4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Drop Resistor mod recommended?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 10:44 AM

Drop Resistor mod recommended?

Anyone done this? would you recommend it? Any downfalls to it? I would think that it is harder on your tranny and it may not last as long.
I am thinking of doing it with the WOT switch.

AUS
Old 04-02-2004, 11:33 AM
Hella internets

yeah, i was wondering about this also, suposedly there is a good post in the NOS section on this...i havent checked tho..

Supposedly the best thing to do is wire it to only activate on WOT, the it is "100% safe"....as of what i have heard....it is bad on the tranny if you dont just wire it to WOT....

Suposedly this is a really noticable mod, but i dont know if wana mess up my tranny just for that hehe...i am concidering the VB mod....

any noticable differences? any specific one better? NOT NECESSARILY just because of money tho.. cause i know the DR mod is basically free....
Old 04-02-2004, 12:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sup doos. Yeah, the Drop Mod should definately be on your to do list if you're in a auto.

Pros:
It shifts real hard, real fast. You get a surge of power at every shift. I'm sure it'll knock down a couple of millisecs off of your time slips. Also, it's easy to do, if you're comfortable with wiring. Even if you're not, it's not bad at all. Finally, it's basically free, although you'll need to purchase the switch(es).

Cons:
There's a few things you should know. None of these are actual cons, but I thought they are worth mentioning.
First, you're gonna get the CEL. You might not get it all the time, but you will. I've heard that it will also go away by itself, but for me I had to reset it all the time. It was a very nagging problem that I didn't like to deal with on a day to day basis.
Second, Drop Mod shifting every time you're at WOT is a pain.
Ok, it's not a pain... just uncomfortable. I wouldn't mind "luxurious" shifting most of the time, and only drop mod shifting when I'm racing.

Of course, I'd recommend that you try it out for yourself(cuz you should) and
decided exactly how to set it up later.

Here's the write up to the Drop Mod, compliments to Jime.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=285482

FYI, this is my setup. I think it's unique only because I haven't read about it somewhere else. But I'm sure many probably have already done the same.

I have TWO switches, for two reasons. One, for the reasons that Jime mentioned, I wanted to Drop shift only when I was at WOT (obviously). Two, I didn't want to drop shift everytime I went WOT (because I like the luxurious ride).

To do this it quite simple.

I used a Normally Closed micro switch (found at radio shack) to use it with WOT
only. Jime had a bracket... I didn't. So I ended up cutting and twisting a wire from the dry cleaner's clothes hanger and used it to hold up the switch at the WOT position. I cut one of the wires leading into the resistor, and connected them to the WOT switch. (Up to this point should be exactly the same as Jime's).

At the same point I cut to connect the wires to the WOT switch, I also connected another pair of wires to a regular switch inside the cabin, which is under my control.

So again, cut one of two wires that go to the dropping resistor (we'll call the two wires that was just severed, plus side and minus side). From the plus side, take a wire to the WOT switch. Connect it to the NC terminal on the WOT switch. Take another wire and connect it to the Open terminal on the WOT switch and run the wire back to the resistor and connect it to the minus side.
Then, back from the plus side again, run another wire to the cabin switch. Connect on one side. Take another wire and connect to the other side of the cabin switch, run it back to the resistor and connect to the MINUS side.

Bascially, you have two sets of wires going from and returning to the point you originally cut the wire.

In this way, I have accomplished my goal.
By adding a second normal switch to the wire, it doesn't matter if I'm at WOT or not, the WOT switch will not have any effect because the circuit will still be closed dut to the cabin switch. When the cabin swicth if off, you still shouldn't be drop shifting because you're not at WOT.

It's only when you are at WOT AND the cabin switch is off, when you'll drop shift.

Which, is exactly what I wanted.

Sorry, I don't have pictures to load.
Ask if you've got questions but I doubt it. It's pretty simple.

Good Luck~
Old 04-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

is the primary switch in the how-to, i mean the non-WOT swtich that is the main power for the drop resistor mod
Old 04-02-2004, 02:21 PM

i didn't do anything time wise to my auto on the track. I don't reccomend it.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:19 PM

So if it didn't do anyhing timewise whats the point? Also, it is wise to get a tranny cooler with it righT?
Old 04-02-2004, 05:33 PM

The point is to save the transmission by shifting quicker thereby reducing clutch wear, not for faster times.

Its best use is for boosted higher HP cars because the more HP you put down the slower the transmission shifts, therefore wear is much higher and the DR mods helps immensely.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:54 PM
Hella internets

i thought this mod was actually Bad for the tranny?
Old 04-02-2004, 07:07 PM

<--thats why I got myself a VBmod for $250, VERY GOOD INVESTMENT!
Old 04-02-2004, 07:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mansurxk
is the primary switch in the how-to, i mean the non-WOT swtich that is the main power for the drop resistor mod
Well, there's no main power because there's no power source. We're just connecting and disconnecting the wires. It's just that you need to activate both switches in order to disconnect the wire (hence acheiving drop shift). One switch you control inside the cabin, the other is controlled by the throttle level.
With just one of the switches off(disconnected), the other wire is still be connected and therefore, you will still shift normally.

Originally Posted by sk24iam
So if it didn't do anyhing timewise whats the point? Also, it is wise to get a tranny cooler with it righT?
I don'k think a tranny cooler is required with this mod. It's not as if you're going to do this every single chance you get. Tranny coolers, I thought, were more for towing purposes.

Originally Posted by Jime
The point is to save the transmission by shifting quicker thereby reducing clutch wear, not for faster times.

Its best use is for boosted higher HP cars because the more HP you put down the slower the transmission shifts, therefore wear is much higher and the DR mods helps immensely.
Point noted Jime. Sorry people for giving incorrect info.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:54 PM

You got the goods there DaBombX.

If you go WOT a lot then the extra switch is a good idea.

For an old guy like me, I very seldom ever go WOT unless I am racing so I always want it but it is nice to be able to turn off if you really want too.

Oh it does give me faster times too, you are correct, I was just pointing out that for ME that was not really the main objective.