4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Automatic in need of mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 04:51 AM
MadMax in The City

Automatic in need of mods

Max members, I need some help. I'm a low budget owner and I want to make some changes to my simple se...CAI, y-pipe, plugs, wires, brakes...you name it I need it. First I'm thinking of the injen cai, the only thing is that I'm concerned of the sound level...to me on a five speed it would sound great but on a auto, I'm not to keen on it. If it is great gains then I would concider...what do you guys think. Also I want to do the y-pipe...which brand should I go with or does itmake a difference. Your feed back is well appreciated.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:16 AM

u should get the CAI, lots of people with autos have one, im gonna be getting one soon. I'm also getting a y pipe from budget. www.budgetexhaust.com
Old 03-26-2004, 06:00 AM

Well I haven't installed the CAI because some Max owners say it helps in low rpm and others say that in helps in the mid-upper range rpms. Since I haven't really seen any prove that convinces me that it helps on the higher rpms I haven't gone making any holes to the car and I'm just satisfied with the HAI.

But some good mods are definitely the Y-pipe and catback. Also make sure your knock sensor is good since as you all should know by now, if it's faulty your performance will decrease depending on the state of your KS.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

We have a direction ignition system to forget wires they don't exist on our cars. NGK Copper or Platinum plugs are a good start! Also change out the fuel filter.

As far as power mods, if I could do it over again I'd do this: Injen intake, y-pipe, b-pipe, UDP, muffler, and VB mod. Nitrous later down the road.

Handling mods: FSTB, RSB, shocks and springs.
-Cyrus
Old 03-26-2004, 06:38 AM
MadMax in The City

Originally Posted by WillMax95
u should get the CAI, lots of people with autos have one, im gonna be getting one soon. I'm also getting a y pipe from budget. www.budgetexhaust.com
Is there any major difference between budget y-pipe or the cattman's besides the PRICE?
Old 03-26-2004, 06:41 AM
MadMax in The City

Also is there an advantage in using the Injen CAI as apposing to the other CAI?
Old 03-26-2004, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by jamaxin97
Is there any major difference between budget y-pipe or the cattman's besides the PRICE?
Stillen ($400)
Cattman ($350)
WarpSpeed Performance ($225)
Budget ($180)

Those are the top Maxima y-pipe manufacturers. Most people will agree they will all give you the same performance gains. However where people disagree is the quality. Some feel Cattman and Stillen are exceptional quality and will last a lifetime, where Budget and WSP are cheaper and not as well built.

In the end it comes down to you preference. If you have the money to spend and want a good name and well-made part, get Stillen or Cattman. If you are a little tighter on the Budget and want a well-made part regardless of name (in my experience) go with WSP or Budget.

-Cyrus
Old 03-26-2004, 06:58 AM

Also is there an advantage in using the Injen CAI as apposing to the other CAI?
The Injen intake for our cars is not really a Cold Air Intake. It leaves the filter located behind the radiator, so the air it gets is cooler than the stock position. However ProCarParts (found on eBay) and Place Racing both make true CAI's for our car, which require cutting into the fenderwell to leave the filter there. This gets significantly colder air. The PCP one runs about $50 on eBay, and the Place Racing $200ish.

However many people for our cars are not a big fans of the CAI. Many people like the hot air intakes or hacked stock airboxes. Please so some searching around first to decide which is best for you.
-Cyrus
Old 03-26-2004, 07:03 AM
MadMax in The City

The only thing Vyrus is that I don't want to have to replace in a year or two...we've been getting a lot of snow lately. If I know I can get five years out the budget then I'll go with it. Thanks for the price list...good looking out!
Old 03-26-2004, 07:10 AM
MadMax in The City

Originally Posted by Vyrus
The Injen intake for our cars is not really a Cold Air Intake. It leaves the filter located behind the radiator, so the air it gets is cooler than the stock position. However ProCarParts (found on eBay) and Place Racing both make true CAI's for our car, which require cutting into the fenderwell to leave the filter there. This gets significantly colder air. The PCP one runs about $50 on eBay, and the Place Racing $200ish.

However many people for our cars are not a big fans of the CAI. Many people like the hot air intakes or hacked stock airboxes. Please so some searching around first to decide which is best for you.
-Cyrus
I was concerned about the sound...plus I'm hearing some guys tend to get engine vibration and irregular rpm reading
Old 03-26-2004, 07:27 AM

What is a CAI and a Y-pipe...Sorry i know this is a newbie questions, but ive only done the basic rims, drop, exhaust, intake on my car...im not that into the fixing up car thing anymore, but if the CAI or Y-pipe help HP id like to do it also....
Old 03-26-2004, 07:27 AM

ohhh ok CAI is cold air intake...ahha sorry....how about a y - pipe? what is that?
Old 03-26-2004, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by helloiamphil
ohhh ok CAI is cold air intake...ahha sorry....how about a y - pipe? what is that?
Check out the stickies and the FAQs.

try also... http://maxmods.dyndns.org/
Old 03-26-2004, 07:42 AM

jamaxin, i think you should get a budget y-pipe because it's so cheap and yet you get stainless steel so it won't rust. All you really need is a SS (considering that you live in snow), mandrel bent y-pipe and budget gives you that for the cheapest cost. Secondly, just get a CAI on ebay. It's a replica of the Place Racing which is the most popular here on the org. This will give you good gains in the low-end RPMs but you might lose high-end power. But this is where the y-pipe comes in to compromise and make up for the high-end loss. Those are the basic and cheapest (bang for the buck) mods. Trust me, go get those two for now and you'll be happy.

For the other things such as brakes, go to your local auto store and pick up a set of Raybesto Organic front brake pads. Unless you drive in lots of traffic and do hard braking then bump it up to Raybesto Ceramic brake pads. These last longer and can take more "abuse."

Go pull some codes (if you have any) and if 0304 comes up then go to ebay.com and buy a knock sensor. You should replace it because you lose a lot of HP. Read this page it tells you a lotta information on the Knock Sensor and their purpose. http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.p...33&postcount=42

this is wat a knock sensor looks like. 90 is usually the going rate for KSs but some lucky people have gotten them for cheaper. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=2468522418 make sure it's Nissan Part #22060-30P00.

Also, if you do buy that one, here are DIY instructions. So just buy the part and when you have time replace it yourself using these instructions. http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/507

As for spark plugs, go to your local auto store and pick up six NGK copper or platinum spark plugs. Use NGK only. The only difference is that coppers are cheaper but platinums last longer. So it all adds up to the same actually.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:02 AM

Any aluminized y-pipe will last you 5 years, even in snow.

Also any intake will still allow your car to run 100% properly so long as it is installed properly.

-Cyrus
Old 03-26-2004, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Vyrus
Any aluminized y-pipe will last you 5 years, even in snow.

Also any intake will still allow your car to run 100% properly so long as it is installed properly.

-Cyrus
that's true. Warpspeed does offer a 4-year no rust warranty. And I think they're still doing that Group Deal for $160 shipped, so go get that instead. But to be on the safe side I'd still get budget.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:18 AM

mods

Max members, I need some help. I'm a low budget owner and I want to make some changes to my simple se...CAI, y-pipe, plugs, wires, brakes...you name it I need it. First I'm thinking of the injen cai, the only thing is that I'm concerned of the sound level...to me on a five speed it would sound great but on a auto, I'm not to keen on it. If it is great gains then I would concider...what do you guys think. Also I want to do the y-pipe...which brand should I go with or does itmake a difference. Your feed back is well appreciated.
I'm sure this isn't the best order of what to do, but this is what i've done with my car. Had the car since October 1997. List in chronological order:
HKS Super Mega Flow hot air intake - overpriced and lost a lot of low end torque, expensive to maintain
18" wheels with 235 40 18 rubber - very good investment, much better handling
H&R and tokico drop - good investment, near stock ride, much better handling
Stillen front strut tower bar - pricey, works like any strut bar, improved hard cornering stability
Stillen cross drilled rotors and Axxis Metal Master pads - Good braking improvement, although cross drilled rotors tend to crack - mine are still ok after 3 years.
Stillen rear strut tower bar - pricey, tightened up my rear end, although some people believe its almost useless
Cattman Y-pipe - mega power gains definitely worth it
under drive pulley - power gains are worth it as long as u plan on not having a powerful aftermarket sound system
more stuff going onto it as we speak.

haven't had any major problems with any of my mods and my car has had any major mechanical or sensor problems either *knocks on wood*

if i could have gone back in time, i would have put the y-pipe on a long time ago.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:54 AM
MadMax in The City

Cyrus, Willmax95, Max_PR, helloiamphil, MaxxAddict, PeTeRtheEaTeR, and MaximaGTR34, I want to personally thank you'll for the research and suggestions. I'm going to keep you guys up to date on the upgrades...then you guys can say you'll had a part in "BabyMax97". Keep sending in your thoughts and ideas. I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Any body in the NY region knows of a good, dependable, trustworthy mechanic...let me know.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hello fellow automagician.

First things first. Before you begin modding, you should check for all mintenance items(fluid flush, filters, etc).

Make sure you have good spark plugs. Also check your Knock Sensor to see if it's working correctly.

Go to http://maxmods.dyndns.org/ and read up.

If I were you, driving an auto, working on a budget, and concerned about noise, this is what I would do.

Hacked air box(free)
High flow K&N filter. ($50)
Y-pipe($160 with GD going on RIGHT NOW)

Possibly High Flow Cat and B-pipe... if your budget allows.

STOCK or 5th Gen Muffler.

You'll look and sound quite stock, but you'll still see good gains.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:35 PM

how much does Y-Pipe installation price range from?
Old 03-26-2004, 05:52 PM
MadMax in The City

DaBombX, hacked air box...do you really feel any noticeable difference...I mean it's now taking hot air from the engine compartment.

Clark