4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Question for Someone with Good Painting Skills

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Question for Someone with Good Painting Skills

I have 2 projects going:

1. I shaved off the MAXIMA and GLE emblems (they were peeling and looked like ****) and wanted to paint them black. I started last night, put about 6 coats of black (99 cent paint from walmart). I waited about 20 minutes between each and dried it with a hairdryer in between. Left overnight and when I picked them up, after squeezing them I would leave fingerprints on the paint. It didn't feel right either, it was softish (not sandable).

2. I have black altezzas with a chrome ring around the edges, and want to paint them black (skyline-like) with circles left for the actual lights.

Since the emblem painting didn't go too well, I wanted to get good advice on how to go about this painting project. Please be specific, like:
- what paint is good and which one to avoid
- how long to wait in between coats
- how many coats
- primer or not, etc

Big thanks to anyone who can help me out
Old 04-26-2004, 01:01 PM

I think your problem with the emblems is that you didn't sand them down. Did you? I mean, it doesn't sound like you did, and the paint didn't have anything to stick to.
Also, you probably need more coats of paint, and even if they are dry enough to paint another coat over them, they are probably not good to touch for about a day or more.

As far as the altezzas, I have no idea.
Good luck.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I did sand them. I used a knife to scrape left over chrome coating and sanded them. It isn't that the paint is loose on the omblems and moves around, but that it felt soft.
I haven't done much painting in the past, and I am not a patient man. So I didn't know how long do you wait in between coats, how many to apply and how long do you wait after the final coat was applied.
I wanted to sand them with a 400 paper before the clear coat, but I again I don't know the length of time you need to allow to dry.
I hate waiting, I wish there was a quicker way to do it, so I used a hairdryer.
Thanks for the reply bru, someone alse help please. Emblems are no big deal, but I don't wanna screw up with the tail lights.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:08 AM

Well, all I can tell you is that you have to read the specs on whatever paint you bought. Every paint is different on the amount of time that you have to let it sit before you can add another coat.
Read carefully, and then follow exactly like it says. The thing with paint is you have to be patient with it all the time if you want it to look good.