4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

why replace the stock intake air box with a K&N cone

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 08:17 AM

why replace the stock intake air box with a K&N cone

I see this around the org. Can someone explain what's the point in this? other than making it sound better and it does make it look nicer too though. Is there even any performance gain by doing this?
Old 03-18-2004, 08:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Noslen
I see this around the org. Can someone explain what's the point in this? other than making it sound better. Is there even any performance gain by doing this?
Yes there is a small hp increase mayby by 5 or so, it is not very pronounced in acceleration, but I do feel the car a little more aggressive. Maybe I am partially affected by the mean growl (read roar), but it is a GOOD experience.
Also I think it is a possitive thing to let your engine breathe better, especially if you feed some cold air to it.
Imagine trying to breathe through the stock filter...you wouldn't last long. And then compare that to an aftermarket cone.
Hope it helps. I am 100% certain that it is worth the few $ and small effort to install, just to experience it.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:35 AM
Who

I also calculated the surface area of the stock filter and the K&N and if I remember correctly the K&N had about or more than twice the surface area. It has been said and intake is an intake but I sure do like seeing cars pull left(we drive on the left side in Trinidad) when I stomp to pass. It quiet under normal driving but sure is fun at WOT.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:40 AM

Cone filter does not add 5 hp!
It adds a lot of sound.
It might add 1hp, if that. It is mostly for a better response of the power that you already have, if I understand it correctly.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Who
I also calculated the surface area of the stock filter and the K&N and if I remember correctly the K&N had about or more than twice the surface area. It has been said and intake is an intake but I sure do like seeing cars pull left(we drive on the left side in Trinidad) when I stomp to pass. It quiet under normal driving but sure is fun at WOT.

what is WOT???
Old 03-18-2004, 11:09 AM
Pizda Boy

WIDE OPEN THROTTLE.... When you floor the accelarator, the car goes WOT in our terms...

Sam
Old 03-18-2004, 11:56 AM
Humble '06 TL Owner

I dyno'd my Max several weeks ago with a JWT popcharger and then with the stock airbox. The results...1 whp gain with the JWT but 3 more lb-ft wtq with the stock intake. So, to me it's a wash. Now with other mods there might be a difference.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:37 PM

I would rather have the extra torque for around town. I don't need higher end stuff as much as lower end.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hack your airbox.. good to go.. my www. page 3 for a mini write up.. nice deep but nt loud growl.. and you'll still pass the smog visual..
Old 03-18-2004, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
I would rather have the extra torque for around town. I don't need higher end stuff as much as lower end.
amen. more torque now please.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Max Noob
hack your airbox.. good to go.. my www. page 3 for a mini write up.. nice deep but nt loud growl.. and you'll still pass the smog visual..
anybody have any idea what would give more power, getting the K & N filter or hacking the airbox? any opinions on which sounds better?
Old 03-18-2004, 03:25 PM

They just said if you hack airbox=3torque
If you get cone filter=maybe 1hp
Old 03-18-2004, 03:40 PM

I hacked my airbox today....

It was a pain in the a$$, but well worth it. I didn't spend a single dollar and got excellent results. The car still sounds stock at under about 3k RPM, and even so when you bring it to like 5 or so in Neutral, but wen you WOT or even just drive noramlly n hit 3k RPM... that bad boy beings to roar, and its not like a civic fart roar, its a really nice deep roar thats not to loud nor to quiet...

Very satisfied
Old 03-18-2004, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by JetBlack SE
I hacked my airbox today....

It was a pain in the a$$, but well worth it. I didn't spend a single dollar and got excellent results. The car still sounds stock at under about 3k RPM, and even so when you bring it to like 5 or so in Neutral, but wen you WOT or even just drive noramlly n hit 3k RPM... that bad boy beings to roar, and its not like a civic fart roar, its a really nice deep roar thats not to loud nor to quiet...

Very satisfied
that's awesome , i've decided i'm definitely gonna be doing that this weekend. Did you hack of the whole bottom half/side? I know some people tried different methods, like cutting circles...I might try a slight variation, just to see.
Does the car feel any better JetBlack? and which hack method did you use? do all the hacking methods require you to remove the resonator from the air scoop?
Old 03-18-2004, 04:45 PM

I followed a link from the how to page...

and cut the side of the bottom airbox that faces the fender...

i had no dremel so had to use a drill (basically made holes then destoryed everythin between teh holes and it came pretty good. i didnt touch the resonator and performace wise... it mite feel a bit more lighter on the gas... but wen u hear that roar it feels like u made an insance improvement...
Old 03-18-2004, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Noslen
I see this around the org. Can someone explain what's the point in this? other than making it sound better and it does make it look nicer too though. Is there even any performance gain by doing this?

I think the perfomance gain is not worth the price(the money, or additional noise). I took my Jim Wolf Technology intake (similar to K&N) out due to the noise, but some people like it. It does make the engine bay look nicer, but I will just keep my stock intake plumbing with a K&N panel filter.

Here is an older thread where Nealoc187 had some good gains in the 1/4 mile after installing his y-pipe , but no noticeable gains after installing an intake with the y-pipe already in place:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....+intake+y-pipe
Old 03-18-2004, 08:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

im n00b

hey im a n00b when it comes to cars.. what does it mean to hack your airbox? I KINDA have an idea.. is it the front part of the stock intake thingy.. the black thing thats attached near the front right under the hood? please dont laugh at my guess on what it is if im totally wrong.. i really have no experience with cars.. i only drive em =\
Old 03-18-2004, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by r3v0lt
hey im a n00b when it comes to cars.. what does it mean to hack your airbox? I KINDA have an idea.. is it the front part of the stock intake thingy.. the black thing thats attached near the front right under the hood? please dont laugh at my guess on what it is if im totally wrong.. i really have no experience with cars.. i only drive em =\
To hack it, is to bore it. It's the box with the metal clips that the airfilter goes in. You've now obtained enlightenment.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:07 AM

u should add a k & n panel filter to the stock intake setup if u want gains from your hacked air box.. my .02 cents..

you do not have to take out the resonators.. i recommend taking out the first one.. but the 2nd one may serve a purpose to haveing larger air volum availbible for the TB after the intake filter. imay put that on back in soon just so see if there is a difference.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:13 AM
V^___^V

also hacker air box will have better throttle response. IMO hacked air box + spaniard's custom cold ram air feeding will result the best performance. (intake sucking cold air + good throttle response = WHP)

this setup will never have to worry about smogging...
Old 03-19-2004, 01:25 AM

I think he is or was talking about a k&n drop in, not a cone filter, that wouldnt change sound. You might as well alter your intake thought, Hacked or CIA.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Max Noob
u should add a k & n panel filter to the stock intake setup if u want gains from your hacked air box.. my .02 cents..

you do not have to take out the resonators.. i recommend taking out the first one.. but the 2nd one may serve a purpose to haveing larger air volum availbible for the TB after the intake filter. imay put that on back in soon just so see if there is a difference.
so we would be switching out our stock air filter inside the box with a K and N box style filter?

And what does removing that first resonator do? It's possible to put it back easily right?

Sorry bout all the questions
Old 03-19-2004, 07:59 AM

how much is the most to pay for a k&a filter?
Old 03-19-2004, 08:01 AM

also are they universal? or gotta get one for a maxima? cuz i have one in my car but its been in there forever and prob filled with dust and leaves...i should change it out...
Old 03-19-2004, 08:01 AM

K&N i ment...sorry...
Old 03-19-2004, 01:12 PM

very easy to put back the resonator.. its jsut 2 10 mm bolts..

removing resonator will make the sounds a little deeper.. resonators were made to quiet the intake system..it also gives the intake system another hole to breath from..

i think i paid about 35 or 40 for a k&n panel filter..at a pepboys..
Old 03-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Armed and Dangerous

I would really recommend installing the cone filter over the panel filter. I know people have been saying that the power gains are not much, but I would disagree. After installing mine, I noticed in 4th gear going about 80 MPH, my engine was operating about 200-300 RPMs less than before. Correct me if I am wrong but that seems like the engine got a little more than a 1 HP gain. They could be lying, but Stillen dynoed it at a 6HP gain at the wheels. Also, the sound is really great at above 4000 RPMs (GRRRRRRRRRRR).