4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Weight Reduction Methods

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Go Get a Life!

Weight Reduction Methods

I would like to know from all you guys what are the different and creative things you could do to save as much weight as possible to your Max.
Im going to stress this point (AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE). If someone can provide me with the exact weight on seats carpet spare tire ...and so on.. and if you have pics that would be great post them. One more thing who has the lightest 4Th Gen.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:06 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by japmaxSE
I would like to know from all you guys what are the different and creative things you could do to save as much weight as possible to your Max.
Im going to stress this point (AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE). If someone can provide me with the exact weight on seats carpet spare tire ...and so on.. and if you have pics that would be great post them. One more thing who has the lightest 4Th Gen.
With my carbon fiber trunk( thats not on yet) my car will weigh about 2725 lbs. Thats with ac still in and power steering on. I have to say when I tell people the weight i took out they dont believe it because it CAN'T be seen at all. The tar on the floor was between 25-30lbs including rear seat area. Just behind the dash between the rubber matting and brackets and other things there is between 20-25lbs to be had ,thats not including airbags i have both still.
I will stop when my max weighs in the 2500lb range and it will still look like it wasnt weighjt reduced it can be done.
Future reduction is electric power steering -10lbs (put on hold for 2000 vi which is -5lbs). Carbon fiber sunroof -15lbs, Aluminum bumpers -20lbs off 95 max, Carbon fiber hood -25lbs, jic coilovers -20lbs,cefiro lights -5lbs,And after all this the AC will come off which is -33lbs. At this point its 2592lbs but there is one place to take -30 to -40 off my car the under coating maybe in the fall.
But also I replace steel brackets with aluminum ones and grind some things thinner with right angle die grinder.

But for the lightest max its papa smurf max i think.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:43 AM
SLOW

Front passenger (non power) is 40 lbs, spare is ~25 lbs, rear foam bench is ~10 lbs. Papasmurf probably has the lightest max but he's not even on the .org anymore I don't think. Mine used to be light when I took it to the track it was generally 2900 with me in it which is 2755 without me, but now it's heavier since I don't typically bother to take my seats out anymore, and I don't have a CF hood anymore either. Yesterday at the track with me in it it was 3034lbs.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Here's an excellent site for weight reduction

http://lighter.maxdes.net/

Enjoy!!
Old 05-10-2004, 06:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can save quite a bit of weight by drilling lightening holes in your gas tank. Same principle cyclists use when they drill their water bottles.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:47 AM

there was a guy who posted alot of the different things he had done and it turned into a huge argument. I think he removed his sunroof and said it weighed like 34lbs and it all went downhill form there. Somethin I would do b/c they are really light compared to stock is coilovers.....
Old 05-10-2004, 10:35 AM
2060lbs and falling...

I just don't understand how you guys weigh so little. Maybe the scale here is off but in street trim I weighed 3120 with 1/2 tank and about 40-50Ibs of street trim weight reduction. Krismax, how much louder is the ride after removing the tar stuff? Maybe the three layers of paint I have weighs more than I think. How much you think a coat of paint weighs? 5Ibs a coat x 2 extra layers?
Old 05-10-2004, 03:07 PM
SLOW

Could have something to do with this.

Originally Posted by broaner22
Sound: Alumapro Alchemy RX 12", Orion 400.2, Wheel Well Enclosure, Hel!a lot a Cascade, Stinger 1 Farad Cap.
My car in its current state weighs about 2900 exactly with no spare and 1/4 tank of gas. That's without me in it.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:30 PM
2060lbs and falling...

All that weighs right around 50. Thats why I mentioned that I'm 40-50Ibs lighter than stock. I've lost over 100Ibs all together and then add in the system and it brings me back up. Check my homepage for details. Anyone else?
Old 05-10-2004, 06:37 PM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Could have something to do with this.

My car in its current state weighs about 2900 exactly with no spare and 1/4 tank of gas. That's without me in it.
Now I don't feel so fat. I'm at 2960 with full cloth seats & power moonroof. That is with my 12lb battery though. Oh, wait. Civics are below 2000. I am fat.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Some guy took off the visor's and replaced them with cf. Not much weight reduction, but if you do a bunch of those little things it will add up. Maybe this gives you an idea.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:46 PM
Old Maxima Legend

dont forget tires and rims - this is a biggy !! cut weight off those rims and get a light tire !!

bose speakers are about 3 lbs a piece, floor mats 9 lbs, rear door panels 3 lbs a piece, center console is around 9 lbs, leather power passenger side seat 49 lbs, leather rear seat and metal plate 36 lbs, rear seat belts are about 3 lbs a piece.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:47 PM
Father of the 00 VI

I just don't understand how you guys weigh so little. Maybe the scale here is off but in street trim I weighed 3120 with 1/2 tank and about 40-50Ibs of street trim weight reduction. Krismax, how much louder is the ride after removing the tar stuff? Maybe the three layers of paint I have weighs more than I think. How much you think a coat of paint weighs? 5Ibs a coat x 2 extra layers?
That paint weighs more than that, I just stripped the paint off 4 of my 15x7 inch rims and the total was alittle under 3 lbs. I had a y-pipe and catback before the tar stripping ,didn't really change the sound level at all. Its still quiet with no drone at highway speeds. Most of my driving is highway so i can stand alittle loudness somtimes.
Im also going to strip the undercoating off the bottom of the car this could be good for alot of weight
I will not put anything on or in my car that is not lighter than stock.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:51 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Now that we've got a healthy discussion going, what are your opinions on removing the AC system. So its 30+ Ibs but how much power does it free up? I know the condenser has a clutch so I'm wondering if its worth it to loose the weight and only 1-2HP/TQ.

Wow! I never would have guessed that paint weighs so much. What type of rims are they? Is the paint on rims any thicker than body paint? So you think I could be as much as or more than 30Ibs heavier due to paint? Damn that sux if true. How much louder is the road noise after removing the undercoating? Also, what size are your tires?
Old 05-11-2004, 08:05 PM

i took of my A/C and i did notice more than just 1 to 2 hp...but i also installed a UDP couple days before i removed the A/C so it really did alot for me. I also striped my trunk and the back seats, but i still have the back door panels, also the back seat belts are gone. but next week for the track im strippin it all -

-all door panels
-headlights/corners
-front bumper support
-passanger seat
-glove compartment/and the plate behind there
-the interior and the metal plate under the stering wheel
-center council
-all the plastic under and to the side of the engine bay
-taking off the muffler

i haven't weight my self yet but i hope to do it soon.

And il also be running ram air sence the battery is in the trunk and i will have no headlights.

Hey Ceasars cheriot.....i haven't removed my air bags yet but i still plan on it....probably with in the next 2 weeks or so, but if u did it let me know how it went. i think i might throw on a sparco sterring wheel also. that hopefully should take some weight off.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:57 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Yeah I was thinking about doing the driver airbag as well. I was hoping to make some money by selling the steering wheel but they wouldn't take it because they thought I wasn't legit. Apparently Airbag theft is big business. Anyways, so my steering wheel plans are on hold for a bit.

maxima98vspec, thanks for the input but do you have any real #'s. How hot does it get in Salt Lake? Is it a pain in the @ss to not have AC? Do you windows fog up a lot or does it not get that humid often?
Old 05-12-2004, 10:15 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Now that we've got a healthy discussion going, what are your opinions on removing the AC system. So its 30+ Ibs but how much power does it free up? I know the condenser has a clutch so I'm wondering if its worth it to loose the weight and only 1-2HP/TQ.

Wow! I never would have guessed that paint weighs so much. What type of rims are they? Is the paint on rims any thicker than body paint? So you think I could be as much as or more than 30Ibs heavier due to paint? Damn that sux if true. How much louder is the road noise after removing the undercoating? Also, what size are your tires?
First the AC you can put a shorter belt on the car to bypass the AC,(I think 3-4 fwhp,Ive seen PS dynoes 5-8 fwhp from civics) the AC will be the last thing I take of. Probably the amout i'll need to get in the 2500's. But i would never take it off now at this point. I will try the belt for a while.

Now my rims are kosei k-1's there powdercoated thats heavier. So a coat of paint on a car with clear coat is probably around 20-30 lbs.
And the undercoating is still on it will be replaced with POR 15.
P.S my sister lives in madison
Old 05-19-2004, 04:50 PM
2060lbs and falling...

So if a stock GLE weighs 2982 how come I weigh 3120 with a fair amount of weight reduction and a 1/2 tank of gas? One thing that I've never seen anyone mention are the foglight brackets. They weight 1.5Ibs together. I know if you removed your fogs you probably took out the bracket too but I'm refering to GLE and GXE people that don't know they have them to begin with. Why would Nissan spend extra money to put the bracket on all models when it won't be used more than 50% of the time?