4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Regarding the whole SVT Contour versus Maxima thing...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2001, 02:28 PM
cjbaldw

OK, this is my first post here so go easy on me guys...

In short, the Maxima is a VERY nice car overall. I've always liked them, and I've always liked Nissan products in general. I bought my 99 SVT Contour b/c I needed four doors and half way decent legroom in the back, b/c I have three kids. (Yeah, I also own a minivan... ) In general, I don't like to see my car all over the place every time I take a drive somewhere. That's just me. Maximas are all over the place, everywhere, and no one here can really say otherwise. And Nissan has never chosen to hop up any of their cars with the exception of the SE-R models in limited production capacities, as SVT does every year. So, I went with the SVT, and yes, I worry about longevity, quality (the squeaks and rattles are unnerving at times - especially in cold weather!), and reliability all the time. I currently have 47k on the odo and no serious problems so far, and I'm out of warranty right now, so here's to knocking on wood that the status stays quo...

The V6 in the Maxima is one of the best built V6's in the world, bar none. The Duratec series of engines in the Contour's, Taurus's, Escape's, Mazda MPV's, etc., is a relatively young design and has yet to prove itself over the 10-15 years that Nissan has already proven the Maxima V6's (in all their forms over the years) to be reliable and cost effective. Ford has only recently started to move all their engines to the new modular formats (Duratec, Zetec, Triton, etc.), so to me at least, it remains to be seen whether Ford can deliver the quality that most Jap manufacturer's have already proven they can deliver.

Jap engines are built to much closer specs/tolerances than most American engines. Hopefully Ford is trying to change this, but once again we're all gonna have to sit back and wait and see.

I'm hoping to keep this SVT for quite a while, however I've had my eye on the upcoming Sentra SE-R Spec-V coming out this fall, and it looks pretty good so far. It has many of the same qualities that the SVT Contour has IMHO.

Now, to get to the subject at hand, performance between the SVT Contour and the Maximas! The Max's have quite a bit more torque across the band than the 2.5L Duratec V6's do, after all, Max's have .5L more displacment to play with, and they use it well. The newest Max's have 222HP/217TQ? to play with, and with the 5-speed trannies they are REAL quick for their size. Best I could do is just keep up with them. The older models (170/190HP ??TQ) are easier to keep up with obviously, but it's always a driver's game, and IMHO with the extra TQ down low the Max will ALWAYS have an advantage, it's just plain easier to get off the line. The SVT Duratec V6 is a high revving engine, which means I gotta get up high real quick or I'm dead in the water, and from a stop that makes it harder for me to stay even with you guys. Notice I said harder, not impossible. If I get a good jump off the line and stay on it, then I should stay right even with most Maximas (the newest one's excluded for the most part, although it's possible driver dependent).

Overall the SVT is a touring car, it excels at high speeds, and the suspension is set up for just that. Road racing against a Maxima would be much more interesting than street racing IMHO.

BTW, I'm in Bear, about an hour south of Phili if anyone lives nearby and would like to help me prove my statements...

Later guys...

Old 03-21-2001, 12:38 PM
Micah

Ok, For everyone who thought I was a troll. Here ya go. this vid is of my car from 40-115mph. I am in the 14.7 to 14.9 1/4mile with a non svt.

http://www.primelink1.net/~trudell/lightenflywheel.mpg

anyone wanna race?

upstate NY here

Micah

Old 03-21-2001, 12:49 PM

cjbaldw-

Nicely said, it's good to see that some people can still take cars in perspective and see the good points of even their competitors. Whether you can beat me or not really doesn't concern me, I didn't buy this hoping for a race car, I bought it since I was looking for a nice, somewhat sporty (I have an SE 5-speed), 4-door, practical car. Enjoy your care, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who appreciates your open-mindedness.
Old 03-21-2001, 01:20 PM

some maxima's can do that stock. Nice try thow. keep saying to yourself i can do it, i can do it, i think i can, i think i can. Just then maybye you can talk S h i t to us.
Old 03-21-2001, 01:28 PM
Micah

But retard, you got to rememeber one thing. I have a non svt contour that comes with 170hp at the crack, so some maxima's can do that stock huh? good for them they have 222hp I hope they can do something decent. there is a svt contour on our site that can do 14.7 stock. whats your point? find a 97 maxima for 13k in 98. add $500 worth of mods and race me, I dare you. even thought I know it isnt possible I would love to do it. thats what I did I found a non svt in 98 bought it for 13k (97) added 500 worth of mods and pull a 14.7 14.9 all day long. I challenge you to do the same..

Micah

Originally posted by TAGURIT
some maxima's can do that stock. Nice try thow. keep saying to yourself i can do it, i can do it, i think i can, i think i can. Just then maybye you can talk S h i t to us.

Old 03-21-2001, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Its going to be really hard to gain respect around here with your signature.. just a friendly observation.. especially when you are running 14.7 and you consider yourself a Maxima Killer.. most of the modded maxima's here do 14.7 or better..

just my $.02

Originally posted by Micah
But retard, you got to rememeber one thing. I have a non svt contour that comes with 170hp at the crack, so some maxima's can do that stock huh? good for them they have 222hp I hope they can do something decent. there is a svt contour on our site that can do 14.7 stock. whats your point? find a 97 maxima for 13k in 98. add $500 worth of mods and race me, I dare you. even thought I know it isnt possible I would love to do it. thats what I did I found a non svt in 98 bought it for 13k (97) added 500 worth of mods and pull a 14.7 14.9 all day long. I challenge you to do the same..

Micah

Old 03-21-2001, 01:37 PM

btw, the VQ engine in the '95+ Maximas are new engines too and debuted in '95. They aren't 10-12 years old. They are totally different from the VE/VG engine used in the previous Maximas ( <'95 ).

The '95-'99 Maxima's have 190hp and 207lb/ft. You are in the 4th Gen forum which is based on these Maximas, not the 222hp/217lb.ft Maximas which some of you are talking about.

The 190hp Maximas also do 14.7s and one has even done 14.3s all motor.

Either way, both (Contours SVT & Maximas) are good cars. Is the Contour SVT the successor to the Taurus SHO??
Old 03-21-2001, 01:46 PM

who's the retard, it's crank not the "crack" your smoking. Anywayz you think your all hard with your found on road dead car(ford). I could go on swearing my *** off but i have respect for where i'm a member of . you have the nerve to talk smack about maxima's on it's own board and btw this a 4th gen fourm so i'm not even taking about the 5th gen beating your ***.5th gens running mid to low 14's it's not even worth mentioning.
Old 03-21-2001, 02:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

anyone know where that guy is from, can go show him a good time at the track
and what that video suppose to say, my car can go 115 also, but defently can go alot higher
Old 03-21-2001, 02:35 PM

Come on, guys!

Originally posted by TAGURIT
who's the retard, it's crank not the "crack" your smoking. Anywayz you think your all hard with your found on road dead car(ford). I could go on swearing my *** off but i have respect for where i'm a member of . you have the nerve to talk smack about maxima's on it's own board and btw this a 4th gen fourm so i'm not even taking about the 5th gen beating your ***.5th gens running mid to low 14's it's not even worth mentioning.
Let's try to keep the name calling to a minimum, can we? If we find time to visit internet forums, that makes all of us enthusiasts...

I raced with two SVT's last weekend at a BMW Lone Star Chapter autocrss, and they both turned in better times than me around the cones and curves (101 secs vs. 98 secs.), but I had them good on the acceleration.

In autocross, similar to street racing, driver counts more than anything. Come on, guys! A Plymouth Neon turned in a lap time of 92sec! Does that make a Neon better cars than a Contour or a Maxima? Does that mean somebody from neon board should go to the Contour board and Maxima board to give everybody hell?

Also, if you want to compare 1/4 mile time on a strip, make sure comparisons are made apple-to-apple and orange-to-orange. Don't be comparing a normally-aspirated Contour to a Stillen-supercharged Maxima, and don't compare a normally aspirated Maxima to a SVT Contour GT/SC/NOS/whatever-else....

We appreciate all intelligent posters.
Old 03-21-2001, 03:08 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Micah-
You run 14.7-14.9? Hmmmm...sounds to me like you've NEVER been to the track. Mind giving me a run down of your stats and which track you run at?

The Contour is not a lightweight car. It is much smaller than the 95-99 Maxima yet weighs the same (~3050 lbs). You guys are running a smaller 2.5 that makes a lot of topend power. Well guess what, I'm friends with you beloved SVT crew. Ever here of Merlin, OutlawdSVT, or PhatSVT (SC'd SVT)? I witnessed 6 SVTs on the dyno with various mods. The Vortech SVT put down 255fwhp and 193 fwtq. The other SVTs put down 153-162fwhp and 148-155fwtq. Then we strapped my Maxima on the dyno and I proceded to put down about 175 fwhp and 194 fwtq. Hmmmm....tell me who's gonna win (not including the SC SVT). I was the quickest out of the group by a long shot according to everyone's timeslips (they were running 15.3-15.6 at KCIR).

BTW, this is in no way a flame to any SVT owner. I'm just calling it as it is.

Dave
Old 03-22-2001, 07:00 AM
is invisible

It's not the roadkill that starts the flames...

or the fact that one car beat another...it's the immature flaming posts by those here who think the Maxima is the ultimate car. Micah is no different...just happens to own a Contour.

See how this BBS will react to an ///M5 owner laying the smackdown on a Max and coming to boast it.

btw, 14.7...nice run.
Old 03-22-2001, 07:48 AM

Fixed Or Repaired Daily!!

I have a friend of mine that has an SVT Contour and My girlfriends dad that has two SHOs. The beefed up 92 5-speed SHO will give me a run for my money but the auto SHO and the SVT I will smoke the **** out of. Where are you Micah I would love to see your none SVT contour smoke me even with your $500 dollar mods. I will meet you anytime anywhere and smoke your *** so get off the Maxima board and go find a regular Contour none SVT board to say how much of a bad *** you are. Oh not to mention the fact that my girlfriends dad had an SVT Lightning that was phat so no I don't have that much beef against Fords just regular, (none SVT Fords,,,,
Fixed Or Repaired Daily
Fu=ker Only Runs Downhill
Old 03-22-2001, 08:16 AM
cjbaldw

Originally posted by mAdD MAX
btw, the VQ engine in the '95+ Maximas are new engines too and debuted in '95. They aren't 10-12 years old. They are totally different from the VE/VG engine used in the previous Maximas ( <'95 ).

The '95-'99 Maxima's have 190hp and 207lb/ft. You are in the 4th Gen forum which is based on these Maximas, not the 222hp/217lb.ft Maximas which some of you are talking about.

The 190hp Maximas also do 14.7s and one has even done 14.3s all motor.

Either way, both (Contours SVT & Maximas) are good cars. Is the Contour SVT the successor to the Taurus SHO??
Yeah, I know that Nissan re-engineered the VQ series, just as they are re-engineering the QR? series for the new SE-R Sentras. My point isn't that the engines are the same, as I know they are not, but Nissan's basic engineering principles have held sound for a long period of time when it comes to building reliable, relatively bulletproof engines (read overbuilt engines). Ford has yet to do this with their modular engines, or is still in the beginning stages in comparison to Nissan.

I'm aware I'm in the 4th generation forum as well, which is why in my original post I attempted to differentiate between the 2k and pre 2k models, b/c I know the newest revision of the Max is quite different than it's predecessors in many respects, especially the 222HP V6.

In regard to your question about the Contour SVT being the successor to the Taurus SHO. Yes and no. The SHO's are a joint venture between FMC (Ford Motor Co) and Yamaha. Yamaha has always built and designed the engines in all of the SHO's. SVT has no relationship with Yamaha to my knowledge, so from this perspective they are not related in the least. Up until 96, the SHO engines were high revving V6's (220HP w/5spd, 230HP autos), post 96, I think up until 99, the SHO's used 3.5L V8's w/230HP, auto tranny only. The newer SHO's were noticeably slower than the old b/c of the deletion of the manual tranny as an option in 96 and newer SHO's. It does seem coincidental that the SVT Contour started production in early 97 as a 98 model year car and shortly thereafter the SHO model disappeared from the ranks, but now the SVT Contour has also disappeared from the ranks, so it's my vote that it was just coincidence. Presently, you cannot buy a SHO Taurus or SVT Contour , tis a shame...

Later guys...

Old 03-22-2001, 08:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by cjbaldw

BTW, I'm in Bear, about an hour south of Phili if anyone lives nearby and would like to help me prove my statements...

Later guys...
Thanks for being one of the "good" guys. Every forum has the hot heads, so finding a true enthusiast is great. I live NW of Philly, but work near King of Prussia. Maybe the next time we have a meet, you should come up. I don't have too many mods plus it's an auto, but we could do a little test run to see how the cars compare.
Old 03-22-2001, 08:24 AM
The missing moderator

This is going to be locked too. All these posts leads to are flames.

Look people... have an open mind, if you've never driven or owned one... just cause you beat 1, one, uno, single, singular, doesn't make that particular car a POS. KEEP IT IN PERSPECTIVE!

The Maxima is not God's give to the 4 door sports sedan world, NOT EVEN close... the M5 is. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice car, but let's not let our heads get too big. A lot of you guys flame the Civic guys because they thing they can beat anything, well take a step back, many here are doing the same thing.

So keep it real.

-Shing