4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Line pressure solenoid valve assembly replaced - tranny still sick...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 05:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Line pressure solenoid valve assembly replaced - tranny still sick...

Well today i repalced the automatic transaxle solenoid valve assembly on my sick transmission - last week it started to shift really hard from 1st to 2nd , ECU gave me code 1205 (line pressure solenoid valve ) , Overdrive started to blink and the tranny control module gave me 9 short flashes and the 10th one was long which points out to the same solenoid valve.

I had it diagnosed by Nissan dealer - he found the same solenoid assembly had to be repalced for grand total of $580 parts and labor.

Well - i decided to replace the assembly myself and save some $$$ - since the part was only $140.

Friend of mine helped out and we got it changed out in about 2 hours - everything went so smooth and I learned a lot during the install.
I rested the ECU and i was full of joy about the job well done.....

Than things took wrong turn again - as soonest i got the tranny filled with ATF
i took her for test drive and to my upmost suprise the tranny was shifting even harder now - it literally shakes the entire car when goes from 1st to 2nd gear,
downshifts are rough too.

than the most unexpected thing happens - check engine light comes on again and the Over Drive is flashing again !!!!! what do i get - same 1205 code !!!!

at this point i'm stuck clueless - and i'm ready to throw towell on this tranny

what should i do? - should i bring it back to dealer and thell him that i replaced the "defecitve" part and the problem still exists and let him do it , or simply look for another tranny .

I know 5 speed swap is so tempting now but i dont have time and money to look for parts and i can't have the car down for that long.

any inputs are welcome.

Question for all people who did dropping resistor mod - how hard are the shifts with that sensor disconnected ???

the service manual shows that dropping resistor should have
11.2- 12.8 Ohms of resistance - but it doesn't tell when> with the engine on or off

thanks
Nick.

pic of solenoid valve assembly

Old 03-24-2004, 06:46 PM

Mine was only rough really during the 1 to 2 UPSHIFT. it was semi rough during the 2 to 3 and barley anythignw as felt between the 3 to 4 shift. Downshifts were just as smooth as it should be. I dont' know what to tell you man. I am sorry... call the dealer or someone that specializes in nissan trannies.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:47 PM

ok , thanks thats what i wanted to know !!!

Nick.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:56 PM

and the "funny" thing is that my 1205 code came back too!!!! ARH!! Its because of the fawkin drop resitor mod i did. I did it at the track and i guess it ****ed it off. I am so ****ed now. But the car shifts pretty decent still... i can tell a difference though and it bugs the **** out of me. Good thing that the dealer has a warranty on all that stuff. So if it continues.. back it goes!
Old 03-24-2004, 07:25 PM

i think it's not covered under warranty - it was a voluntary service campaign . click here for that TSB
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB98-049d.pdf

Nick.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:52 AM

Nick tranny swap is calling your name...

Originally Posted by nick

I know 5 speed swap is so tempting now but i dont have time and money to look for parts and i can't have the car down for that long.
If you decide to do the conversion before you transfer let me know, I will be more than happy to help out.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:11 AM

check to see if it is plugged in, did u ever do the drop resistor mod?
Old 03-25-2004, 06:09 AM

i think it's not covered under warranty - it was a voluntary service campaign . click here for that TSB

Nick.
no no... that dealer warrants thier work. So they will replace it for free.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:44 PM

sick tranny update

Well today i dropped the car off at local Nissan dealership to have it diagnosed again , well they drove it and tested it and they still have no clue why is it shifting so hard from 1st to 2nd. The tech will do line pressure test on monday to see if the pump if putting enough pressure.

I'm suspecting harness/short in the solenoid valve assembly circuit causing the ECU throw the 1205 code.

can anybody with access to search or off topic fourm copy and paste this info on 1205 code?
i would greatly appreciate it !!!
http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending

and no i never did drop resistor mod either.

Nick.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey Nick....maybe I missed it...but did you actually test the drop resistor? Just take an ohmmeter and test between the two contacts. If it's reading zero or less than spec...then there u go. Need to remove the top of the airbox to get to it. my 2 cents.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:02 PM

Well i did test it and i coun't get any readings, fact is that i wasn't sure if you are supposed to test it with the engine runing or not the factory service maual does not give directions either the Hayens or Chiltons manual.

does unplugging drop resistor throw 1205 code ???
i'm pretty sure it does
and are those shifts really hard with resistor from 1st to 2nd? than all you do is plug it back in and reset the ECU.

can't use search , can't donate either !!!!

now when you test the drop resistor do you do it with the engine off or on? also do you test the resitor itself or the two leads inside the connector that plugs into it?

testing the resistor itself was bit hard since the opening was small and getting there with ohmmeter leads is limmited - but i see your point intake must come off.

Well i will wait till monday to see what dealer says -they will run $150 stall and pressure testing - if they don't come up with reasonable solution - i'm taking the car back and i will look into installing new tranny
I just want to either confirm that this is tranny problem or electric problem

thanks again !!!

Nick
Old 03-27-2004, 09:03 AM

Damn, only $140 for the solenoids??? I called a few places and was given prices of about $500, my brother works for a Nissan dealership and he got it for about half that for me, and I thought i got a good deal!

After replacing the solenoids, my problem was still there, rough shift and 12 05 error code. I replaced the resistor and that solved the problem, it's perfect now.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:01 AM

hey thanks !!!! i will call the dealer and tell him to check the resistor before they do anything else

yes dealers have few prices for that solenoid assembly , the frist quote i got was ~$900 !!!! , than $400 and than i found the part number in on the the TSB's , Nissan came out with solenoid repair kit for $140 that includes the solenoid , tranny pan bolts and spring clip along with drain plug crush gasket
here is the part # 3190-80X25

the worst thing is that them bastards tried to sell me that one for $900 first
i told them to go and pack sand !!!!
I've searched around TSB's and found the part# for repair kit
Nissan had voluntary service campaign on it.
you can check it here:
I'm leaning towards the resitor causing the whole mess !!!

Nick.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:12 PM

Tranny is healthy again !!!!

Well after wasting over $450 along with priceless frustration and stress
my auto tranny is back to normal - it was bad drop resistor !!! a $60 part...

The dealer quietly repalced it and didn't charge me for labor - but i ended up paying $150 worth of tranny diagnostics which included pressure and stall testing.

I just wanted to thank everyone who helped out and provided suggestions
especially LudeAEM - thanks a lot

what i've learned is - when things go bad with the car - don't panic and take it easy -if it still drives - its not broke !!!

Nick.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:58 AM

No problem man. But now that you say that it was a bad drop resistor... that myabe be my problem now since i disconnected it at the track and it threw the code. Can you explain in detail what is all involved in replacing that?
Old 03-31-2004, 06:37 AM

well there are two screws holding it to the car body, remove the top portion of the air box , disconnect the resistor, slap the new one on there , plug it back in , put the screws back in and you are done !!!

make sure the new drop resistor shows 11.2 - 12.8 Ohms before you plug it back in.

Nick.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:48 AM

ok... so i guess i need to ohm test it. I will do that this weekend. I guess when i disconnected it i ****ed it off. Thanks nick
Old 03-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

well there are two screws holding it to the car body, remove the top portion of the air box , disconnect the resistor, slap the new one on there , plug it back in , put the screws back in and you are done !!!

make sure the new drop resistor shows 11.2 - 12.8 Ohms before you plug it back in.

Nick.
where did you get the new drop resistor?
Old 03-12-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by ajromanko
u can get them from a dealer or the classified on the forum i have one for sale shamless i know
Old 03-12-2011, 04:07 PM

this thread is from 04 lmao
Old 03-12-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by ajromanko
Originally Posted by gen4maxrehab
this thread is from 04 lmao
thats what neeewb dodude has one post