searching...sorry for my lameness ;(

once again thanks to all for the help. if anyone has files to email me, go for it, fresh19m@aol.com or i guess you could always use the new attach feature, huh? hehe..

thanks yall
casey
Old 03-16-2001, 11:18 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

well, if you think a custom turbo setup will be totally trouble free and realible think again. Remember you are being a test bed also so there are many things that arent tried and perfected. HOpe i can answer some questions

Size of turbo? whatever you wish! any size, combination of sizes, one HUGE turbo, hybrids, one small turbo, full ball bearing. You have soooo many choices.
A bare minimum turbo kit doesnt require much electronics, cut out boost controller, gauges, turbo timer, and you got a simple setup.
Cost on parts and labor once again depends on what parts you go with and what shop does the custom fabrication for your piping and others.
I detonated at 9-10psi of intercooled boost on 92Octane. Stock internals stock ECU. Change either one and you should be to boost up more. Remember, if you dont go with an intercooler i wouldnt recommened going over 8psi.

V2 supercharger? ive heard ALOT of people had probs with theirs, a few havent had much if any probs. Ive had the chance to work on Jane97SE's supercharger and ive found MOST of her probs was due to very very very bad install by Stillen. To this day, i think i have solved and fixed MOST of her probs. Some are still there.
wow, this is long....see ya
Old 03-17-2001, 12:13 AM

hehe i know i wouldnt be in the clear by going with a turbo but i figured hey as long as there is potential problems, might as well go with the better setup...

do you have a item list of all the parts needed to make your setup? how much boost are you running now, and have you dynod it?

well thanks for any additional help bro
casey
Old 03-18-2001, 12:43 AM

well, you wont need the same parts as me cause each setup is different from one another. Depending on if you wanted to go with intercooler, boost controller, electronics, all that will determine what you want/need for your setup. As for my setup, im using mainly Apexi electronics and Apexi gauges, HKS stuff and others. I dont really wanna go through my whole list of whatever i got on the car...
there's some stuff you should do with the IACV that i neglected to do on my setup. When i redesign stuff ill fix this prob and hopefully itll solve 1 driveability problem im having.
Old 03-18-2001, 12:57 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Turbo95Max... can I do a setup on my car too? I want to be like you!
Old 03-18-2001, 01:19 AM

my 2 pennies

turbo, t3/t4 hybrid-800$-3000$-depends on options(ball bearings)
max boost 10psi-12psi
injectors-410cc/40lb-100$ each
custom exhaust manifold-500$-depending on labor
boost controller-150(manul)-400$ (digital)
waste gate-200$-400$
custom piping-200$and up depends on labor
i/c-800$-2000$ depends on size and labor
ecu upgrade-600$ jim wolf or get piggy back for $200
high flow fuel pump-250-350$
ignition-250$ and up
custom down pipe-150-200$ depends on labor
only can run 92 octane gas or race gas if go lower u have to lower ur boost
total cost for the basic is around 2700-4650$
if going for name brand stuff talk around 5000-8000$
people say go with the supercharger from stillen with a i/c and it will run better with the v6. anyways hope this willl help u. brian
Old 03-19-2001, 10:02 AM
Matt_P

My SC has been running pretty well

I am running the V1 though.

I am pretty sure they have the kinks worked out of the V2 though.

Matt P.

Originally posted by global_threat
hey guys, this question goes out to turbo95max and ANYONE else who has knowledge of turbocharging our 4th gens.

when i first saw my tax return, i decided to get the stillen s/c, but i quickly remembered all of the V2 horror stories ive heard, and i was also more interested in the turbos ability to be "cranked up" at will, ie adjustable boost.

i really need to know what parts are needed, the size of the turbo, approx. cost for parts and labor, and anything else you can think of including max boost on stock internals, intercooler vs non intercooled (i want to have an intercooler), ect.

finally, for you S/C guys, are there really that many problems with the V2?? cuz the more i think about it, the more a turbo sounds like a LOT of money...lots of electronics involved as well as tons of labor, im thinking...oh well

i know this has probably been discussed at length before, but im getting ready to go drink so i dont feel like searching...sorry for my lameness ;(

once again thanks to all for the help. if anyone has files to email me, go for it, fresh19m@aol.com or i guess you could always use the new attach feature, huh? hehe..

thanks yall
casey

Old 03-19-2001, 10:10 AM
I'm needing a caw

Global, if you want to run a turbo, I can hook you up w/ a place that will do quality work for the custom tubing needed for the turbo(hardware) install. But like the other guy said, alot of the cost is for custom work and development work(read tuning/trial and error) If you guys have a 4-gen, I don't see why you want to re-engineer the wheel. Except for Turbo95Max, who has a hook-up for all his stuff. After you spend MORE money, there is no guarantee you will even have the SAME power as a V2 SC kit from Stealin'.
Old 03-19-2001, 11:19 AM

Re: my 2 pennies

Originally posted by hawaii_maxxed
turbo, t3/t4 hybrid-800$-3000$-depends on options(ball bearings)
max boost 10psi-12psi
injectors-410cc/40lb-100$ each
custom exhaust manifold-500$-depending on labor
boost controller-150(manul)-400$ (digital)
waste gate-200$-400$
custom piping-200$and up depends on labor
i/c-800$-2000$ depends on size and labor
ecu upgrade-600$ jim wolf or get piggy back for $200
high flow fuel pump-250-350$
ignition-250$ and up
custom down pipe-150-200$ depends on labor
only can run 92 octane gas or race gas if go lower u have to lower ur boost
total cost for the basic is around 2700-4650$
if going for name brand stuff talk around 5000-8000$
people say go with the supercharger from stillen with a i/c and it will run better with the v6. anyways hope this willl help u. brian

good info but some are a bit inflated.
Wastegate shouldnt cost you that much. The tial one i have(which i highly recommend) cost $150. Dont get a Deltagate! Even a ball bearing turbo for the Max shouldnt cost close to 2k, let alone 3k. You wont need custom exhaust manifolds, juss a custom downpipe. You dont need an ignition system either. the DIS Coil over plug system on the 4th gen Max is more then strong enough to handle boost. my fuel pump cost me $160. I dunno how much that Walbro one is but i hear lots of good things about it. Max boost will depend on you, as i stated, i detonated at around 9psi.

Hey Hawaii Maxxed....im still waiting for those specs on the turbo...thanks
Old 03-19-2001, 12:55 PM
BlkCat

I agree that you'd become a test bed for a turbo'ed 4th gen Max. Have you given Jim Wolfe Technology a call? Since they did put together a 5th gen Max recently I'm sure it can be applied to a 4th gen, albeit with some plumbing differences. Call them up and see what they have to say.

As for the V2 I'm fortunate that nothing bad has happened to me yet. This could be because I went with a speed shop experienced with plugging in Vortechs into Mustangs, etc. Everything looks solid and stable.