4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

5 speed leakage

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

5 speed leakage

hey whatusp guys, my friend just purchased a 97 5speed, he drove it for a while and found that it has a leak somewhere in the left axle area (where it meets gearbox, but i cant confirm this, the fluid color was on the clear side, i personally own an auto and dont know much about the 5speed, i was wondering where it possibly can leak, it has 168k miles on it, car runs perfectly

on a side note, its on the original clutch, how much would this approximately run if he took it toa mechanic, or how many hours of labor approximately
Old 05-08-2004, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by mansurxk
hey whatusp guys, my friend just purchased a 97 5speed, he drove it for a while and found that it has a leak somewhere in the left axle area (where it meets gearbox, but i cant confirm this, the fluid color was on the clear side, i personally own an auto and dont know much about the 5speed, i was wondering where it possibly can leak, it has 168k miles on it, car runs perfectly

on a side note, its on the original clutch, how much would this approximately run if he took it toa mechanic, or how many hours of labor approximately
Only leak I've had with my 97 SE 5spd was from the oil pressure switch. Drop of two on the ground whenever I parked. Course this was oil and dark. Replaced the switch and no problems. OPS located on the passenger side of engine bay behind the the oil filter. Clear fluid could indicate tran fluid. I was using Redline MT 90 and it was clear but I've got AMSOIL in it now and its blue/green. Hope you find the problem. I love my Max. It will be handed down to my son (BTW, 106K now)in a couple of years....I'm thinking Mini Cooper S for my next ride.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:16 PM
Hooooooonda.....

My buddy has the exact same thing. It leaks where the driver's axle meets that trans case. There is really nothing you can do yourself unless you have good mechanics skills. Just take it to a shop and they'll do it for you. It's a bearing seal leak or something like that.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:22 PM

168 on the original clutch is kinda high ?? even babied they go 120 maybe 130

-matt
Old 05-09-2004, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Big D
My buddy has the exact same thing. It leaks where the driver's axle meets that trans case. There is really nothing you can do yourself unless you have good mechanics skills. Just take it to a shop and they'll do it for you. It's a bearing seal leak or something like that.

thanks bigD, i lifted it up on ramps almost immediately after we drove the car again, and it was the seal because i caught it right when it started dripping, took it to my mechanic and he said $45 to fix it, sounds good to me , he paid $2600 for a '97 5speed with 168k on it, just has a bad AC compressor, runs like a dream though, thanks again for the help
Old 05-09-2004, 08:26 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by Big D

If you are leaking transmission fluid from your left axle area, then your differential bearings are going. At least, that's the common symptoms for alot of 5-spd owners who have had this problem. Listen to the first couple of gears as you are accelerating... you may hear a whining sound. I know you had it patched up, but just be very aware for those noises. good luck
Old 05-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Hooooooonda.....

It's actually my friend's car. He just took the car in to get it all fixed along with a fidanza fly and a exedy clutch. Hopefully that will solve all the problems including the gauges not working, guessing speed sensor or something.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

...what nadir_s said. I'm willing to bet that the differential bearings are shot. It is possible for the seal to be bad though. Before you take it to your mechanic, go under the car again and wiggle the axle where it goes into the transmission. If there is freeplay, a new seal won't fix that.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Chassis Freak

I have a 99 with 76K miles and recently got both axle seals replaced. I have no noises or other tranny problems, so I think it was just the driver side seal and my diff bearings are good for now. But it cost $6.46 each for the seals plus $204 labor at the Nissan dealer, so if you can get it properly done for $45 that's a steal. But I kind of doubt it because it's about three hours of labor. The front wheels, brakes (I think), and axles all have to be removed to get at the axle seals. Big job for a little problem.

Supposedly if there's a lot of play in your axles that means your bearings are shot (big problem).
Old 05-09-2004, 11:41 AM
Chassis Freak

Oh yeah, I had major leakage from the drivers side axle seal, that was the only symptom that prompted the repair. If you have noises from your tranny that's bad news. Also, be sure to have them refill your tranny with Redline MT-90 if you get your seals replaced because they have to drain and refill the tranny anyway. Redline is awesome stuff.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:16 AM

just don't be surprised if the new seals start to leak within a month or 2.
as stated above, often the seals are only leaky because the diffy bearing is moving too much.
i hope for your sake that it was just a bad seal.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Chassis Freak

It's been two months and no leaking, but I've definitley got my fingers crossed.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Masaccio
It's been two months and no leaking, but I've definitley got my fingers crossed.

got an update from my friend today, took it to two differnet mechanics, first one said rack and pinion was leaking, second one said the same thing, any truth in this?
Old 05-10-2004, 07:58 PM

So the fluid leaking is not coming from the tranny at all?? Based on general automotive knowledge, I'd say it's easily possible that your rack and pinion is leaky. Either at the seals on the end of the rack or the more common thing is the hoses that go to and from it. The pump puts alot of pressure on those hoses.

Check the power steering fluid level. Does it ever go down?? Does the steering ever growl from lack of fluid?

But if you tranny was leaking, I would agree with what the guys already said: differential bearing needs replacing and shimmed properly...basically a tranny rebuild.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:03 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by mansurxk
got an update from my friend today, took it to two differnet mechanics, first one said rack and pinion was leaking, second one said the same thing, any truth in this?

so wait, how much of it is leaking?? Alot? Does it smell horrible?