4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Having difficulties filling-up (fuel) '99 GXE

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 12:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Having difficulties filling-up (fuel) '99 GXE

[FONT=Arial]Guys,

I'm a new member to the forum but have been lurking for the last couple of years. We have 96/99 GXE's. Both are stock. All mods go to my RX7 but that may have to change seeing what u guys have done to your cars. The Max's have never had any problems till recently when the '99 suddenly became sluggish and had hard-time going uphill. CEL light came on and came back with a few codes. Had to replace ignition coil #2 and had injectors cleaned. Car runs awesome. Going uphill has been a pleasure, car wants to keep going now. CEL is still on though. Haven't had a chance to clear codes. Still have to replace egr and knock sensor. At same time all of this is happening, it has been very difficult to fill the gas tank with fuel. It takes almost 10 minutes to fill the tank. When initially filling, it will take about $2 then starts spitting out the fuel as if the tank was over-filled. Then I have to manually fill it slowly so it won't spit out anymore gas. I'm going to buy new gas cap tomorrow and see if that remedies the problem. Wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Appreciate everyone's input on this.

JR/Northern NJ
Old 04-02-2004, 01:54 AM

bad gas cap may trip a CEL. maybe you have a clogged charcoal cannister which causes it to overflow rather than letting the tank vent? check for any emission related codes.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:30 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The tank is supposed to vent back into the fuel nozzel when you refill, not into your charcoal canaster.

You might have a kinked fuel hose fill line, it's rubber and can be seen under the left rear wheel liner. Also check to see if the little trap door just under the cap is still in place. That may have fallen out and became stuck in the fuel fill line. Mine actually broke off about a year ago and I assume is in the bottom of my tank. I've had no problems so I'm not even going to fix it unless my next M.V. inspection fails me because of that.

You can also try another gas station....