4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Problems with original CD deck

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 10:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Problems with original CD deck

[FONT=Book Antiqua]I drive a 1995 Maxima (we got it new back in '95) and I havent made any modifications except for technical stuff (batteries, etc). Lately the CD player has been ****ing me off. One day it will play CD-Rs perfectly fine, but will refuse to play brand new disks. It will work fine for a while, and then upon putting in a new CD, it will say "error". I've tried cleaning the lens, but that did not help. Some days it will skip alot, others not so much, and other days it will be perfect. Because it is very inconsistant I was thinking of buying a new CD deck. I don't want to buy subs and all of that, I like the Bose system the way it is. I have heard though, that by buying new decks could mess up the audio system. I havent seen any decks that fit, either (although they can still install it). What is the best thing to do if I need to upgrade my deck?[/FONT]
Old 05-08-2004, 12:14 PM

If you upgrade you need to buy all new speakers too! The Bose system has powered speakers and most head unit upgrades have their own power amp built in and won't be compatible with stock Bose.

I wouldn't bother upgrading. The Bose system is pretty good by itself.
Check on ebay for a good used Bose unit. The unit is pretty easy to replace.
You can even sell you old unit on ebay with the funky CD errors.

I might even be interested in it since mine has a dead display!
Just let me know!
Old 05-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My Bose stereo had been acting up similar to yours: CD displaying ERR and the power kept switching on and off several times then finally went dead. A few months ago I found a repair site in Florida which repaired it for $160.00 plus shipping and they offer a one year warranty. I wanted to maintain OEM and stay with BOSE. It took close to a month for the unit to be returned and I'm happy with the results.

Their website is: www.carstereohelp.com