4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New best at the track...AGAIN!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2001, 08:40 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The weather was pretty good (50s, slight wind, sunny) so I decided to head to the track. Unfortunately everyone and their uncle decided to go to the track too My first run was pretty decent, I got a good bit of wheelspin and left it in 3rd gear. I ran a 14.82@93mph with a 2.29 60 foot. What was cool was that I took out a nice looking early 90s 5.0 coupe that frequents the dyno shop I go to (he ran a 14.9@94mph). I decide to let my car cool off for about 30 minutes. I hop back into a very long line and end up sitting there for about 1 hour waiting for track cleaning, motorcycles, junior dragsters, and Pro-Mod runs. By now my motor is pretty hot. I stage and decide to wind up to about 3800rpms and launch. I got some pretty bad wheelspin and wheelhop. I was pissed and thought for sure the spin and hop ruined my run. This time I banged 4th at 5900rpms just to experiment. I pull up to the timeslip shack and I look at the timeslip:

14.73@93.80mph with a 2.25 60 foot!!!

I about crapped my pants. I thought for sure my launch killed my run. I think shifting to 4th actually helped me out. After seeing my timeslip I called it a day. I accomplished what I wanted to do (improve by a .1)

Just for fun I corrected my et to sea level and comes out to be a 14.51@95mph.

My mods are listed below. My next performance mod will be a set of Nitto drags.

Dave
Old 03-18-2001, 09:09 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

Nice run Dave

Old 03-18-2001, 09:26 PM

yo dave b.....

nice run..

i was using that 1/4 correction thing on ur webpage..

its weird how elevation screws with your time...THAT MUCH.

so many variables..

are you getting nitto 555Rs?

my car gets no kind of traction...at the track
Old 03-19-2001, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
The weather was pretty good (50s, slight wind, sunny) so I decided to head to the track. Unfortunately everyone and their uncle decided to go to the track too My first run was pretty decent, I got a good bit of wheelspin and left it in 3rd gear. I ran a 14.82@93mph with a 2.29 60 foot. What was cool was that I took out a nice looking early 90s 5.0 coupe that frequents the dyno shop I go to (he ran a 14.9@94mph). I decide to let my car cool off for about 30 minutes. I hop back into a very long line and end up sitting there for about 1 hour waiting for track cleaning, motorcycles, junior dragsters, and Pro-Mod runs. By now my motor is pretty hot. I stage and decide to wind up to about 3800rpms and launch. I got some pretty bad wheelspin and wheelhop. I was pissed and thought for sure the spin and hop ruined my run. This time I banged 4th at 5900rpms just to experiment. I pull up to the timeslip shack and I look at the timeslip:

14.73@93.80mph with a 2.25 60 foot!!!

I about crapped my pants. I thought for sure my launch killed my run. I think shifting to 4th actually helped me out. After seeing my timeslip I called it a day. I accomplished what I wanted to do (improve by a .1)

Just for fun I corrected my et to sea level and comes out to be a 14.51@95mph.

My mods are listed below. My next performance mod will be a set of Nitto drags.

Dave
Good runs, Dave. Looks like we have to get some wheel hop in order to get some decent 60' times.
Our cars run very close times. When I ran my 14.7 (94.1), my 60' was 2.23.

I'm hoping to go back to the track very soon (before it gets too hot!)

Terry
Old 03-19-2001, 07:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You da man!
Old 03-19-2001, 07:39 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Terry-
I guess we do need a little wheelhop to reduce the torque for a split second. My 14.7 run felt like complete crap because I spun and went a little right, hit 2nd hard and got a little more hop, straightened out and kept it to the floor. I guess it was one of those strange runs where the car happens to run better than normal. My 1/8th mile mph was 75mph which is my best so far. What's crazy is that I'm getting 2.2X 60 foots (which is pretty good for my track) and I'm hole shooting a lot of musclecars who run radials. I don't know if it's my lack of torque or better driving or a combo.

bussMax95-
I'm gonna go with the Nitto drag radials. I'm not sure if they are the 555 series or not. Like I said before, make sure your struts are in good condition. This was probably the biggest reason I've improved my et's over .2 since last season. I use to have horrible squat and bounce on the launch and shifts. The weight transfer was inducing a LOT of wheelspin. Now I've got Konis in the front and KYBs in the rear. I take my Konis up to full firmness at the track and it seems to help. Lower the front tires to 25 psi or so and up the rears to 42+ psi. Pull out your spare and run 1/2-1/4 tank if gas. Try to keep your intake manifold halfway cool, either with ice of leaving the hood open. A motor runs best if the motor is warm and the intake manifold is cold. One thing you might want to get is some VHT traction compound from Summit Racing. It might help for your track. I tried it with my car, but it didn't do much because my track is covered in rubber.

Everyone else-
I think I'm on a quest to see how quick I can make a 4th gen Maxima with minimal mods. Does anyone know if anyone's run a 14.7 or better with a revised stock intake, y-pipe, B-pipe, and cat?

Dave
Old 03-19-2001, 07:48 AM

My best is a 14.78 but I forgot the exact MPH. That was at an elevation of 500 feet (Pomona). Didn't power or speed shift. Clutch slip from about 2,500 RPM. I think 14.5 is reachable if we really figure out how to drive these things.
Old 03-19-2001, 07:49 AM

Great run Dave! Congrats! You only get faster everytime you do a pass on the track.
Old 03-19-2001, 08:58 AM
mad_max_95_GLE

Re: Nice run Dave

Originally posted by Confused
Hey confused, nice mods. Was there any thing special you had to do to fit the 2000 SE muffler on your 96? And does it work the same as it does on the 2000? I read how the 2000 muffler works but I forget could you refresh my memory?

Old 03-19-2001, 10:53 AM

don't forget all the free mods i told ya about davey

only bad thing about nitto 555 r's {drag radials} is you have to heat the living **** out of them to get traction worth a crap
Old 03-19-2001, 11:58 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Bryan-

Would a set of 205/50R15 BFG drag radials be better for the money? I'll only use them for the track.

Dave
Old 03-19-2001, 01:45 PM

i would try and go for a little wider like a 215 or 225
thats just my thoughts

wider, more tread to grab. better traction

you can drive on them if you wanted too, say if you wanted to go out racing
they hook better on the street then they do the track