4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

rear brake cable question....

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 07:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

rear brake cable question....

I brought my car to the stealership for a general checkup and they had mentioned that I need to replace the cable that connects the emergency brake with the rear caliper for the low low price of about $500. This was one of four items that they recommended.

I'm no professional mechanic, but I've NEVER heard of replacing that cable and I rarely use it. They had mentioned that if I don't replace it, it could cause the back calipers to clamp onto the rotor. Could this happen???

Just checking!
Old 04-20-2004, 07:48 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Morons. I don't see how it could seize the rear calipers. That would only be possible if the e-brake was pulled the whole time meaning you'd be driving with the rear brakes engaged all the time. Can't you look under the car yourself? If you pull the e-brake and your car slows, it's fine.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:57 PM

Thanks!

Thanks! That is what I thought but I wanted to make sure. The e-brake works fine.

Ironically, I just got an 0705 code: EVAP Control System

I guess I'll take a look at that over the weekend! Thanks for the quick response!
Old 04-21-2004, 08:40 AM

A stuck ebrake cable can freeze a caliper.

How? Like this:

The ebrake lever on the caliper, when used, adjusts the piston, pushing it forward, to take up the slack from the pads getting thinner as they wear. There is a ratchet and a cam mechanism in the Maxima's rear caliper that does this.
If the ebrake is not working properly, it will not push the piston out, and will leave it in the same position. It may eventually seize.

After I bought my Max, I realized a few months later the ebrake was seized on one side. Guess what: the caliper on that same side was also seized. I ended up replacing the cable, the caliper, both rotors because that one side was rusted by not having the pads wearing/ grinding out the rust from the rotors, and of course new pads.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:29 AM

interesting info about the cable...

So if I were to check the cable, what should I be looking for? I was under the assumption that if the cable was damaged, then it might cause a problem but not because of it's age.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:30 AM

Rust will eventually seize the cable. The Max are unfamous for the ebrake cable getting pinched by garage's lift pods, (because of their bad location by design) , therefore cutting the sleeve, and eventually letting water penetrate between the sleeve and the cable.

I suggest you take the rear wheels off and try to active the ebrake lever attached to the caliper, with your hand or with a wrench. It should move with moderate pressure, and should go back to it's original position when released. Next, ask a helper to pull and release the ebrake handle inside the car while you are watching the same lever at the caliper. It should move freely as release as well.

Good luck! Let us know what you found.