4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How to: make your clearance lights brighter (with pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 01:28 PM

How to: make your clearance lights brighter (with pics!)

This is a nice free mod but i found this a pain to do without a pic, so i did my own writeup. Hope this helps. Btw, if you break stuff, its your own damn fault

Tools:
Phillips head screwdriver
flathead screwdriver
nail clippers
electrical tape

1) Remove the clearance light. This is the hardest part of the entire process. Do it in the sun, so you can see better. Pop the hood and take out that one screw holding in the clearance light. Get a grip of the light on the edge closest to the headlight, and pull it, with flathead screwdriver at the ready. Look into the gap, near the bottom, find the ball and socket joint holding the light in.

It looks like this:

Using the flathead, twist and pry the joint apart. It’s a real pain the first time. Take the light out and unclip it.

2) Remove the bulb holder from the housing with a twist. There are instructions right on the holder. :P Then twist the bulb out of the holder.

3) Look on the sides of the bulb. You should see two nubs. Snip off the one CLOSEST TO THE BULB with the nail clippers.

4) Get a piece of electrical tape and wrap the spot where the old nub was, once around. The tape is so that the bulb fits in snug. It should be above, and not touch the other nub, or it might not work.

5) Look at the bulb socket. There’s one notch for the higher nub and one for the lower nub. We want the lower (existing) nub to go into the HIGHER notch. Make sure you twist it to lock it tight.

6) Done deal. Plug the clearance light back in, and flip on your lights to make sure it worked. If it didn’t, go back and make sure you did everything right. If it turns on, you’re done! Put everything back together and enjoy.
Old 04-24-2004, 02:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice. Will this work for the 3rd gens?
Old 04-24-2004, 06:06 PM

3rd gens have clearance lights that automatically get brighter when you turn on your turn signal.

Yes it will always keep them bright if you do this.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:37 AM

Read your write up on how to do this mod at 1:20am, walk to the garage with nail clippers & electrical tape in hand. Here it is 1:30am & the mod is complete. I didn't even have to take out the corner assembly, just took out the bulbs from under the hood & man is that a big difference in brightness. It has to be twice as bright as stock. Now I just need to find some bulb's to match the hyperwhite headlights alittle better. I have the blue hyperwhites bulbs in the corners now, but they still kick that orangish color, kind of light how they look in your picture posted above. Simple mod, big difference. Good job!!!
Old 06-07-2004, 04:49 AM
dot dot dot ...

Old 06-07-2004, 08:55 AM
Hooooooonda.....

Are people on the ORG so slow that they need directions on how to use nail clippers? REPOST.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by crappopotamus

Man I really don't want to burst your bubble but this is nothing new. This is a been there done that with a write-up.

Here's a link to some other mods ands DIY from VQpower.com. VQpower DIY's
Old 06-07-2004, 01:13 PM

Sorry for disturbing the flow of the org. But I never thought giving prop's was a bad thing. Most of the time i'd say f-ing with the electrical system is not a good idea, but I decided to be risky & finally do the mod.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:58 PM

already in more than 1 STICKY
Old 10-09-2004, 01:12 PM

just did this mod....i like
Old 10-09-2004, 01:54 PM

Wow, great!!!
Old 10-09-2004, 02:12 PM

great info.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:17 PM

will it warp the housing or not?
Old 10-09-2004, 02:35 PM

i had mine done for awhile with the eurolite bulbs and for some reason one side is bluer than the other why is that? there both the same bulb and i did the mod to both bulbs
Old 10-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Maxima's hate rice, I mean blue bulbs.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:10 AM

This will melt your housings or wiring eventually.
It is not meant to run at that wattage.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:05 AM

both my corner lens have a long crack in them now. and i only did this mod about 6 months ago.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
This will melt your housings or wiring eventually.
It is not meant to run at that wattage.
Really? So this thread is basically pointless? Anybody who regretted doing this mod?

Don't mean to trip, but certain stuff has to go through some Quality Control process and either work or not.

Does this eliminate the funcionality of the cornering light or does it light even BRIGHTER when the turning signal is on with the heads on?

Old 10-20-2004, 06:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

ive had mine for a really long time and im still good.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:47 PM

my dad's and mine are fine after a year we both had polargs but now have regular amber.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:01 PM

Get some 1175 LED's and do the mod. You will be happier. I did mine with superwhites and they look phenomenal.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:08 PM
Team Ramrod

one of mine got brighter... but only cuz the bulb **** itself
Old 10-20-2004, 10:22 PM

I did mine in march. the lenses cracked up and one of them has a pretty big hole now. everytime it rains, it fills up with water. I had to buy a new corner light. anyway..."Get some 1175 LED's and do the mod. You will be happier. I did mine with superwhites and they look phenomenal." maximabebe, did you have to rewire the corner light wires so that it is compatible with LED's? i know for the signal lights, you need the conversion wiring.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:09 AM

No, I hooked up with Superbrightleds.com and they make all automotive LED replacement bulbs in 12V. Plug and play bro....no modifications necessary to make them fire up in the max. Good luck ... I'll post pics of mine soon.

Oh, by the way, I even snipped off the upper nub on the 1157 LED's and installed it reverse....now its REALLY superwhite. Looks good with some HID's.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:31 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

when I use my turn signals, the clearance light (next to headlight and direction i am turning) will become brighter. So if I do this, it will be just as bright as that?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:49 AM
Hooooooonda.....

Yes. The 95-96 max have that feature. BTW, the lens won't melt if you rewire them, if anything he bulbs' outside film will wear off before there is even any cracks or buns.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:54 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

damn i think i am going to buy a full set of clearance, side, and blinker bulbs from superled... any drawbacks from getting LED bulbs rather than PIAA bulbs or somethin like that? I keep reading that it's hard to match color on all those lights.. but i think LEDs should match up alot better.

what do you guys think? i need some opinions before i spent about 50 bucks on LEDs lol

these bulbs they have posted there with narrow, w/ side angle lighting and all these things might look good on CEFIROs... what were the type of bulbs in the sides/blinkers? 1157 for the clearance... 194 for daytime running... how about dome and map light? i would do a search but i'm sittin in the library and im sure it will take forever and then some to find out. thanks
Old 10-21-2004, 10:18 AM
Hooooooonda.....

I wouldn't. LEDs looks pretty lame in the front lights, unless they are custom made. LED bulbs, even the ones with 9 or 10 LEDs in a bulb, have spot lights. They just don't look good at all.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:51 AM
sachmo12345

glad i just read it isnt good cus i was about to go outside and do it

Old 10-21-2004, 11:53 AM
Sittin' On Chrome

yeah, it's cool for a while, but then you get small hairline cracks in the lenses. i ended up just unhooking those lights.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:53 AM

Where exactly do you get the LED bulbs? Also I've seen some cars on this forum that have tailights with LEDs in em, do you have to mod it yourself... or is there a site that sells the tail lamps with the LEDs built in?...
Old 01-12-2005, 08:01 AM

anyone got pics of the LED mod so a comparison can be done? In the end though it seems the LED mod is the "correct" way to mod the lights
Old 01-14-2005, 07:14 AM

So I take it we come to the conclusion that this modifaction (snipping nubs/wires) will only make things worst later on down the road correct?
Old 01-14-2005, 08:12 AM

The problem of melting the housing is usually caused by those that are lighting both filaments and not just the brighter one. This causes excess heat that will melt the housing over time. It is recommended that you do this mod the right way by unsoldering the power wire from the socket and soldering it back on to the end that powers the second filament. I have done it this way for close to 2 years without any problems. For those of you who are not willing to solder but don't want to do the ghetto bulb clip, you still have another option. The newer euro clear corners have been manufactured in a way so that you can manually disconnect the power wire on the socket and swap it to the other side that powers the 2nd/brighter filament. No need to solder and takes all of 1 minute to do both sides plus you have better looking corners to show for it. Here is an example of what my euro corners looks like being powered by only the 2nd filament. Hope this helps you make your decision on whether or not to perform this mod. Good luck to you.

Old 01-14-2005, 02:19 PM

[QUOTE=meanbean]The problem of melting the housing is usually caused by those that are lighting both filaments and not just the brighter one. This causes excess heat that will melt the housing over time. It is recommended that you do this mod the right way by unsoldering the power wire from the socket and soldering it back on to the end that powers the second filament. I have done it this way for close to 2 years without any problems. For those of you who are not willing to solder but don't want to do the ghetto bulb clip, you still have another option. The newer euro clear corners have been manufactured in a way so that you can manually disconnect the power wire on the socket and swap it to the other side that powers the 2nd/brighter filament. No need to solder and takes all of 1 minute to do both sides plus you have better looking corners to show for it. Here is an example of what my euro corners looks like being powered by only the 2nd filament. Hope this helps you make your decision on whether or not to perform this mod. Good luck to you.

So basically it'll work just as long as we pick the right wire to snip off and then switch the "nubs"... am I getting this right?... Or do we snip both nubs and only use the "brighter" 1 filament to be supplied with power?
Old 01-15-2005, 01:37 AM

By snip off you meant unsolder right? If so, then the answer is yes. You are basically relocating/connecting the power wire to the other "nub" to power the 2nd/brighter filament instead of the 1st/dimmer filament. If you decide to get the euro clear corners then there is no snipping/soldering needed. I got mine from Pro Car Parts when they first came out but they are now widely available through other vendors.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:39 AM

I did this mod twice and after a few months, one of the bulbs went out. Now I just have my headlights and fogs, nothing else.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by meanbean
By snip off you meant unsolder right? If so, then the answer is yes. You are basically relocating/connecting the power wire to the other "nub" to power the 2nd/brighter filament instead of the 1st/dimmer filament. If you decide to get the euro clear corners then there is no snipping/soldering needed. I got mine from Pro Car Parts when they first came out but they are now widely available through other vendors.
Too bad Inifiniti I30 97's dont have euro/clear/jdm styles for any of their lamps other than the Headlamps from Asia.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:15 PM

whoa i got pulled over in Atlanta,Ga last yr for having bright corner lights. Cop gave me a warning
Old 01-15-2005, 05:53 PM

yeah, it's definetely "ooh, ahhh, whoa" for a short period of time for most of us, including myself.... then you end up having one lit and the other burned out. I wouldn't recommend this mod unless you want to spend the $$ on bulbs.
I just have my headlights (hyper whites) and my fogs (stock) running, and nothing else.

Quick Reply: How to: make your clearance lights brighter (with pics!)