4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Drop Resistor Button

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 09:12 AM
LIMaxin

Drop Resistor Button

Is there any power going through the drop resistor? As of now i have a regular button which disconnects the circuit, but i want to install a button with a light inside it and i'm not certain if there is any power flowing through it in order for the light in the button to get power.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:30 AM

I think it would be best to use another power source, adding a light into the circuit will be like adding a resistor, so it could have some undesired effect.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:59 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Mine has a lighted switch and it works fine. I'm not sure if it makes the stock shift setting harder because I don't remember how harsh it was. ch13f's reasoning makes sense though. So, it may be a little harsher with it on but not much. Harsh the stock still makes a huge difference.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:12 PM

prolly just grab a voltmeter and run it across the led, that would be your best bet to see what you are getting into there
Old 04-27-2004, 02:11 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I don't how much power is goin through the wires but I do know it will not change the operation of the DR. I know this because you are disconnecting the thing entirely so the tranny wont know the difference. Think of it this way, if you have a power wire going to an amplifire but you disconnect it and make it power a light bulb, your amp wont see any current, so it wont matter to the amp.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:47 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Maxima10to1, I'm not understanding your analogy. We know that it is fully disconnected and shifting a FLP when the switch is off. The area of concern is when the switch is on and your tranny is in stock form. The question is: "Is it shifting at exactly equal line pressures as it does when that light isn't in the line(Stock)?" As I said before, I understand ch13f's logic. I would like to figure this out because I don't know myself. I will say that if the extra resistor and corresponding LED in the switch does change the reading to the sensor and in turn change line pressure it is immeserable with bodily senses. As another note, I would guess that 12 volts is running through the DR because the switch I'm running is for aftermarket foglights and the LED is lighting up. Those systems run the full brute of power(12V) through the switch unit seeing as there is no relay.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:02 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

What I was tring to say was if you used the voltage that was in the DR wires to power a light then the DR wont see it because the light would be on only when the DR was disconnected.

But now that I think about it, the question doesnt make sence and for this to work either does my answer. If the light was not isolated from the DR wires (it would be inline all the time and powered by the DR wires) wouldnt it be powered all the time and become some extra resistance? What needs to be done is this. Get a switch that has a light in it already, but it will have to be DPST so the DR wires are separate from the light's power. The +12 and ground wires that power the activation light have to be separate from the drop resistors wires. This way the light will light up and the DR mod will work with the same switch. I wouldn't mess with the DR wires by tring to add/power a light with its voltage. Am I still confusing?
Old 04-27-2004, 05:39 PM
LIMaxin

Well to make life easy i just bought a small light which shines on the button lol

Old 04-27-2004, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima10to1
What I was tring to say was if you used the voltage that was in the DR wires to power a light then the DR wont see it because the light would be on only when the DR was disconnected.

But now that I think about it, the question doesnt make sence and for this to work either does my answer. If the light was not isolated from the DR wires (it would be inline all the time and powered by the DR wires) wouldnt it be powered all the time and become some extra resistance? What needs to be done is this. Get a switch that has a light in it already, but it will have to be DPST so the DR wires are separate from the light's power. The +12 and ground wires that power the activation light have to be separate from the drop resistors wires. This way the light will light up and the DR mod will work with the same switch. I wouldn't mess with the DR wires by tring to add/power a light with its voltage. Am I still confusing?
No I understand what you are trying/want to do, and it is possible.I just did this my self the other day. You need a special switch to do this. I dont know if they make it in another style, but mine is a toggle switch.

Instead of it being just on and off. It's on-on. The power goes to the middle terminal on the switch, the upper terminal is for one power source and the lower terminal is for another power source. When you turn one source off the other gets power and visa versa.
So what you do is, figure out which wire is the hot wire, and run that to the power source terminal on the switch. Run one led to the resistor and then the other led to the light, and then ground the other wire for the light. Now, when you have it in "normal shift mode" there is no light on, but when you turn it on to shift at full line pressure, the light will be on.
If you need some further clarification let me know.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:32 AM
2060lbs and falling...

What are you guys talking about. I used a simple three prong switch(PWR, GROUND, SWTCH GROUND) and it works it fine. Lights up when its on stock and doesn't light when harsh. Its actually kinda cool cause the light blinks when its in harsh mode right before the shift.