4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Location of EGR valve and EGR Ctrl solenoid valve?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 09:00 AM

Location of EGR valve and EGR Ctrl solenoid valve?

I am trying to find the EGR valve and EGR control solenoid valve on my 95. I have the CEL code 10-05. (EGR control solenoid valve).
A picture showing the locations would be very helpful.

How difficult are these two valves to replace? How much do they cost?
Old 04-06-2004, 09:33 AM

egr valve is located under throttle body but more the middle of the engine bay. it is goldish with a bell shape. good luck with fixing it because i had that code and that was only the beginning of things. had to change knock sensor, egr solenoid, and now i think it was actually a defective harness(not immediate but eventually so) made by nissan that was the root of all the problems.

-Michael
Old 04-06-2004, 09:48 AM

I also have this CEL code right now. I didn't have a problem until I disconnected the harness to get under the manifold. In the process I broke the green plastic connector on it. Even though I secured it good, the light still comes back after resetting the CEL.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:56 AM

Which harness are you referring to?

The irony here is that on Saturday, I completely disassembled the intake, and removed the battery and trays to clean that whole area. I put it back together, and after a few dozen miles, I got that code. Now it comes on every 10-15 miles. I am suspicious that I did something to cause the code. I completely disassembled the intake this morning and carefully installed it again, making sure everything was perfect. I drove to school/work (I work here on campus), and it hasn't been on yet. This drive is only ~4 miles though, so it could still come on later. I am hopeful but skeptical that I fixed the problem by re-installing the intake. If it's fixed though, I'll be very happy.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by white95max
Which harness are you referring to?

The irony here is that on Saturday, I completely disassembled the intake, and removed the battery and trays to clean that whole area. I put it back together, and after a few dozen miles, I got that code. Now it comes on every 10-15 miles. I am suspicious that I did something to cause the code. I completely disassembled the intake this morning and carefully installed it again, making sure everything was perfect. I drove to school/work (I work here on campus), and it hasn't been on yet. This drive is only ~4 miles though, so it could still come on later. I am hopeful but skeptical that I fixed the problem by re-installing the intake. If it's fixed though, I'll be very happy.
I was refering to the green plastic connector on the right side of the manifold. It's called the knock sensor sub-harness.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:50 PM

i got the 1005 code a couple weeks ago, i recieved help from a fellow ORGer and this how i relpaced my egr solenoid valve. the sensor is right next to the transmission fluid dipstick and is secured by 1 nut and a few hoses. start by removing the nut and the pull out the sensor. here is the tricky part, the tubes, they are a bish to get off but with some wd-40 and a lil twist and pull you should be able to get em off. then take off the harness and you should be able to replace it from there. whole thing took me bout 30 mins and im like an experienced novice.

the part cost me 85 bux and make sure it is mitsubishi. i 1st ordered a hanshin part and the harness was wrong for the 95. get the mitsubishi and make sure it is ok cause nissan hassles you about returning parts even if it is the same day. good luck with everything dude.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I also have this problem and replaced the solenoid but am still getting the light. I bought the solenoid from Nissan. Am I hearing that the solenoid might be bad or the harness might be bad? or both?
Old 04-06-2004, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tort
I also have this problem and replaced the solenoid but am still getting the light. I bought the solenoid from Nissan. Am I hearing that the solenoid might be bad or the harness might be bad? or both?
i hope it isnt the harness i bet those a a bish to replace. i remember there is a way to check your harness if it works. maybe someone can jump in and help u out. did u remember to reset the ecu after changing the part.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have reset the ECU numerous times since replacement, I also get the code A/T Control Unit and sometimes Speed sensor. The light always comes on within 30 seconds of starting the car. I tried swapping my ECU out to my friends 95 and he was getting like 12 different codes which included the ones that I was getting. I think I may try putting his ECU in my car, there is no difference between 95/96 ECU's right?